Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK from USA - iPhone question

Moving back to UK from USA - iPhone question

Old Apr 26th 2013, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from USA - iPhone question

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think the new law came in late last year...or early this year.
According to this, it became illegal to unlock your phone "without the permission of the carrier that locked it in the first place". So having your carrier unlock appears still to be legal:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...egal-saturday/

So... give your custom to carriers that either will sell you an unlocked 'phone or who will unlock it for you (at least for a non-US SIM).

Last edited by Giantaxe; Apr 26th 2013 at 9:27 pm.
Old May 6th 2013, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Thought it was illegal now to unlock a US cell phone.
It is not illegal to unlock a US cell phone it is illegal to pay to have one unlocked. Your carrier is the only one who can unlock your US iphone legally.
This is why when I got my 5 I kept my unlocked 4S.
Old May 6th 2013, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maltoo
It is not illegal to unlock a US cell phone it is illegal to pay to have one unlocked. Your carrier is the only one who can unlock your US iphone legally.
This is why when I got my 5 I kept my unlocked 4S.
Did you keep iPhone 4S just for foreign travel?
Old May 7th 2013, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Did you keep iPhone 4S just for foreign travel?
yes, why?
Old May 8th 2013, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

yes, why?
Because I wondered why the need for two phones. Did that question irritate you?? Wasn't delving into your private life. I am trying to get advice on how to manage changing to the UK system. Never mind..
Old May 8th 2013, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Because I wondered why the need for two phones. Did that question irritate you?? Wasn't delving into your private life. I am trying to get advice on how to manage changing to the UK system. Never mind..
sorry? Did my post sound irritated? LOL, just curious as to why you asked?

My 4s is not active here in the US but when we travel I take it and buy a sim, my iPhone5 is not unlocked as it is still under contract
Old May 8th 2013, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

sorry? Did my post sound irritated? LOL, just curious as to why you asked?

My 4s is not active here in the US but when we travel I take it and buy a sim, my iPhone5 is not unlocked as it is still under contract
Well yes.....I felt I was imposing on personal business. That's just about me....
I still have an iPhone 4, iPhone 4S and always want to upgrade;-)
I have read that the iPhone 5 will only accommodate 3G in the UK. I really don't understand the rest. My daughter is getting married in Manhattan 18th May. Wanted the best iPhone camera possible. I think I read the iPhone 4S is as good as the iPhone 5.
Old May 8th 2013, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Well yes.....I felt I was imposing on personal business. That's just about me....
I still have an iPhone 4, iPhone 4S and always want to upgrade;-)
I have read that the iPhone 5 will only accommodate 3G in the UK. I really don't understand the rest. My daughter is getting married in Manhattan 18th May. Wanted the best iPhone camera possible. I think I read the iPhone 4S is as good as the iPhone 5.
I will take some pics tomorrow and post so you can compare them.
Old May 9th 2013, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

4S

Old May 9th 2013, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you so much. There is a certain crispness with the 5 photo. Maybe not enough to merit another purchase until I'm closer to moving. I really appreciate your doing this.
Old May 9th 2013, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

I took those at night so the quality is not all that great. If you want an awesome camera the Panasonic LX7 is incredible and amazon has it $100 off right now $298. It takes the most incredible photos in the dark.

If not the 5 really does take nice pics.

You're welcome, congratulations on your Daughter's marriage.
Old May 9th 2013, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much. There is a certain crispness with the 5 photo. Maybe not enough to merit another purchase until I'm closer to moving. I really appreciate your doing this.
My biggest gripe with the 4S camera is the "bleeding" of light into darker areas, such as what you see in the top right hand corner of the second picture. It looks like the 5 has improved a lot on this.
Old May 9th 2013, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

WOW!!! The difference is huge! I was leaning towards getting 4S when I upgrade but now I will get a 5.

If you are involved in graphics at all, the 5 takes far superior photos - less loss of saturation, higher contrast, and better colors!!

AND more differentiation between shades of the same tone.
Old May 10th 2013, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
WOW!!! The difference is huge! I was leaning towards getting 4S when I upgrade but now I will get a 5.

If you are involved in graphics at all, the 5 takes far superior photos - less loss of saturation, higher contrast, and better colors!!

AND more differentiation between shades of the same tone.
Might be smarter to wait for the latest upgrade and unlocked hopefully in September. I have 4 and 4s....Let the official photographer take the pics (I'll most likely be weeping in any case (this is a good thing as MOB)xx
I hope to be gone by then.......just got iPad mini and have iPad 3. Gotta saved some for what happens next. (Car???)
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 2:18 am
Just Joined

sigmapaul is an unknown quantity at this point

I am moving back to the U.K in around six weeks after a 33 year absence. I'm going to be looking for a job once I get back unless I can get one through U.K. based job sites and recruiters before I leave. Anyway, I plan to use a smart phone as my main contact point for e-mail and voice with potential employers. I'm a little concerned about my ability to get a mobile contract given my lack of credit in the U.K. I will have a U.K based bank account, debit and credit card set up by the time I arrive, not sure if this will make a difference with the mobile companies. I'm with Verizon (contract now expired) and have an iPhone 4. After reading this thread, I checked it out and can't find a slot anywhere to insert a SIM card. Am I missing something here? If my iPhone won't work over there, any suggestions. I had planned on getting a Samsung Note II instead of an iPhone because of the bigger screen. Should I get a pay as you go, do these plans include data? Thanks very much in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.