Reload this Page >

Moving back from Zimbabwe with just a suitcase

Wikiposts

Moving back from Zimbabwe with just a suitcase

Old Oct 12th 2007, 3:46 am
Just Joined

Midlandboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back from Zimbabwe with just a suitcase

My friend was born and worked in England until her mid-twenties and then left to live abroad with her husband. About 20 years ago they moved to Zimbabwe. Conditions have got seriously worse and worse and with the death of her husband a year ago it is all now too much and she is desperate to move back. She has 2 sisters in this country, neither of whom are able to financially support her on her return as she will be returning with just what she can carry and very little savings (about £1000.00)
What support can she ask for from the Government? Should she just arrive in this country with nowhere to go or should she book into a B&B for a few days and then see the various agencies and take it from there?
Old Oct 12th 2007, 1:39 pm

Hoyo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back from Zimbabwe with just a suitcase

Originally Posted by Midlandboy
My friend was born and worked in England until her mid-twenties and then left to live abroad with her husband. About 20 years ago they moved to Zimbabwe. Conditions have got seriously worse and worse and with the death of her husband a year ago it is all now too much and she is desperate to move back. She has 2 sisters in this country, neither of whom are able to financially support her on her return as she will be returning with just what she can carry and very little savings (about £1000.00)
What support can she ask for from the Government? Should she just arrive in this country with nowhere to go or should she book into a B&B for a few days and then see the various agencies and take it from there?
NZ has a refugee policy for zimbabwe i have heard- might be worth a look.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 2:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hoyo
NZ has a refugee policy for zimbabwe i have heard- might be worth a look.
They generally won't accept as a refugee someone who is a citizen of another country.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Midlandboy
I really hope that some assistance (benefits, help looking for work, accommodation etc) is available. She is British and has strong family links to the country. book herself into a B and B and then get down the nearest social security offive.However, I wouldnt be surprised if the authorities give no help whatsoever.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 4:09 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adiestubbs
I really hope that some assistance (benefits, help looking for work, accommodation etc) is available. She is British and has strong family links to the country. book herself into a B and B and then get down the nearest social security offive.However, I wouldnt be surprised if the authorities give no help whatsoever.
This may be of assistance:
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/bene...les_abroad.asp

It's fair to say that she's unlikely to be able to live a life of luxury on welfare benefits, although something should be available.

For housing, first step should be the website of the council where she intends to live (in the area where family live is recommended) and see what options may he available. The Shelter organisation may be able to give advice: http://www.shelter.org.uk/

Again - it's unlikely to offer a life of luxury but may be better than nothing.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Midlandboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for the replies. Regarding the New Zealand suggestion I'm sure that is too good to be true, but I'll look into it. Thanks Hoyo.
Addiestubbs, thanks for the message of support, I'm sure our country won't let her down.
JAJ, thanks for the link to the benefits for those from abroad. I'm still working my way through it. Would it be worth while her contacting the councils where her sisters live now regarding Housing and other Benefits, before she leaves, or would this give the councils enough time to find excuses not to help or would it be better just to turn up and declare yourself homeless?
At the moment in Zimbabwe there is vast shortages of food and no electricity 3 days a week, so anything is going to be better than that.
I really appreciate the fact that you have all found the time to offer advice. Thanks.