Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK from USA and Heathcare

Moving back to UK from USA and Heathcare

Old Oct 9th 2018, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from USA and Heathcare

Originally Posted by fiona stanfield
I just got back from the UK on the 30th September after spending 9 weeks over there with my partner. I also had to use the GP 3 times while I was there so I am on record at that office. I am on my way back on a one way ticket at the beginning of December. I have already sent for my British passport so I am hoping that I do not have any problems with that. As soon as I arrive I will set up a bank account and I will also leave the one that I have over here open. I will also sign up with the local GP. I will take some of my medical records and my Rheumatology records and enough of my meds to last 3 to 6 months. I did accomplish one thing while I was over there. I managed to get my Nino number which I am happy about. I never drove before I left the UK back in 1978 so I guess I will have to learn how to maneuver the British roads. Last time I was on here I was told that I could drive on my US license for up to a year, should I also renew my international drivers license just to be on the safe side. I do have two questions. Will the doctors office renew my American medications or will I have to start from scratch with them? also How do you go about shipping a few odds and ends over to the UK and is it very expensive?
Thank you for listening and I look forward to any help I can get as this is a big move for me.
Congratulations on getting your NINO.

You will be able to drive for up to a year on your US licence. I don’t know about the international driving licence.

I only had 1 prescription that I brought over from the USA and the GP said that it was exactly what was used in the UK to treat my condition so wrote a repeat prescription immediately. If you go to the NICE site you may be able to look up either your drugs or your conditions and see if they are recommended for use by the NHS.

https://www.nice.org.uk/
Old Oct 9th 2018, 6:49 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

No point in updating your international driving licence unless you intend to drive on the continent. It’s just a translation of your existing licence which is already in English. Depending on how much you intend to ship you may find it cheaper to take it as excess luggage. Alternatively use a shipping service like Seven Seas: https://www.sevenseasworldwide.com
Old Oct 9th 2018, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

To register with a GP you will need a passport or other proof of identity and some document showing your address.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I never drove before I left the UK back in 1978 so I guess I will have to learn how to maneuver the British roads. Last time I was on here I was told that I could drive on my US license for up to a year, should I also renew my international drivers license just to be on the safe side.
As already pointed out an "International Drivers License" is merely a translation of an existing license. If you don't already have a UK license you'll have a year to pass the UK test before you'll be subject to UK provisional license restrictions. Given how many Americans find the UK test difficult to pass, I would make it a priority to deal with this.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 9:17 pm
fstanfield

fiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all so much for all the answers to my questions. it definitely makes it easier for me to deal with.
Old Oct 21st 2018, 3:18 pm
fstanfield

fiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond repute

I have a quick question. Does anyone remember when you first got back to the UK and signed up with the GP, did you have to fill out a GMS1 form? If you did was there a part about patient declaration for patients who are not ordinarily residents in the UK. Did you fill it out? Or because you are going to be there permanently I thought you would be classed as a resident. I am just wondering as I am leaving for the UK next month and I need all the insight I can get on the medical aspect of it. Thank you so much.
Old Oct 21st 2018, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I have a quick question. Does anyone remember when you first got back to the UK and signed up with the GP, did you have to fill out a GMS1 form? If you did was there a part about patient declaration for patients who are not ordinarily residents in the UK. Did you fill it out? Or because you are going to be there permanently I thought you would be classed as a resident. I am just wondering as I am leaving for the UK next month and I need all the insight I can get on the medical aspect of it. Thank you so much.
My wife and I did fill out GMS1.

https://www.nhs.uk/Servicedirectorie...ments/GMS1.pdf

we each filled it out classed as residents because from the day we landed our intent was to remain as residents. We did enter our last UK address from 29 years earlier but couldn’t remember the name and address of our doctor at that time, so just put “can’t recall”.
Old Oct 22nd 2018, 3:36 am
Just Joined

Squibs51 is an unknown quantity at this point

I’m thinking about moving back home after living in the US for 30 years. It is mainly for medical reasons. Am I able to get prescriptions filled immediately when I get back once I have established a GP or do I have to wait for a period of time. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you
Old Oct 22nd 2018, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Squibs51
I’m thinking about moving back home after living in the US for 30 years. It is mainly for medical reasons. Am I able to get prescriptions filled immediately when I get back once I have established a GP or do I have to wait for a period of time. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you
No waiting period for me returning after 29 years away, but it is always worth bring extra with you if you can.
I got my one prescription filled immediately. The Doc said it was exactly what the NHS prescribed for the condition I have and didn’t need to send me for tests or exam me to see if I still had the condition.
Old Oct 22nd 2018, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Squibs51 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi durham_lad, thank you for responding.
Did you move back recently? Like in 2018? Was wondering if rules have changed.
I do have driving license ( old but still valid) NIC , brutish passportetc
is there anything I should be aware of ?
Thx
Old Oct 22nd 2018, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Squibs51
hi durham_lad, thank you for responding.
Did you move back recently? Like in 2018? Was wondering if rules have changed.
I do have driving license ( old but still valid) NIC , brutish passportetc
is there anything I should be aware of ?
Thx
My wife and I moved back in 2016 and our son moved back in 2017. I’m pretty sure the rules haven’t changed since last year.

You will be able to exchange your old driving licence for a new one easily enough. Ours were 29 years old and we got new ones easily and quickly. I suggest you register to vote as soon as you are back, get onto the voter registration role.

opening a bank account might be tricky. We had kept our old account open so no problem for us.
Old Oct 22nd 2018, 6:45 pm
fstanfield

Thank you for that answer on the GMS1 card, I will leave the Supplementary questions at the end of the form blank.
I have another question I just got my new British passport today (it feels great) and I wondered. Do I use that to go into England and then when I come back in May to attend my grandsons high school graduation use my American one to enter the USA?
Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 22nd 2018, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you for that answer on the GMS1 card, I will leave the Supplementary questions at the end of the form blank.
I have another question I just got my new British passport today (it feels great) and I wondered. Do I use that to go into England and then when I come back in May to attend my grandsons high school graduation use my American one to enter the USA?
Thanks in advance.
you have it right. Use your British Passport when entering the UK and your US passport when entering the USA.
Old Oct 22nd 2018, 7:31 pm
fstanfield

Thank you so much.
Old Oct 28th 2018, 2:45 pm
fstanfield

Well I am back again with another big question.
When I leave for the UK next month and I use my British passport for the first time, I was reading on Lindkin that when you get to the airport I need to show my US passport to Immigration first then check in to the airline with my British passport. This I don't understand because you only go through Immigration when you get to where you are going. Then when you come back to the US for any reason you just reverse the process. If anyone has used two passports going and coming from US to UK can you please give me a step by step on what you did or what to do. Its really doing my head in as I don't want anything to go wrong.
Thank you,
Fiona Stanfield

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.