Moving Canada to the UK

Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about
Default Moving Canada to the UK

Hello

I am frustrated with the work situation here in Canada, ie not recogizing professional qualifications is just one of the frustrations that I have had to endure. Working as professional on low salary and job title that doesn't represent that duties that are expected to be carried out is a little cheeky. I do love Canada in so many ways but after 3 years, I have still not achieve the same level as I was in UK. I have proved myself on many occasions and undergone additional training.

I would love to know your reasons for going back to the UK, if you don't mind telling me.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving Canada to the UK

Sorry to hear about your professional frustrations. So many people are in the same boat it seems. The number of people I have come across who tell me that they are highly qualified and have low-paid, crappy jobs.

For us, our frustrations lie with the lack of social life and remoteness of Calgary.

We do longish hours now, but are still exhausted because we're getting up at 5/5:30am in the dark and getting home when its dark. That, and the -30 degrees freezer experience first thing in the morning is a tough one to get used to. Summer is much better, but short.

In May we will have been here 2 yrs.

Last edited by AllyS; Jan 17th 2012 at 6:24 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Ally, I can understand that totally. Life is not a bed of roses and you do expect some difficulties when you get here, however it is not easy. We work harder in order to survive here and that is not what it is about, well not in my case anyway.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:44 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Back2UK
Thanks Ally, I can understand that totally. Life is not a bed of roses and you do expect some difficulties when you get here, however it is not easy. We work harder in order to survive here and that is not what it is about, well not in my case anyway.
+1
We're off as soon as we can get sorted before we get stuck in the grind that is the North American way of working.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Good luck I hope that you get sorted soon.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, I was prepared for the challenges, but as recent immigrants, we have a lot more to prove in the workplace.

Fortunately, my husband and I found work quickly and have had continuous work since we arrived here. I am a contractor and he is an employee at the same company. What have we to complain about really?

Yesterday I was buying my bus tickets and there was this man, a Canadian (who is always standing outside the shop hoping for some pocket money to help him out) its -30 degrees by the way.

When I spoke to him, he told me that he is on disability benefit, his is 61 (neither of his lungs work properly and he relies on an oxygen tank most of the time to help his breathing), but he stands outside the shop to try and get some extra $ for food as the disability benefit only just covers his rent but not all of his bills or food. This man is on death's door, alone and afraid of his disability with not enough money to live on. I bought him a sandwich, but am shocked that such a rich province like Alberta can't help someone in his state have the means to support himself. He said that he is constantly in and out of hospital.

The injustice of it all..........
Old Jan 17th 2012, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AllyS
Yes, I was prepared for the challenges, but as recent immigrants, we have a lot more to prove in the workplace.

Fortunately, my husband and I found work quickly and have had continuous work since we arrived here. I am a contractor and he is an employee at the same company. What have we to complain about really?

Yesterday I was buying my bus tickets and there was this man, a Canadian (who is always standing outside the shop hoping for some pocket money to help him out) its -30 degrees by the way.

When I spoke to him, he told me that he is on disability benefit, his is 61 (neither of his lungs work properly and he relies on an oxygen tank most of the time to help his breathing), but he stands outside the shop to try and get some extra $ for food as the disability benefit only just covers his rent but not all of his bills or food. This man is on death's door, alone and afraid of his disability with not enough money to live on. I bought him a sandwich, but am shocked that such a rich province like Alberta can't help someone in his state have the means to support himself. He said that he is constantly in and out of hospital.

The injustice of it all..........
Yep I don't understand that as well, why is there is so many people homeless people in Canada. I totally understand why people do can & bottle collecting now.

I have had a good time in Canada and made many friends, however I need to go back for my own sanity. Work is my life as well as travelling (Its so over expensive here) I have had one trip in 3 yrs, in the UK I would travel up to 4 times a year. I was well respected as a Consultant/Contractor in the UK. (Sort after) my work means nothing here. Work is a big part of my life and I need to get over that hurdle so if that means going back home to have it, I will. I know that my family and friends will be pleased.

It is good to hear other people situations., thanks
Old Jan 17th 2012, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think many of us are so caught up in our work, doing a good job, putting in the long hours that there is little energy left for the other stuff. In our case, taking on the extra-curricular activities that will enable us to get into some kind of social circle. We did a lot of hiking last summer.. but despite meeting so many people of all nationalities, no friendships have resulted.

Still, what hubby and I both wanted was to have the time to explore this continent properly, otherwise we might as well be back in the UK where we already know lots of people and can explore it by simply flying across the pond each time.

As it is, we only really have 2-3 weeks, and because his Mum is on her own, we always fly back to the UK for Christmas for 2 weeks (expensive at Christmas time, and timewise) and that leaves us with 1 week for the rest of the year.

Ah, and the people you mention who collect the cans and bottles around Calgary are known as "the working poor"..... these are the people who turn up at 'Inn from the Cold', etc.

Last edited by AllyS; Jan 17th 2012 at 7:18 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

craig_hoxton is an unknown quantity at this point

You've hit the nail on the head with this. Canadians just can't comprehend just how better-educated us Brits are compared to them.

My first "job" here was a volunteer at the Toronto Film Festival - the lady taking my application was amazed that I could also speak French and German.

It took me over 2 years to get a job related to my career field (journalism) which turned out to be the worst job I ever had (yes, my 1994 summer job of gutting fish was more rewarding and worthwhile than the 11 months I wasted working for a crap cable TV news channel).

Had to work my way through the hell that is Canadian retail (for legal reasons I can't tell you the name of the store but you could say it was a whole new chapter in my life) as well as Canadian retail banking (oh the stories I could tell).

At least when you apply for a job in the UK, you have an equal chance of getting it. Here in Canada, you have to know the right people to get your foot in the door. Plus my favourite scotch will be cheaper from the off-licence rather than the province-controlled alcohol monopoly.

This might prompt me to do a post of my own going over what I have been through here.

To paraphrase a line from "Withnail and I" - "I've come to Canada by mistake!"
Old Jan 19th 2012, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by craig_hoxton
You've hit the nail on the head with this. Canadians just can't comprehend just how better-educated us Brits are compared to them.

My first "job" here was a volunteer at the Toronto Film Festival - the lady taking my application was amazed that I could also speak French and German.

It took me over 2 years to get a job related to my career field (journalism) which turned out to be the worst job I ever had (yes, my 1994 summer job of gutting fish was more rewarding and worthwhile than the 11 months I wasted working for a crap cable TV news channel).

Had to work my way through the hell that is Canadian retail (for legal reasons I can't tell you the name of the store but you could say it was a whole new chapter in my life) as well as Canadian retail banking (oh the stories I could tell).

At least when you apply for a job in the UK, you have an equal chance of getting it. Here in Canada, you have to know the right people to get your foot in the door. Plus my favourite scotch will be cheaper from the off-licence rather than the province-controlled alcohol monopoly.

This might prompt me to do a post of my own going over what I have been through here.

To paraphrase a line from "Withnail and I" - "I've come to Canada by mistake!"

Your thread did make me smile, thank you.

I have been told that I am too educated to get various positions, I am over qualified (MSc). Yet they still want to utilize all my skills for lower pay and provide me with a job title that doesn't represent what I do. lol I feel your pain.

Another monopoly is cell phones and airlines.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by craig_hoxton
Canadians just can't comprehend just how better-educated us Brits are compared to them.
That's one hell of a generalization and probably not even an accurate one. If you look at world rankings for education, Canada actually ranks higher than the UK.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
That's one hell of a generalization and probably not even an accurate one. If you look at world rankings for education, Canada actually ranks higher than the UK.
MarlandNed

I agree that Canada is better than the UK for early leaning skills i.e. reading. The UK top universities out rank those in Canada and having a good degree from those gives you the edge in my view. Both my sons were A grade students in Canada and one of our reasons to return to the UK was to get them in UK Grammar school system and to the best universities. My eldest has achieved offers to read science at Cambridge, Imperial, Manchester. I would say the primary education in Canada they received was a good grounding to progress into the select Grammar school environment and to good and achieve a good university place.

Hudd
Old Jan 19th 2012, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

manny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nice

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I agree with you on this one after having lived in the US for the last 5 years. I have my qualifications from the UK and from my experience here in the US and collaboration in Canada I realized that the standard of education in the US and Canada is much better than in the UK. Here more emphasis is given to practical work where as in the UK there are many classes but less hands on experience.

Last edited by manny1980; Jan 19th 2012 at 11:08 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Your killing my thread.

We all have our own opinions from personal experience there is not right or wrong in this case.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 12:32 am
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Back2UK
Your killing my thread.

We all have our own opinions from personal experience there is not right or wrong in this case.
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.