Moving dog back to uk

Old Feb 16th 2014, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Yogibear1961 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving dog back to uk

I know their has been a lot of threads about this, but I want to know if I am to travel in about eight weeks can I do the pet passport in this time? I read in the wiki section that you have to wait six months for the titter test results. Can any of this be done quickly? My dogs are eight and six and are up to date on all shots and would only need a booster shot of the rabies to get the pet passport.
Any information would be welcome thanks
Old Feb 16th 2014, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving dog back to uk

I think it would depend where you're coming from? Different rules for different countries. I know the rules were slackened a year or two ago.

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad
Old Feb 16th 2014, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are coming from the US then there is no longer a six month wait or titer needed. You cannot get a pet passport from the US you need to obtain a third country certificate that is approved by a USDA vet. Your dog must be microchipped and the microchip must have been inserted before the rabies shot was given. You will need a letter from your vet proving this and you will also need a copy of your rabies certificate with the microchip number on it. Take your dog to your regular vet 10 days before you fly and have them complete the third country certificate, then take this to a USDA state vet for their approval. This is valid for 10 days only. Then you will need to go back to your regular between 1-5 days before you travel for the tapeworm treatment and your vet will document this on the third country certificate. You really need to go to the DEFRA website as it is very specific on what needs to be done and by who. If you get it wrong then your go will be quarantined in the UK.

Last edited by lgabriel73; Feb 16th 2014 at 2:18 am.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
Take your dog to your regular vet 10 days before you fly and have them complete the third country certificate, then take this to a USDA state vet for their approval. This is valid for 10 days only.
In my view this is the tricky part. 10 days to ship is such a tight deadline, I don't know why isn't longer. In Phoenix here, as far as I know the nearest USDA office for approvals is in New Mexico. So that means we have to get it sent over promptly, and get it back promptly (ie expensively) 10 days before the pre-booked flight. Any delay in delivery and.....
Old Feb 17th 2014, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

MY USDA vet is about 2 hours away and I will be making an appointment and driving to get the paperwork just to make sure I have it. It is a difficult timeframe but there is no way around it. The certificate is only valid for travel for 10 days from the date it is approved. The UK doesn't have rabies and they intend to keep it that way. Fortuntely though they did change the quarantine rules in 2012 otherwise your dog would have to be in quarantine for six months.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 9:11 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
MY USDA vet is about 2 hours away and I will be making an appointment and driving to get the paperwork just to make sure I have it. It is a difficult timeframe but there is no way around it. The certificate is only valid for travel for 10 days from the date it is approved. The UK doesn't have rabies and they intend to keep it that way. Fortuntely though they did change the quarantine rules in 2012 otherwise your dog would have to be in quarantine for six months.
Having been through the quarantine process (not me, the dog) back in 2000, and through the "pet passport" process in 2006, I have to say the current system can't be faulted.

It's worth a day's inconvenience or the "expensive" costs of couriering documents to the USDA, in comparison to the £1,000's it cost me for 6 months kennelling. Luckily, my dog did fine with quarantine but there were plenty who didn't.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

kerrylily is on a distinguished road

Don't know if this helps - found it while digging up info myself: http://www.petrelocation.com/resourc...united-kingdom
I'm a little more concerned about the actual MOVING of my dog