Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving dog from Hong Kong w/o using pet re-locator

Wikiposts

Moving dog from Hong Kong w/o using pet re-locator

Old Jan 5th 2011, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

HK2UK has a spectacular aura aboutHK2UK has a spectacular aura aboutHK2UK has a spectacular aura about
Default Moving dog from Hong Kong w/o using pet re-locator

Hi guys,

Looking for some experiences and reassurance that this can be done as it feels like everybody here in Hong Kong uses a pet re-locator which makes me wonder if that is because it is soo difficult to do it yourself?

The pet companies have quoted us £1500+ but from researching online we'd be saving more than 50% if we did it ourselves!
The DEFRA site seems straightforward, a matter of ticking boxes in an order but I am sick with worry that there is more to it all hence the reason people use companies.

So far we have done the following in this order
  1. AVID chip (HK micro chip - was scanned so I know it was injected correctly)
  2. rabies vacc.
  3. ISO chip (UK micro chip - was scanned so I know it was injected correctly)
  4. rabies vacc.
  5. blood sample sent to the UK laboratories
  6. received confirmation that he tested positive for the rabies vacc

Incase people are wondering about WHY we would put 2 chips in our dog and vaccinate him twice, it is because we adopted him '2nd hand' from a shelter so when we got him he was already chipped with the HK one and we legally had to get him the vaccinated for rabies asap as his old owner just left it to expire (illegal!) and obviously had to repeat the vacc AFTER the ISO chip (which only specific vets can do in HK hence not being able to do it the same day) Poor pooch

Still need to pick up the certificate for this but we are a little worried about what info is needed on it for the UK authorities to okay it, any ideas?

That is all we have done so far and we're mid wait on the 6month part, we haven't found much specific resource for exactly what we are doing as like I mentioned everybody uses a company to do it all for them.
The vets we have used so far don't have much of a clue either (Some are even giving us the WRONG info) so its all a bit scary like stabbing in a semi dark room

We plan to fly around April and we know that we also need to;
  1. book his flight (we plan to fly direct from HK > LHR)
  2. buy his IATA compliant crate
  3. get a health certificate from a vet (can it be any vet?)
  4. WE THINK - endorsement of the health cert. from AFCD (HK equiv to DEFRA)
  5. tick and flea treatment 24-48 hours before flying

Is that it?! I've read elsewhere on this forum that we need him seen by a vet a few hours before flying to check he is fit to fly, can any verify this?

I don't think you can book their flights until nearer the flight date, is this true? Has anyone ever had trouble booking their pets flights?

We also don't know if its best to be on the same flight or to catch a slighter later flight so that if anything happens in HK, we will still be here but it seems crazy to send him flying on his own!
What is normal? What did you do?

FYI he is also a snub nosed dog although he is healthy! I know 'certain' airlines don't fly certain breeds of dogs through certain dates but so far we've not found this info anywhere.
We're going to ring Virgin as they are recently added to DEFRA's list of routes (they have extra baggage allowances!) but also know of Cathay and BA....I think KLM too.

ANY opinions is greatly appreciated

Last edited by HK2UK; Jan 5th 2011 at 5:44 pm. Reason: formatting
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:10 am
Just Joined

Bootleg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving dog from Hong Kong w/o using pet re-locator

When we moved from HK to Brussels 5 years ago the microchip that the vet used in Disco Bay could not be read in brussels so pls make sure it is a recognized chip. It didn't matter in Brussels but would have been a problem had we been going to the UK.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

HK2UK has a spectacular aura aboutHK2UK has a spectacular aura aboutHK2UK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bootleg
When we moved from HK to Brussels 5 years ago the microchip that the vet used in Disco Bay could not be read in brussels so pls make sure it is a recognized chip. It didn't matter in Brussels but would have been a problem had we been going to the UK.
We were told that LHR should have multi-chip readers (able to read the HK AVID chip) but we didn't want to risk it so we also 'installed' in him the UK ISO chip too so hopefully that won't be an issue!
Old Jan 6th 2011, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

"Looking for some experiences and reassurance that this can be done as it feels like everybody here in Hong Kong uses a pet re-locator which makes me wonder if that is because it is soo difficult to do it yourself?"

I have done it myself both going into and out of the UK from the US, the last time 4 months ago. It isn't that difficult at all but I personally found it stressful. I was worried that I hadn't done something right even though I had checked it upmteen times. The problem is now some of the airlines require you to use a pet service which is why a lot of people have do it. It is a lot more expensive but also people do it for convenience and timing (work requirements etc.)

Check with the airline you want to use and see what their rules are.

Still not sure why you have two chips (not that it matters now!). As long as he had the chip before the rabies injection and it is one recognised in the UK he should have been OK. My dog is a rescue dog with chip and I didn't get him another one. Just went through the shot, titre test etc. etc. and everything was OK.

Mine is a bulldog mix and certain airlines would not fly him. BA was OK (but required pet service from LHR) and KLM also had no problems with him. What they did require for a snub nosed breed was a crate one size larger than you would normally need.

Good luck!

Last edited by 1chumly; Jan 6th 2011 at 4:54 am.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

maz27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wondering how you got on relocating from Hong Kong with your pet? I have a friend who is being quoted a huge amount of money to relocate her pet back to the UK.

Would be most grateful for your assistance.