Reload this Page >

Moving from Canada to uk tax issues

Moving from Canada to uk tax issues

Old May 9th 2021, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

mcleodfamily is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from Canada to uk tax issues

Hello,

I apologise if this question has been asked before and I’ve tried to look but have had no luck seeing a previous thread.

I am a dual citizen between Canada and the U.K. and I am thinking about moving to Scotland.

I have had some recently tell me that when I do make the move that I will need to give up my Canadian citizenship or else I will have to continue to pay taxes in Canada.

I have tried to look this up online but have found no information on this, and I am not sure if it is true because I currently don’t pay taxes in the U.K. but have my citizenship there.

I’m sorry if this is a silly question and appreciate anyone’s help 😃😃
Old May 9th 2021, 8:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Canada to uk tax issues

Nope, not true at all! There's a tax treaty between the two countries, you won't pay tax twice.

Hope the move back goes well.
Old May 9th 2021, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much!! 😀

I did not think I had to but my friend was convinced otherwise and had me doubting myself haha
Old May 10th 2021, 10:32 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mcleodfamily
I have had some recently tell me that when I do make the move that I will need to give up my Canadian citizenship or else I will have to continue to pay taxes in Canada.
Perhaps they are assuming Canada has similar tax laws to the US, whose citizens have to continue paying taxes when they move abroad. I think only one other country (Albania?) does this.

You do have to inform Revenue Canada of the date you leave the country.
Old May 11th 2021, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
Perhaps they are assuming Canada has similar tax laws to the US, whose citizens have to continue paying taxes when they move abroad. I think only one other country (Albania?) does this.

You do have to inform Revenue Canada of the date you leave the country.
I don’t believe that is true. Canadians living abroad may be subject to taxes on income derived in Canada but not on worldwide income, unlike the USA and Eritrea who tax worldwide income no matter where you live.

https://www.greenbacktaxservices.com...ased-taxation/

Countries that use residence-based taxation include Japan, Mexico, Canada, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and most of the EU. A handful of other countries across Africa, Asia, and South America use similar systems.
Old May 12th 2021, 8:56 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I don’t believe that is true. Canadians living abroad may be subject to taxes on income derived in Canada but not on worldwide income, unlike the USA and Eritrea who tax worldwide income no matter where you live.

https://www.greenbacktaxservices.com...ased-taxation/
Yes, that's what I meant. The USA is one of the few countries that taxes on worldwide income even if you live abroad and have no income in the USA. The person who advised the OP might be thinking Canada has this type of tax regime.
Old May 21st 2021, 3:08 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for commenting on my post!