Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK on TV now!

Moving back to UK on TV now!

Old Jul 1st 2007, 1:47 pm
  #16  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 31
Impey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to UK on TV now!

Originally Posted by karina
I saw this and totally disagreed with their decision. The UK has nothing to offer me or my children and as much as I hate living with my OH and hate having to put the kids through the DV that goes on - I will NOT move back. But that is just my opinion.
Karina,

What about peace of mind for you and your children? I was in an abusive relationship many years ago, got the courage to get out of it and never looked back. You can keep on pretending that you don't mind or care, that you can deal with it. But fast forward a few years, is that the life you really want as you get older for you all.
Impey is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2007, 1:06 am
  #17  
Forum Regular
 
lil_ol_wine_drinker_me's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 206
lil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nice
Default Re: Moving back to UK on TV now!

Originally Posted by clougherty family
Hi all,

Just thought I'd let you know that they have just started a new series about people who move abroad and then want to come back! This week it was about a family who have lived in Cyprus for 4 yrs . It was interesting because the presenter was saying the same things as we all say about the opportunities in the UK more than most other countries etc etc. The husband was really homesick but the wife wanted to stay in Cyprus but when the programme brought them back here for a couple of weeks they ended up deciding to move back here. Obviously it's all edited so you never know how much is true, but I found it quite amusing that after all those programmes about a new life in Oz etc. they have now realised that lots of people have left the UK and are now trying to warn us in advance that it's not all they cracked it up to be and they are bigging the UK up!! Can't wait to see if Perth features!! Surely they must have found someone to feature in the series who is dying to come home from there??

Jo
They probably will give Perth a miss as the crowd will be bigger than the one for GMTV at Cottesloe at xmas! Would need too much security to deal with the queues, though depending on how long folk have lived here they maybe do the local thing and not queue!
lil_ol_wine_drinker_me is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2007, 3:59 am
  #18  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,913
Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Moving back to UK on TV now!

Originally Posted by lil_ol_wine_drinker_me
They probably will give Perth a miss as the crowd will be bigger than the one for GMTV at Cottesloe at xmas! Would need too much security to deal with the queues, though depending on how long folk have lived here they maybe do the local thing and not queue!
Can't see what all the fuss is about at Xmas on Cottesloe beach. Why waste your Xmas morning getting pushed and shoved about on a beach. If they miss home they should head back for a holiday.
Nu-Shooz is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2007, 9:28 am
  #19  
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,560
kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to UK on TV now!

i wouldn't go down to cottesloe beach either it suppose to be a total nightmare!!! If im here and my family want too see me on screen i have a web cam!!

I will be in the uk this year watching gmtv ooh cant wait!!!

kezx
kez81 is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2007, 9:39 am
  #20  
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,560
kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to UK on TV now!

Originally Posted by Elvira
You cannot expose your children to this kind of environment!

You are entitled to half the money and assets. Go and see a divorce attorney - he/she will explain your options. You are *not* helpless.
I dont want to be harsh but some people get use to being the victim i have a friend who lives with a very abusive man same kinda off situation as the OP she has left him twice in the past with help from her family even though she has pretty much shunned them since she met him but they always pull through for her in the end, she is still with him and before i left the uk would often seeing her with bruises were he had hit her i just dont understand why she puts up with it!!! she has a young child also i fear for the childs safety will he belt her if she backchats him when she's a teen?? her mother has got beat up for alot less!!

kezx
kez81 is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:57 pm
  #21  
Ping-ponger
 
dunroving's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Dreich Alba
Posts: 11,995
dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK on TV now!

Tonight's episdoe was a classic "expats curse" story. The couple emigrated to NZ 16 years ago and now have 3 grown kids who would stay there and 2 younger ones who would return (if they came back). The wife was absolutely torn (she was the one mainly wanting to come back), because her heart was in W Yorkshire but she couldn't stand the thought of leaving behind her sons (and grandchildren). Heart-wrenching!
dunroving is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:19 am
  #22  
Gutter Gob!!
 
northernbird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Perth
Posts: 13,098
northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK on TV now!

Originally Posted by kez81
i wouldn't go down to cottesloe beach either it suppose to be a total nightmare!!! If im here and my family want too see me on screen i have a web cam!!

I will be in the uk this year watching gmtv ooh cant wait!!!

kezx
It is a nightmare. I took my girls the first Christmas we were here and the rudeness of some of the people was beyond me. My youngest who was 3 at the time got knocked over and trampled by some stupid cow trying to get her and her teenage kids to the front of the crowd. I had to be restrained from knocking her block off.
northernbird is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:26 am
  #23  
Forum Regular
 
lil_ol_wine_drinker_me's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 206
lil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nice
Default Re: Moving back to UK on TV now!

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Can't see what all the fuss is about at Xmas on Cottesloe beach. Why waste your Xmas morning getting pushed and shoved about on a beach. If they miss home they should head back for a holiday.
I agree, I think it is disgusting the way some people wave their new born babies about like rag dolls just to get their faces on the telly!
lil_ol_wine_drinker_me is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2007, 1:36 am
  #24  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Spain then Massachusetts USA
Posts: 211
Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK on TV now!

Originally Posted by dunroving
Tonight's episdoe was a classic "expats curse" story.
That download isn't up yet. Looking forward to seeing it.
Shivster is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:24 am
  #25  
Ping-ponger
 
dunroving's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Dreich Alba
Posts: 11,995
dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK on TV now!

Originally Posted by Shivster
That download isn't up yet. Looking forward to seeing it.
Make sure you have your Kleenex handy.

It reminded me that for many expats (especially those who have been away a long time) there's just no good decision - you'll have regrets no matter where you decide to end up.

I was surprised to see the host even shed a tear at the airport, I think she really felt for the woman.
dunroving is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:58 am
  #26  
ex-squaddie
 
derbyflan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Aylesbury, UK
Posts: 4,605
derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK on TV now!

I didn't feel for her one bit. I really thought she was absolutely selfish.

There she is, the mother of 5 healthy children, living in NZ with a husband who obviously adores her. Her 3 eldest who went out with her originally 16 years ago and seem to be doing well for themselves. One is a Pilot who is likely to be moving across to Aus. The eldest has his own family now.

She, on the other hand, has been pineing for the Yorkshire Dales on and off ever since she left. So she drags her two youngest children (who looked so miserable throughout the episode) and her doting husband across to Bradford(Yes! Bradford!) to make her decision as to whether she and the family (ie. her, the husband and the 2 youngest) will now live in Yorkshire or return to NZ for the rest of their lives. SHE has the final say. The decision rests with HER and HER ALONE.

And you're feeling sorry for her?

Geez!

Pity they didn't show her Great Ormond Street whilst she was back if she really wanted something to cry over.

Or the lastest UK crime figures, unemployment levels, teenage pregnancy numbers, risinh house costs, council tax etc.

She doesn't know she's born.
derbyflan is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:26 pm
  #27  
Grace and gratitude
 
pommybird's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere else
Posts: 6,407
pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK on TV now!

Originally Posted by derbyflan
I didn't feel for her one bit. I really thought she was absolutely selfish.

There she is, the mother of 5 healthy children, living in NZ with a husband who obviously adores her. Her 3 eldest who went out with her originally 16 years ago and seem to be doing well for themselves. One is a Pilot who is likely to be moving across to Aus. The eldest has his own family now.

She, on the other hand, has been pineing for the Yorkshire Dales on and off ever since she left. So she drags her two youngest children (who looked so miserable throughout the episode) and her doting husband across to Bradford(Yes! Bradford!) to make her decision as to whether she and the family (ie. her, the husband and the 2 youngest) will now live in Yorkshire or return to NZ for the rest of their lives. SHE has the final say. The decision rests with HER and HER ALONE.

And you're feeling sorry for her?

Geez!

Pity they didn't show her Great Ormond Street whilst she was back if she really wanted something to cry over.

Or the lastest UK crime figures, unemployment levels, teenage pregnancy numbers, risinh house costs, council tax etc.

She doesn't know she's born.
Blimey cut the woman some slack mate!! Of course you cannot compare her homesickness to something as devastating and all encompassing as having a seriously ill child but at the end of the day her situation was quite sad.

She agreed Bradford was not a place she would now want to live but did really like Skipton and the Dales which to me looked beautiful.

She DID put her children and grandchildren first by agreeing to stay in NZ when it was patently obvious that her heart well and truly lies in the UK and always will - I did not think she was selfish at all - she was a loving wife and mother who put her family before herself, she knew she had made her bed by moving to NZ and bringing up her family there and she had to deal with the reality of either choosing to leave her older three children and uprooting the younger two or kissing goodbye to her dream of returning to the UK - she chose to kiss goodbye to her dream so no, I do not think she is selfish at all!!
pommybird is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:51 pm
  #28  
ex-squaddie
 
derbyflan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Aylesbury, UK
Posts: 4,605
derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK on TV now!

Cut her slack? Why?

I guess I should've realised that this is section of BE dominated by those wanting to go home and so the responses to the episode so far are pretty much predictable.

But...

Really? What the **** is that programme all about anyway? Why take someone who is clearly thinking about returning home to another county (Notts in this case) and show them what life 'might' be like there? Why take the family to what is probably the best school or should I say Academy for miles around most likley with a waiting list as long as the distance between Bradford and NZ and use it as an example of West Yorkshire schooling? When clearly, her kids are hardly likley to walk through airport arrivals and walk through the school gates.

I admit that last night's was the first I'd watched but I couldn't help wanting to shake the woman! Did she really put her family first? I honestly don't think she did at all.

It was all about her and what she wanted. Her family were bending over backwards to pander to her homesickness - so much so that they were willing to relocate just for her. What about her two youngest and her husband ffs?

In the end, she decided to stay in NZ because she couldn't bare to leave her three oldest boys (or should I say 'men') and her Grandchild behind. I'm sure they'll be off doing whatever they want soon enough anyway. And quite right too. But regardless of her children, she decided to stay in NZ because it was right for her and no one else.
derbyflan is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:55 pm
  #29  
Grace and gratitude
 
pommybird's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere else
Posts: 6,407
pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK on TV now!

Originally Posted by derbyflan
Cut her slack? Why?

I guess I should've realised that this is section of BE dominated by those wanting to go home and so the responses to the episode so far are pretty much predictable.

But...

Really? What the **** is that programme all about anyway? Why take someone who is clearly thinking about returning home to another county (Notts in this case) and show them what life 'might' be like there? Why take the family to what is probably the best school or should I say Academy for miles around most likley with a waiting list as long as the distance between Bradford and NZ and use it as an example of West Yorkshire schooling? When clearly, her kids are hardly likley to walk through airport arrivals and walk through the school gates.

I admit that last night's was the first I'd watched but I couldn't help wanting to shake the woman! Did she really put her family first? I honestly don't think she did at all.

It was all about her and what she wanted. Her family were bending over backwards to pander to her homesickness - so much so that they were willing to relocate just for her. What about her two youngest and her husband ffs?

In the end, she decided to stay in NZ because she couldn't bare to leave her three oldest boys (or should I say 'men') and her Grandchild behind. I'm sure they'll be off doing whatever they want soon enough anyway. And quite right too. But regardless of her children, she decided to stay in NZ because it was right for her and no one else.
Well we will have to agree to disagree on this one - I thought she was not selfish at all and I could totally empathise with her - just goes to show we're all different and see situations differently - anyway what's your story haven't seen you in the MBTUK forum before??
pommybird is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:59 pm
  #30  
ex-squaddie
 
derbyflan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Aylesbury, UK
Posts: 4,605
derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK on TV now!

Just passing though Saw the title of the thread, remembered tha I'd watched the programme last night, thought I'd have a read and was compelled to gob-off!

What about yourself?
derbyflan is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.