Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK with teenagers - schooling question

Moving back to the UK with teenagers - schooling question

Old Sep 28th 2023, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

lenandsons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to the UK with teenagers - schooling question

Thanks all for the responses, if anything groundbreaking happens when I speak to councils regarding schooling, I will let you know
Old Sep 28th 2023, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=lenandsons;13216844]Thanks for all the replies, one of my biggest concerns for my eldest is how do we accommodate things like GCSE'S etc. I have never had a school age kid in the UK and having grown up and done my own schooling in South Africa, I am unclear on all the key milestones.[/QUOTE

Hi, Our youngest was 16 when we returned to the uk, in Aus he had just started year 12 and studying for his tee’s , he wanted to come to England in the April as he wanted to have a good look at 6th Forms and Colleges and to start in the September, so we left Aus earlier than planned, we brought all his yr 11 and some of his yr12 school work with us and took them along to the colleges then our son had a look around the colleges he was interested in and was given excellent advice and was really impressed with the options for study open to him, he studied for two years at the local 6th form (his choice) applied for Uni and was offered a few places at various universities, he choice was Manchester had a gap year (he worked locally and got to know more people) he is now a teacher, he says he finds the educational system here very flexible for learning choices and options and was saying last night that if it was his choice again he would skip Uni and do an apprenticeship (a lot of his friends chose that option) and they are even better apprenticeships available nowadays. I know how worrying it all can be when children are involved but have a good talk with your child and look at all options and avenues open to you and then make a decision. Good luck
Old Oct 2nd 2023, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

My DD just told me that a friend who moved from London to Cambridge in the summer still doesn't have a school place for her daughter 5 weeks into the school term.
It is the start of her GCSEs this year.
Old Oct 3rd 2023, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
My DD just told me that a friend who moved from London to Cambridge in the summer still doesn't have a school place for her daughter 5 weeks into the school term.
It is the start of her GCSEs this year.
Hi, Has your DD’s friend a reason for this? ie it could be that the school of choice is oversubscribed if that was the case then an offer for another school will be given, some parents “keep” their children away from school if they do not want to except a 2nd choice school until a place comes available ((I have personal experience of this) in their preferred school.
Old Oct 4th 2023, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I did ask the question and she wasn't sure but she didn't think that it was the parents' doing.
She said that she had another friend who had a similar problem.
My 2 GSs moved town this summer and didn't receive confirmation that they were accepted into their local catchment school until one week before the term started.
That was down to a very inefficient education office.
The point that I am trying to make is that there can be problems for people moving within the same country and the same education system.
The system in certain areas is bulging at the moment because there were some large year groups who started school several years ago.