Moving back to UK via QM2

Old Mar 30th 2012, 4:05 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving back to UK via QM2

Hi

I originally posted this on the US forum, but it was suggested I reposted it here as more people may have used QM2 from US to UK, rather than UK to US.....

I was wondering if anyone has actual experience of moving via QM2. I have searched existing posts for answers, but lots of the posts talk about either thinking about doing it, or going to do it in the future, I couldn't find any obvious posts of actual experience of travelling on QM2.

The reason I am asking is I saw someone mention unlimited luggage but I am confused about what that actually means and the practicalities of taking lots of suitcases on a cruise. Are your suitcases put in a hold or do they have to go in the cabin? And if they have to go in the cabin with me, how big is the smallest cabin. I have visions of booking the cheapest cruise I can and then breaking my ankle (or worst) tripping over a cabin full of cases!!!

Any info is - as always - really appreciated

Cheers

Becky
Old Mar 30th 2012, 4:37 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK via QM2

Originally Posted by becks_r
Hi

I originally posted this on the US forum, but it was suggested I reposted it here as more people may have used QM2 from US to UK, rather than UK to US.....

I was wondering if anyone has actual experience of moving via QM2. I have searched existing posts for answers, but lots of the posts talk about either thinking about doing it, or going to do it in the future, I couldn't find any obvious posts of actual experience of travelling on QM2.

The reason I am asking is I saw someone mention unlimited luggage but I am confused about what that actually means and the practicalities of taking lots of suitcases on a cruise. Are your suitcases put in a hold or do they have to go in the cabin? And if they have to go in the cabin with me, how big is the smallest cabin. I have visions of booking the cheapest cruise I can and then breaking my ankle (or worst) tripping over a cabin full of cases!!!

Any info is - as always - really appreciated

Cheers

Becky
Calle moved back this way in about 2006. You could try doing an Advanced Search for posts from her in 2006 (on the MBTTUK forum and then on the USA forum) - or maybe PM her (I don't think she posts much these days). I vaguely recall someone else recently commenting on the baggage thing and I'm pretty sure the luggage has to go in your cabin (otherwise, people would be shipping a houseful via QM2).
Old Mar 30th 2012, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

We came back to the UK on the QM2 in 2009, there were a couple of reasons for this, the baggage aspect was one of them. We had the cheapest inside cabin available, 2 adults and 2 kids, with most of our possessions. I think we had 3 large suitcases and several large holdall (hockey bag size) and all of it had to go in the cabin with us, fortunately it all fitted in. - there is quite a bit of storage under the beds so it wasnt too much of a squash.

Well recommended....
Old Mar 30th 2012, 9:33 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the replies so far, it seems it might just work for the me to get my luggage to USA - I still need to way up the cost of one trip on QM2 against a few trips I will need to take to get all my stuff over

Cheers

Becky
Old Mar 30th 2012, 9:36 pm
Back in US & happy!

snowshoveller - just thought of another question - was it easy to get reasonably priced meals onboard? I looked at the menus, wine and bar lists on the Cunard website, got very scared by the wine prices and couldn't find prices for the meals.

Thanks

Becky
Old Mar 30th 2012, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Well, there are included buffets and soft drinks always available, you could go bonkers on the bar bill and spend a lot. proper sit down meals are included, iirc there are some pay extra restaurants but you dont really need to bother, the standard meals are excellent

in terms of cost, in 2009 it cost us the same to one way on the QM2 as single flights from Winnipeg, so we picked up cheap flights to NYC - spent a few days there, and killed 2 birds with one stone. I have no idea how the costs stack up these days.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 9:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
Well, there are included buffets and soft drinks always available, you could go bonkers on the bar bill and spend a lot. proper sit down meals are included, iirc there are some pay extra restaurants but you dont really need to bother, the standard meals are excellent

in terms of cost, in 2009 it cost us the same to one way on the QM2 as single flights from Winnipeg, so we picked up cheap flights to NYC - spent a few days there, and killed 2 birds with one stone. I have no idea how the costs stack up these days.
One extra cost is tips...they are probably listed on Cunard's website.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Nah! , the QM2 has fancy stabilisers, it barely tips at all, it certainly doesnt list
Old Mar 30th 2012, 9:48 pm
Back in US & happy!

oh Snowshoveller, that's really helpful information - I wasn't sure about meals being included, but I think if standrad meals are included then the costs of using QM2 over multiple flights are making a lot more sense

Thanks so much

Becky
Old Mar 30th 2012, 9:50 pm
Back in US & happy!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I did notice on the Cunard website that they add a tips charge daily, so I have already got that added to my daily costs for the trip
Old Mar 30th 2012, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

oh Snowshoveller, that's really helpful information - I wasn't sure about meals being included, but I think if standrad meals are included then the costs of using QM2 over multiple flights are making a lot more sense

Thanks so much

Becky
no worries, also you could send your stuff as excess baggage if you have more than you can carry
Old Mar 30th 2012, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

I did notice on the Cunard website that they add a tips charge daily, so I have already got that added to my daily costs for the trip
if you hunt around the travel operators, you might find that you can get some credit for tips thrown in.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 10:05 pm
Back in US & happy!

if you hunt around the travel operators, you might find that you can get some credit for tips thrown in.
oh that is interesting - I certainly will look into that

Thanks

Becky