Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK from USA and Heathcare

Moving back to UK from USA and Heathcare

Old Oct 28th 2018, 2:51 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from USA and Heathcare

Use your US passport in the US for check in and departure and your British passport on arrival at the UK border. You can use your British passport with the ePassport gates to avoid queuing.
Old Oct 28th 2018, 5:05 pm
fstanfield

fiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Brit in Paris for the info.
Old Oct 29th 2018, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Use your US passport in the US for check in and departure and your British passport on arrival at the UK border. You can use your British passport with the ePassport gates to avoid queuing.
This was always how it used to be for me for ages.
But on the last couple flights, check-in only wanted the passport that corresponded to the country I was heading for.
So, American for flight from London to Atlanta, and British for flight from Atlanta to London.
It can't hurt to offer them both and let them sort it.
Old Oct 29th 2018, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
This was always how it used to be for me for ages.
But on the last couple flights, check-in only wanted the passport that corresponded to the country I was heading for.
So, American for flight from London to Atlanta, and British for flight from Atlanta to London.
It can't hurt to offer them both and let them sort it.
I always have both if needed and letting the airline choose which one they want will always work. If it is a one way ticket to the UK then if you simply present your US passport they should be asking when and how you are returning because they are legally required to check you have the correct documentation for entering the country. They are also supposed to check that if you are a USC that you are leaving on your US passport.

when we moved back to England in 2016 on a repositioning cruise out of Houston I presented both passports to the cruise line at check in but she had only space on her check-in screen to enter the details for one passport so took our UK passport information. I had looked myself online and already had entered the details so she had nothing to do except check that the information I had entered matched the passport she had in her hand. She was not interested in seeing our US passports.
Old Oct 29th 2018, 7:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No matter what PP an airline or cruise line wish to use...USCs have a legal obligation to leave and enter the US using an US PP. It is your choice what PP you use to enter or leave a different country...but your US PP must be used to enter/leave the US.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
No matter what PP an airline or cruise line wish to use...USCs have a legal obligation to leave and enter the US using an US PP. It is your choice what PP you use to enter or leave a different country...but your US PP must be used to enter/leave the US.
As I said before, this is how I understood it until recently. I always say I am a dual citizen at checkout and offer both passports, But it seems to irritate Virgin Atlantic when I do.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by durham_lad

I always have both if needed and letting the airline choose which one they want will always work. If it is a one way ticket to the UK then if you simply present your US passport they should be asking when and how you are returning because they are legally required to check you have the correct documentation for entering the country. They are also supposed to check that if you are a USC that you are leaving on your US passport.

when we moved back to England in 2016 on a repositioning cruise out of Houston I presented both passports to the cruise line at check in but she had only space on her check-in screen to enter the details for one passport so took our UK passport information. I had looked myself online and already had entered the details so she had nothing to do except check that the information I had entered matched the passport she had in her hand. She was not interested in seeing our US passports.
Virgin Atlantic also out of Atlanta
Old Oct 30th 2018, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Just to add a note, it’s also illegal for a dual US/Polish citizen to enter Poland on their US passport. Their Polish passport must be used, not US passport. So this requirement also exists in some other countries.

Last edited by Richard8655; Oct 30th 2018 at 1:20 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655

Just to add a note, it’s also illegal for a dual US/Polish citizen to enter Poland on their US passport. Their Polish passport must be used, not US passport. So this requirement also exists in some other countries.
It is like this in Australia, plus Australia has proper exit controls. When leaving Australia the airline first checks that the passport you present is valid for the country you are traveling to, then border control checks your passport to see that you have been in the country legally. For tourists it is usually the same passport but for people like my SIL who is a dual citizen, then on leaving Australia he has to present his US passport to the airline and Australian passport to border control.

Britain used to have proper exit controls, I used to often travel out of Newcastle airport in the 90's and all travelers went through border control on their way to the gates prior to boarding. For a year or 2 they even took your photograph when they checked your passport as you left.
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

kevinhpainter is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear all,

rather than start a new threat I also have a question about moving back to the UK and NHS cover.I am currently preparing to return to the UK in 2020 together with my wife. We plan to retire to the UK (although not yet as state pensioners). My wife and I do not plan to work, at least not initially, but to live from my occupational pension. My wife is Polish, and for the sake of this post, let’s assume there will be a Brexit agreement and a transition period until the end of 2020 when my wife can still move to the UK. If there isn’t a deal and transition period that’ll be a different story. We understand that but that’s not the subject of this post. So let’s assume for the purposes of this post that my wife can still move to the UK in 2020. Now here’s the point of my post: I am British, have a National Insurance number, am fully paid up with NI contributions etc and my wife and I already jointly own our own home in the UK which is currently rented. Once we arrive in the UK, have moved in to our home, started paying council tax etc, I personally don’t anticipate having any problems myself registering with a local GP. But what about my wife? She has never lived or worked in the UK. She doesn’t have a National Insurance number or an NHS number. Will she simply be able to register with a GP like I will?Thanks for reading Kevin
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 1:53 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinhpainter
Dear all,

rather than start a new threat I also have a question about moving back to the UK and NHS cover.I am currently preparing to return to the UK in 2020 together with my wife. We plan to retire to the UK (although not yet as state pensioners). My wife and I do not plan to work, at least not initially, but to live from my occupational pension. My wife is Polish, and for the sake of this post, let’s assume there will be a Brexit agreement and a transition period until the end of 2020 when my wife can still move to the UK. If there isn’t a deal and transition period that’ll be a different story. We understand that but that’s not the subject of this post. So let’s assume for the purposes of this post that my wife can still move to the UK in 2020. Now here’s the point of my post: I am British, have a National Insurance number, am fully paid up with NI contributions etc and my wife and I already jointly own our own home in the UK which is currently rented. Once we arrive in the UK, have moved in to our home, started paying council tax etc, I personally don’t anticipate having any problems myself registering with a local GP. But what about my wife? She has never lived or worked in the UK. She doesn’t have a National Insurance number or an NHS number. Will she simply be able to register with a GP like I will?Thanks for reading Kevin
She’ll have no problem registering with her local GP. She’ll be allocated a NHS number if she doesn’t have one. If she will not be working until then she’ll not need a NINO. As a self-sufficient person then under the current rules she would need comprehensive sickness insurance in order to be eligible for permanent residence after five years. How this will translate into the new pre-settled/settled status is unclear at the moment but should be clearer by the time you wish to move.

https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

kevinhpainter is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks BritInParis, I appreciate the answer.
While my question was about obtaining the NHS number, you mentioned something else. The comprehensive sickness insurance or “CSI” required by self-sufficient persons. When I looked into that a while ago CSI hadn’t been defined by the Home Office. I’m currently assuming my wife can fulfil the CSI requirement if she takes out the usual cover offered by BUPA, Aviva, Vitality etc., but curious if you or anyone has any recent information about exactly what type of policy the Home Office currently considers to fulfil the CSI requirement.Thanks again, Kevin
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by kevinhpainter
Thanks BritInParis, I appreciate the answer.
While my question was about obtaining the NHS number, you mentioned something else. The comprehensive sickness insurance or “CSI” required by self-sufficient persons. When I looked into that a while ago CSI hadn’t been defined by the Home Office. I’m currently assuming my wife can fulfil the CSI requirement if she takes out the usual cover offered by BUPA, Aviva, Vitality etc., but curious if you or anyone has any recent information about exactly what type of policy the Home Office currently considers to fulfil the CSI requirement.Thanks again, Kevin
I don’t, sorry. It’s worth remembering however that post-March 2019 it is unlikely to apply. It’s just something to be aware of if your wife will be self-sufficient.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 7:01 pm
fstanfield

fiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond repute

I am a dual citizen UK/USA and I moved back to the UK in December 2018. I am going to the US for 3 weeks in May and I am about to book my ticket. I am a bit puzzled about which passport I use to book my ticket and also which passport I use to check in at Manchester airport. I know thatI have to use my US passport once I get to the US. I would like the same info about returning to the UK. Which passport do I use to check in at the US to return back to the UK, I know I use my UK passport once I get to the UK.
Thank you!
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fstanfield
I am a dual citizen UK/USA and I moved back to the UK in December 2018. I am going to the US for 3 weeks in May and I am about to book my ticket. I am a bit puzzled about which passport I use to book my ticket and also which passport I use to check in at Manchester airport. I know thatI have to use my US passport once I get to the US. I would like the same info about returning to the UK. Which passport do I use to check in at the US to return back to the UK, I know I use my UK passport once I get to the UK.
Thank you!
You should show your US passport at checkin and at US immigration. You will have your British passport with you in the unlikely event that the airline will want proof that you have been living legally in the UK but the airline is more concerned with ensuring that the passport you are traveling on is the correct one for your destination.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.