Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

moving back from USA to UK - any regrets?

moving back from USA to UK - any regrets?

Old Jan 16th 2023, 3:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving back from USA to UK - any regrets?

Originally Posted by EliDaBulldog
I want to make it clear, my family have not moved on. They all are very much part of my life. They were all excited about me coming back and they are sad I'm leaving now. It's just that they all have busy lives, with work and kids and many other social aspects. ....
I apologise if I used an expression that was triggering for you or had unintended meanings, but that is precisely what I meant when I said "moved on" .... moved on with their busy lives, work, family and friends.
Old Jan 16th 2023, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

EliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I apologise if I used an expression that was triggering for you or had unintended meanings, but that is precisely what I meant when I said "moved on" .... moved on with their busy lives, work, family and friends.
No apologies needed. I was not offended or triggered. I just wanted to clarify that I have a good relationship with my family.
The weather, commute and cost of living were also very big factors in my decision.
Old Jan 17th 2023, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Just for the record, I'm seriously triggered by this use of the word trigger. Might have to crawl off into my safe space to recover from the trauma.

Old Jan 17th 2023, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

EliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond reputeEliDaBulldog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Just for the record, I'm seriously triggered by this use of the word trigger. Might have to crawl off into my safe space to recover from the trauma.
lol
Old Jan 17th 2023, 12:45 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't move back, moved on. Barely a backward glance.

New adventures, new things to do, new things to see and learn about, new experiences to have.

I was very, very ready to leave the US. I didn't expect living here to be the same as it was when I left - a long time ago - and it isn't. Nor am I. But I came into London for work today with a light step - I'm in the right place for me now, and London gives me a lift every single time.

It's different for everyone.
Old Jan 18th 2023, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LynseyRP
I love this thank you! We are moving "on' to England in just 4 days and I am very sad to leave and nervous that I wont like England any more. We have the freedom to live anywhere so are choosing somewhere new. My guts are in knots and I am trying not to cry all the time. Our reasons for moving are solid and we have said worst case scenario this is a really expensive holiday and best case we love it! fingers crossed for the latter!!
You are not on your own a lot of people feel the same way as you do at the moment when making a move heck with all the “moves” I have done in my lifetime you’d think I would be a pro (I wish) but I go to bits when I see a packing box lol just try to stay positive and look at the good things your new life will bring, you are as free to travel and explore both here in the UK and overseas than anywhere, we treated our move back as a new adventure, like you we moved to a different area and explored the UK whenever we could and that’s been wonderful and of course we head to Europe as well. Good luck I am sure you will be fine….this time next year it will all be a very distant memory.
Old Jan 18th 2023, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
You are not on your own a lot of people feel the same way as you do at the moment when making a move heck with all the “moves” I have done in my lifetime you’d think I would be a pro (I wish) but I go to bits when I see a packing box lol just try to stay positive and look at the good things your new life will bring, you are as free to travel and explore both here in the UK and overseas than anywhere, we treated our move back as a new adventure, like you we moved to a different area and explored the UK whenever we could and that’s been wonderful and of course we head to Europe as well. Good luck I am sure you will be fine….this time next year it will all be a very distant memory.
Great response and I feel the same way. We felt the same way when we moved to Scotland, and then later back to England and onto Texas 18 months later, then Louisiana, then Texas and 6 years ago back to England. You would think the moves would get easier but they don't, they are always emotionally and physically draining.

Our daughter, early 40's, has moved from California to England, same town as us and living with us until she gets settled. She has been super stressed out and only this week have things really started to ease off. On Monday evening she picked up her new car, On Tuesday morning she took her driving theory test and today she has picked up the keys to her house and is now going through the process of getting the utilities switched etc. It is all very stressful no matter how many moves you have made. (She has made several inter-State moves while working in the USA but this is her first country move)
Old Jan 20th 2023, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Great response and I feel the same way. We felt the same way when we moved to Scotland, and then later back to England and onto Texas 18 months later, then Louisiana, then Texas and 6 years ago back to England. You would think the moves would get easier but they don't, they are always emotionally and physically draining.

Our daughter, early 40's, has moved from California to England, same town as us and living with us until she gets settled. She has been super stressed out and only this week have things really started to ease off. On Monday evening she picked up her new car, On Tuesday morning she took her driving theory test and today she has picked up the keys to her house and is now going through the process of getting the utilities switched etc. It is all very stressful no matter how many moves you have made. (She has made several inter-State moves while working in the USA but this is her first country move)
I hope all works out for your daughter…worrying about your children (no matter how old) adds extra stress all round and makes any move that bit more stressful but the hard part is done the last part of the move this is what I call the “ity bity” time ( when sorting out utilities, cars etc) but by now that light at the end of the tunnel is now quite bright. Take care and good luck to you and your family.
Old Jan 20th 2023, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
I hope all works out for your daughter…worrying about your children (no matter how old) adds extra stress all round and makes any move that bit more stressful but the hard part is done the last part of the move this is what I call the “ity bity” time ( when sorting out utilities, cars etc) but by now that light at the end of the tunnel is now quite bright. Take care and good luck to you and your family.
Thanks so much. Yes, it should be downhill from now on, lots of things to do but the hard stuff is behind us.
Old Jan 20th 2023, 1:31 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, I've been trying to resist posting this, but I'm caving.....

Old May 11th 2023, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

ArizonaTrail is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Americish
hi! Just came back to this thread after many months because we’re still thinking of moving back! Lol! We spent one month there this past summer but realized how spoiled and lazy we’ve become because we were put off by the daily hustle of life, traffic, busyness, etc….so we’re still in Phoenix. Have you come back from the Uk? I’d be interested to hear your thoughts!
Just seeing this now! I will PM you!
Old May 11th 2023, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

randyglover is an unknown quantity at this point

Caving as in having regrets? Are you willing to share your thoughts?
Old May 11th 2023, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

LynseyRP is an unknown quantity at this point

We spent 3 months in the UK and decided to come back to Canada. We didn't have enough money to buy the sort of life we would like there. We did know that we would be putting ourselves back a bit but the reality of it was a big slap in the face. After being there a while and realizing we wanted to be closer by our family than we originally thought we then couldn't afford anything. Rentals with two kids and a dog where incredibly sparse and very expensive and finding one within a good school catchment even harder. If you have plenty of funds then you will be absolutely fine but we would have found ourselves living a very different life. We have moved back to Vancouver Island and live one street back from a beautiful beach. No crowds, no traffic and great schools. We just have to work hard and save to visit more often. My heart is settled and although it was a wild ride I know I truly belong here.
Old May 16th 2023, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by randyglover
Hi there

We moved out to California 9 yeras ago (family of 4) but for various reasons we are thinking of moving back to the UK in the next couple of years. Kids getting to decent school age and insane cost of Cali living are the two major factors in our thoughts to move back. We are UK citizens on our final year of a green card.

I wanted to know if anyone has done the move back??

Was the move hard, did you fit back in, any regrets, things seem different etc etc

My head still all over the place so any thoughts appreciated.
Hi, I think most people who have moved countries feel like you do at some stage in life, personally we did not, we had made a very good life in Australia made friends from around the globe and generally “on paper” our move was a success but we never felt “at home” if you know what I mean, so after 7 years we had our first visit back to England (4 weeks in December/January)and we really enjoyed being back it was a lovely visit we did not visit again until a further 3 years later this time for 6.5 weeks in April/May) and once again we had a really nice time but we knew we were on holiday mode which does make a huge difference. Eventually we all decided we wanted to return so we did in 2010 and we have had/have had a lovely time, we belong here daft things like what’s happening to the Uk matters (we did not really bother about things like that in Aus) we love to support England in any sport etc because we care (we do still look out for Australia…and we are very “fond” of Australia but we are happy to be home. I don’t have that feeling of “I should be feeling Australian by now” or “All this is giving us a fab life so why does it not feel like home” We arrived back to a new area, made new friends and visit family now and again (we are close but we have never lived in each others pockets” and we explore parts of the UK we never visited before. Good luck
Old May 19th 2023, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Oxfordite has a reputation beyond reputeOxfordite has a reputation beyond reputeOxfordite has a reputation beyond reputeOxfordite has a reputation beyond reputeOxfordite has a reputation beyond reputeOxfordite has a reputation beyond reputeOxfordite has a reputation beyond reputeOxfordite has a reputation beyond reputeOxfordite has a reputation beyond reputeOxfordite has a reputation beyond reputeOxfordite has a reputation beyond repute

Moral of the story is: if thinking of moving to another country do a test-run first. I’ve lived in US 30 years and now in Taiwan 3 years. My dream for the last 20 years has been to move back home (not to friends and family, just to my country.) I made short trips every couple of years and watched the country deteriorate in many ways. My last trip in April was shocking and put an end to my aspiration to return. The UK seems to be circling the toilet, economically, socially, and culturally. It’s now far more crowded and congested, way too expensive, the NHS is a disgrace, the government is tyrannical and sickeningly woke, and the people seemed mostly to be small minded, lazy, and as cultured as a sack of potatoes. No offense, I’m sure this doesn’t apply to anyone here. But people seemed to be rude and as miserable as sin, which I was told was because of the “cost of living crisis.”

Obviously a lot will depend on where and when you go there and how much money you have. I returned in the rainy season to Oxford, which is probably ground zero for the decline. If I was wealthy, I might still buy one of those "Escape to the Country" houses on the Devonshire coast, but as things stand, the UK is no longer an option. Thanks for letting me rant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.