Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving English Bulldog from USA to UK in 2022

Moving English Bulldog from USA to UK in 2022

Old May 17th 2022, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

EliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving English Bulldog from USA to UK in 2022

I have gotten a job in London and I need to be in London within 90 days to start my new job.

I have 11 year old English Bulldog. He is very healthy and does not have any major health issues. I looked at several airlines and it seems flying him in the cabin is not going to happen. So it looks like he will have to go the cargo route.

I have reached out to Starwood and Air Animal pet shippers for quotes. They are not cheap by any means, but since my dog is my only child, money is no concern to me. All I care is that het gets to the UK in the most comfortable way possible.

Starwoord is currently telling me the earliest my dog can arrive in the UK is Sept 1, 2022. I'm still waiting for quote/details from Air Animal.

Can someone share some feedback on Starwood or Air Animal, especially if you moved a pet in the last 6 months or so and/or planning a move this year in 2022?
Old May 17th 2022, 7:34 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving English Bulldog from USA to UK in 2022

Originally Posted by EliDaBulldog
I have gotten a job in London and I need to be in London within 90 days to start my new job.

I have 11 year old English Bulldog. He is very healthy and does not have any major health issues. I looked at several airlines and it seems flying him in the cabin is not going to happen. So it looks like he will have to go the cargo route.

I have reached out to Starwood and Air Animal pet shippers for quotes. They are not cheap by any means, but since my dog is my only child, money is no concern to me. All I care is that het gets to the UK in the most comfortable way possible.

Starwoord is currently telling me the earliest my dog can arrive in the UK is Sept 1, 2022. I'm still waiting for quote/details from Air Animal.

Can someone share some feedback on Starwood or Air Animal, especially if you moved a pet in the last 6 months or so and/or planning a move this year in 2022?

I have not used them. As you say, they are very expensive. Whether you need them or not depends on how complicated it is for you getting your dog to the airport and so forth. You will still have to do paperwork, vet visits and so forth, and what the agencies tend to do is just remind you of what needs doing when. I couldn't pay what the agents were asking, so I am going DIY with my cat, but I'm based in Chicago, one of the homes of IAG (British Airways cargo group). so it's not too hard for me to take him to the cargo area to fly (tomorrow!). You must have an agent on the UK side, in all cases. You or your agent must also book at slot at the Heathrow Animal Reception Center - when I did it back in March it was an 8-week wait, so it is possible that with all the summer travel that has extended out. Also, I found out that they can't ship animals with certain other cargo aboard, in this case it was dry ice. This also reduces the number of available flights.

Dogs are more complicated than cats in terms of their health checks. I don't know about UK rules on the breed, but no animal can fly into the UK in the cabin anyway, (other than a service animal maybe). The hold is climate-controlled and much quieter than the cabin so perhaps more restful for the animals. We used to have someone on BE who worked ramps, and he said that the staff all like the animals and make sure that they are ok as they are loaded on and off.

Using an agent won't make the trip any more comfortable for your dog than for any other animal. I know it's worrying, but the Heathrow Animal Reception Centre, and my receiving agent (JC Livestock) have both been very nice and responsive. And IAG too - they will send someone up the ramp into the plane to confirm for me that the cat is on board. Agents will be helpful if your move is complicated, you need help getting the animal to the airport, and you don't want to be responsible for getting all the paperwork right by yourself. For what it's worth, my international moving company recommended Air Animal, but I haven't used them myself.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; May 17th 2022 at 7:38 pm.
Old May 18th 2022, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

EliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond repute

Lion in Winter Thanks very much for the response! I am still just getting quotes from these agents. I have not committed to any of them. I will look into the DIY route as well.
Old May 18th 2022, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

ascotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Look on Facebook for a group called 'US/UK Dog & Pet Repatriation Private Charter Jet Group'. It's a group for volunteers to come together and organize shared charter flights. Not much more expensive than using an agent for cargo.
Old May 18th 2022, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ascotty
Look on Facebook for a group called 'US/UK Dog & Pet Repatriation Private Charter Jet Group'. It's group for volunteers to come together and organize shared charter flights. Not much more expensive than using an agent for cargo.
Unfortunately I dont use social media and dont have any accounts. I also have no interest in joining Facebook. Thanks for sharing the info.
Old May 27th 2022, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

I am going with Starwood pet transport. After speaking with them, I feel good about their process and that my dog will be well cared for. Plus they are going to use Lufthansa and I read a lot of good things about how they care for pets.
Old Jun 3rd 2022, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

xbritto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EliDaBulldog

Hi there,

Do you know which airline your bulldog will be flying?

I have seen most airlines won’t fly snub nose dogs. We are trying to move back to the UK soon. But are struggling as we have two pugs to relocate with us.

Thank you!!
Old Jun 3rd 2022, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by xbritto
Hi there,

I have seen most airlines won’t fly snub nose dogs. We are trying to move back to the UK soon. But are struggling as we have two pugs to relocate with us.

Thank you!!
Yes I do, Starwood will be using Lufthansa to fly my bulldog. He will be flying from LAX to Frankfurt and then onto Manchester. Then they will drive him to my address in London. By all accounts and information I have gathered, Lufthansa is the best at handling pet transport. They have really nice animal terminal at FRA. Good luck with your move!
Old Aug 27th 2022, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Rebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by xbritto
Hi there,

Thank you!!
Hello xbritto - curious to know if you have been able to find an airline/transport company to transport your pugs? I've been enquiring with several airlines & agencies and have yet to find one that says they can take our pugs. I would be grateful if you could share any success you have find with moving yours.

Many thanks!
Old Aug 27th 2022, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

xbritto is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rebster
Hello xbritto - curious to know if you have been able to find an airline/transport company to transport your pugs? I've been enquiring with several airlines & agencies and have yet to find one that says they can take our pugs. I would be grateful if you could share any success you have find with moving yours.

Many thanks!
I’ve sent you a message!
Old Sep 2nd 2022, 2:36 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Any chance there is space on a forthcoming Transatlantic cruise on the queen Mary 2? Takes 7 days, you get to see your dog every day and the luxury of a nice cruse aboard a Cunard ship.
Last time I looked it was $1000 for the dog, about the same for the human.