Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving foreign Covid vax record to UK/NHS

Moving foreign Covid vax record to UK/NHS

Old Jun 24th 2021, 8:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving foreign Covid vax record to UK/NHS

Originally Posted by countrygirl33
Ok , thanks I will try.. I have an old NHS number from 40 yrs ago. I'm waiting for a new NHS number., Anyone know how long that takes? I'm assuming I will need the new number to access the NHS app..
Your old number is your NHS number, you get it just after birth and it's with you for life usually.
Old Jun 24th 2021, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Your old number is your NHS number, you get it just after birth and it's with you for life usually.
Not for us oldies.

When we returned in 2016 after 29 years away we still had our medical cards from our last GP in 1987. Our NHS number was a completely different format and our old records could not be found. We were issued new NHS numbers within a week or two.
Old Jun 25th 2021, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

countrygirl33 is an unknown quantity at this point

I took my NHS card with me to GP which had a four or five digit number and letters .. Surgery told me the NHS numbers were changed few years ago to a 10 digit number . I am awaiting my new number
Old Jun 25th 2021, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I'm based in the UK but spend a lot of time in the US and got vaccinated there. I have my little vaccination card but have not yet found a way of transferring this to my NHS records.

There seems to be a lot of talk about some kind of NHS vaccination record being necessary to visit places like theatres, sporting events, travel etc.

Just wondering how this is going to work for returning expats, tourists etc who were vaccinated outside the UK.
Hi, I downloaded the NHS app and my details are on the app.
Old Jun 25th 2021, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
That is perfect.

My wife and I got a letter today from the lead vaccine trial consultant which is to be used as a vaccine certificate if needed for travel until the NHS app is modified to show us fully vaccinated in the app e-certificate. (our NHS record on the app shows us as having 2 doses of vaccine but the 2nd dose does not register on the e-certificate). A separate letter from the deputy CMO, Prof Van Tam, assures us that the NHS app will be updated by the end of July.
Old Jun 26th 2021, 2:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by countrygirl33
I took my NHS card with me to GP which had a four or five digit number and letters .. Surgery told me the NHS numbers were changed few years ago to a 10 digit number . I am awaiting my new number
That's odd, mine's been a 10 digit number for the past few decades (ok, maybe more than a few!).
Old Jun 27th 2021, 2:30 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad
That is perfect.

My wife and I got a letter today from the lead vaccine trial consultant which is to be used as a vaccine certificate if needed for travel until the NHS app is modified to show us fully vaccinated in the app e-certificate. (our NHS record on the app shows us as having 2 doses of vaccine but the 2nd dose does not register on the e-certificate). A separate letter from the deputy CMO, Prof Van Tam, assures us that the NHS app will be updated by the end of July.
We just got our second jab yesterday which was Pfizer after getting AstraZeneca for our first. We have been really tired which is a side effect but fingers crossed it all goes well. Let us know how your trial progresses.
Old Jun 27th 2021, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by vh3
We just got our second jab yesterday which was Pfizer after getting AstraZeneca for our first. We have been really tired which is a side effect but fingers crossed it all goes well. Let us know how your trial progresses.
Early results from the Spanish trial showed that AZ followed by Pfizer gave a stronger immune response. I think mixing an mRNA vaccine with another type is going to prove to be excellent. The results from the UK AZ mixed with Pfizer should be out before the end of the year. Our trial of mixing either AZ or Pfizer with Moderna or Novavax won’t be out until early next year. We had more blood tests taken a few days ago and we must be doing okay as they said that if immunity started falling we’d be “unblinded” and given a booster.
Old Jun 28th 2021, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

The UK mixed vaccine trial with AZ and Pfizer supports the results from the Spanish trial. Really good news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57636356

A mix-and-match approach to Covid vaccines - using different brands of jab for first and second doses - gives good protection against the pandemic virus, a UK study has found.
Old Jun 30th 2021, 11:15 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Sigh. Not looking good.

I talked to a guy from the NHS England vaccination coordination team who had called me to persuade me to get vaccinated.

I explained that I’d been vaccinated in the US and asked how I could get my record added here. He told me to contact my GP and they could add it.

Just spoke to my surgery’s Covid vax coordinator who assured me that my 2 Pfizer vaccinations had been added to my records. I checked my NHS App, but they don’t show.

She explained that they can only add the vaccinations to the surgery’s records. She insisted that they cannot add them via Pinnacle. I’d be interested to know how Countrygirl’s surgery managed this?

Apparently she’s come across lots of people in the same situation, but there is no ‘official’ way of dealing with this. She suggested I get an official record from the US, but as far as I’m aware there is no such thing as yet. Or is there?

I asked could I just have a second set of vaccinations here, but apparently that’s not allowed.

I guess I’m going to try and call someone at “the NHS” (not sure who…), but I’m not holding out much hope.

NB: here are the official NHS England guidelines, according to which a Covid vax pass can only be obtained if vaccinated in England:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/corona...19/covid-pass/

The surgery’s vaccination coordinator said that even vaccinations from the other UK countries are not recognized by NHS England!! What a shambles.

According to the guidelines:
Negative PCR test or rapid lateral flow test within the past 48 hours
will also result in a temporary pass.

Last edited by Elvira; Jun 30th 2021 at 11:28 am.
Old Jun 30th 2021, 11:31 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
please can you elaborate. Are you saying you got vaccinated abroad but the NHS App shows your vaccinations? If so how did you make this happen?
Old Jul 1st 2021, 3:28 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

She explained that they can only add the vaccinations to the surgery’s records. She insisted that they cannot add them via Pinnacle. I’d be interested to know how Countrygirl’s surgery managed this?

Apparently she’s come across lots of people in the same situation, but there is no ‘official’ way of dealing with this. She suggested I get an official record from the US, but as far as I’m aware there is no such thing as yet. Or is there?
https://www.technologyreview.com/202...assport-guide/

This article lists all US states, listing vaccine passport status in each. President Biden has said the US won’t do it, CDC say they don’t have records of individuals.. some states (such as Florida and Texas) have banned any vaccine passport requirement. NY have had a system in place for many months, but I believe only a couple of other states have similar.

Old Jul 1st 2021, 4:54 pm
Homebody

Thanks Robin.
Fortunately I was vaccinated in California.
Unfortunately the system cannot find my vaccination record…
I feel I’m going round in circles!

Old Jul 2nd 2021, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Robin.
Fortunately I was vaccinated in California.
Unfortunately the system cannot find my vaccination record…
I feel I’m going round in circles!
Assuming that you already did an online lookup, did you submit a troubleshooting form?

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID...ineRecord.aspx

Fwiw, my lookup succeeded and it did send me the digital record QR code within seconds.

Unconvinced that this is going to help you transfer the record though.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jul 2nd 2021 at 11:02 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2021, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by vh3
I don’t know if I ever revealed the results of the trial we were on. It was ended early, in October, so that participants could get a booster.

Turns out both my wife and I had Novavax as our 2nd dose and that combination provided a “more robust” immune response than 2 AZ doses. (Our first dose had been AZ). On November 9th we went back for a final visit to give more samples and get a Pfizer jab. Next day our Covid passes, domestic and international, both showed us fully vaccinated!!

The results of the trial showed that there were no significant side effects with any combination and all provide good protection against Covid. (Delta). Novavax had fewest side effects and if ever fully licenced would be a good option for use with young children. It is also very easy to store and transport​​​​​, no freezing required, so will be an excellent choice for countries with hard to reach locations. It is already authorized for use in some countries.

here are the full results, published 6th December, from the trial we participated in

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-12-06...wing-pfizer-or

In a paper published in the Lancet, they report that participants receiving a first dose of Oxford-AstraZeneca or Pfizer-BioNTech generated a robust immune response when immunised nine weeks later with a second dose of COVID-19 vaccines manufactured by Novavax or Moderna. No safety concerns were raised in this study of 1,070 participants, who took part in the study across nine National Institute for Health Research-supported sites.

This study therefore supports flexible use of these vaccines in primary immunisation schedules, which is crucial to help rapid deployment of these vaccines, especially in low- and middle-income countries where vaccine supply may be inconsistent.

Last edited by durham_lad; Dec 15th 2021 at 2:51 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.