Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving home from NYC...bank accounts etc.

Moving home from NYC...bank accounts etc.

Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Vicious B will become famous soon enough
Default Moving home from NYC...bank accounts etc.

Will be moving home from NYC in March. Can I keep my HSBC bank account in the US open? Am thinking about my taxes and where my refund will go etc. plus want to keep my credit card open for a couple of months, whilst I find my feet back in London.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:42 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving home from NYC...bank accounts etc.

Yes of course. My spouse gave up his green card almost a decade ago when he went back to Singapore and then Switzerland on expat postings. He/we kept our checking account open with Chase as we still had our house in New Jersey and had to pay the mortgage and utility bills on it - (our son was living in the house).

My spouse transferred back to the office in Times Square about 18 months ago (he’s on an L1-A visa) and continues to use the same checking account.

Incidentally we have found that non-US banks and financial institutions really don’t like customers having any ties to the USA (eg. Citizens, green card holders, visa holders or a US residential address). When we were in Switzerland most of the Swiss banks and even the Postfinance post office bank no longer wanted to deal with anyone with US ties and stopped letting them opening new accounts, but would reluctantly open accounts in some cases if someone was on an expat posting for up to 5 years.

Right now we have had a letter from a financial company based in Singapore stating that they are closing down our share account because we are resident in the US and I remember that a few years ago the (UK) Post Office closed down an investment account (passbook) which I’d opened when my son was born, again because of US residency.

It’s all to do with FATCA (or something with similar initials) afaik; overseas financial institutions just don’t want the hassle of doing time-consuming and intensive reporting to the IRS and would prefer to lose the business by closing customers’ accounts.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Yes of course. My spouse gave up his green card almost a decade ago when he went back to Singapore and then Switzerland on expat postings. He/we kept our checking account open with Chase as we still had our house in New Jersey and had to pay the mortgage and utility bills on it - (our son was living in the house).

My spouse transferred back to the office in Times Square about 18 months ago (he’s on an L1-A visa) and continues to use the same checking account.

Incidentally we have found that non-US banks and financial institutions really don’t like customers having any ties to the USA (eg. Citizens, green card holders, visa holders or a US residential address). When we were in Switzerland most of the Swiss banks and even the Postfinance post office bank no longer wanted to deal with anyone with US ties and stopped letting them opening new accounts, but would reluctantly open accounts in some cases if someone was on an expat posting for up to 5 years.

Right now we have had a letter from a financial company based in Singapore stating that they are closing down our share account because we are resident in the US and I remember that a few years ago the (UK) Post Office closed down an investment account (passbook) which I’d opened when my son was born, again because of US residency.

It’s all to do with FATCA (or something with similar initials) afaik; overseas financial institutions just don’t want the hassle of doing time-consuming and intensive reporting to the IRS and would prefer to lose the business by closing customers’ accounts.
Same the world over! Banks here do not want to open $ accounts for US citizens due the onerous nature of FACTA reporting. We had to fill in forms confirming we were NOT US citizens to get accounts here.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

I have HSBC (premier) accounts open already in both the UK and the US, does that make a difference. I'm assuming there is no legal reason not to have them open in the US??
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:26 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vicious B
I have HSBC (premier) accounts open already in both the UK and the US, does that make a difference. I'm assuming there is no legal reason not to have them open in the US??
I have HSBC (Premier) accounts in Canada, France and the UK. No problems.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Both my son and I have HSBC accounts in the USA and UK. Works really well.

I also have maintained my US credit card with HSBC as it has no foreign transaction fees, useful for when we travel. (We also have a UK credit card but it does have foreign transaction fees)
Old Jan 20th 2018, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

for the HSBC USA account people, would you know if they can change my address to the UK, as I won't have an address here post end Feb...
Old Jan 20th 2018, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vicious B
for the HSBC USA account people, would you know if they can change my address to the UK, as I won't have an address here post end Feb...
Yes, my address with HSBC USA is my UK address, and my HSBC USA credit card also has my UK address associated with it.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Yes, my address with HSBC USA is my UK address, and my HSBC USA credit card also has my UK address associated with it.
that's great to hear, thanks a lot!