Wikiposts

Moving to the "country"

Old Oct 19th 2009, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Velystiri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to the "country"

Hello all, I haven't been able to find the right kind of forum, or what I would believe to be the right kind of forum to ask this sort of thing. I am an American(not by choice ) and for some reason I have an obsession with the idea of moving to a rural part of England. As an example the city from the movie hot fuzz, or parts of Newcastle outside of the main city. I want to find a farm or farm type place to live, and work and just be in the open of the country and enjoy the rain and stuff like that. I mean does anyone know what parts of the country would be better for an idea like this, or if it is just a crazy pipe dream? I know this sounds weird, but I just want to get away from all the big city crap and all the bullshit politics and just live a life where I can work hard outdoors and enjoy the beautiful countryside. Anyways, criticisms are welcome, advice what have you.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to the "country"

Originally Posted by Velystiri
Hello all, I haven't been able to find the right kind of forum, or what I would believe to be the right kind of forum to ask this sort of thing. I am an American(not by choice ) and for some reason I have an obsession with the idea of moving to a rural part of England. As an example the city from the movie hot fuzz, or parts of Newcastle outside of the main city. I want to find a farm or farm type place to live, and work and just be in the open of the country and enjoy the rain and stuff like that. I mean does anyone know what parts of the country would be better for an idea like this, or if it is just a crazy pipe dream? I know this sounds weird, but I just want to get away from all the big city crap and all the bullshit politics and just live a life where I can work hard outdoors and enjoy the beautiful countryside. Anyways, criticisms are welcome, advice what have you.
I just moved here after 6 years in the US, to a rural part of England. I live in a small village of 500 people, away from the 'madding crowd' and it is lovely. I go running across fields and down country lanes, and have a drink in the village pub. No sirens tearing up and down the road, and more often I hear horses clip-clopping past the house. I live in the East Midlands, and travel a lot for my job and it is beautiful for miles around.

I say, go for it. You only live once.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 3:26 pm
Erica

Erica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to all

I come from Chipping Norton in Oxfordshire. It really really reminded me of the town in Hot Fuzz which was so hilarious! It is expensive there compared to the North of the country though but there are lots of farms and it is stunningly beautiful. I share your dream. Good luck!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I understand the town in Hot Fuzz was filmed in Wells Somerset. Let's hope the locals are not like the ones in Hot Fuzz though!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 3:46 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I understand the town in Hot Fuzz was filmed in Wells Somerset. Let's hope the locals are not like the ones in Hot Fuzz though!
I was just thinking that! I don't think I'd want to live somewhere they kill off the annoying ones, even if they are teens in hoodies
Old Oct 19th 2009, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Don't move just because of what you've seen in movies.

Even a good one like ' Hot Fuzz'
Old Oct 19th 2009, 11:53 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
You beat me to it!

Wells is lovely - I grew up there

However - it is a small town so may not suit those used to big city living.