Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK to take care of aging parents..

Moving back to UK to take care of aging parents..

Old Jan 11th 2018, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Islandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really nice
Default Moving back to UK to take care of aging parents..

Been in USA for over 30yrs+, however, I have aging parents, Dad is showing signs of Alzheimer's..and Mum as is primary carer is overwhelmed.
Since I am without husband, kids or any other major roots, except for a home, I am looking to start the process of returning back to help mum care for for dad. I need to re-establish my UK footprint. So far, I have been told that I need a NIH #? Prior to leaving the UK, I did work for the NHS system for about 3 years, would I be able to get that from them? I gave up my UK passport, decades ago when I obtained US citizenship, when I tried to do the online UK passport application, it mentioned about having to do an interview, which is something new to me.
I am really not looking to work in the UK, as I am close enough to be near early retirement, and have a healthy 401K plan, and will have the funds from sale of my US home. Do I get double taxed for income coming from US, but living in UK? I really rather not have my retirement frittered away in taxes. So looking for some guidelines on those that started or planning to take this journey.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK to take care of aging parents..

Originally Posted by Islandgurl
Been in USA for over 30yrs+, however, I have aging parents, Dad is showing signs of Alzheimer's..and Mum as is primary carer is overwhelmed.
Since I am without husband, kids or any other major roots, except for a home, I am looking to start the process of returning back to help mum care for for dad. I need to re-establish my UK footprint. So far, I have been told that I need a NIH #? Prior to leaving the UK, I did work for the NHS system for about 3 years, would I be able to get that from them? I gave up my UK passport, decades ago when I obtained US citizenship, when I tried to do the online UK passport application, it mentioned about having to do an interview, which is something new to me.
I am really not looking to work in the UK, as I am close enough to be near early retirement, and have a healthy 401K plan, and will have the funds from sale of my US home. Do I get double taxed for income coming from US, but living in UK? I really rather not have my retirement frittered away in taxes. So looking for some guidelines on those that started or planning to take this journey.
Sorry to hear the reasons for your need to return.

I assume you are referring to your National Insurance #. You can get this by completing a form here:

https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number

You refer to giving up your British passport. Presumably you just mean that you allowed it to expire. You have to apply for a new British passport online. It does mention an interview, but that is rarely required. I would just go ahead and apply.

No you are not generally double taxed. There is a tax treaty between the US and UK which governs which country taxes what.

Last edited by MidAtlantic; Jan 11th 2018 at 4:41 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Islandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really nice

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Sorry to hear the reasons for your need to return.

I assume you are referring to your National Insurance #. You can get this by completing a form here:

https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number

You refer to giving up your British passport. Presumably you just mean that you allowed it to expire. You have to apply for a new British passport online. It does mention an interview, but that is rarely required. I would just go ahead and apply.

No you are not generally double taxed. There is a tax treaty between the US and UK which governs which country taxes what.
Thanks! Exactly what I need for NIH#
During my career in the US, I started working for US government, and those positions required a top secret security clearance, and I was forced to give it up then. Since then though, I moved to private sector employment, and never envisaged me having to need it again. I also worry about whether, after all this time, I will really adapt to being back in the UK. I have read so many posts here about folks regretting they went back. But, I can't leave Mum and Dad in the situation they are in, no fault of their own.

Last edited by Islandgurl; Jan 11th 2018 at 6:00 pm. Reason: additional
Old Jan 11th 2018, 5:39 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

During my career in the US, I started working for US government, and those positions required a top secret security clearance, and I was forced to give it up then. Since then though, I moved to private sector employment, and never envisaged me having to need it again. I also worry about whether, after all this time, I will really adapt to being back in the UK. I have read so many posts here about folks regretting they went back. But, I can't leave Mum and Dad in the situation they are in, no fault of their own.
Sorry to read about your Mum and Dad, such a worry for you. Just checking that my understanding is correct (it's not always!) - you were required to formally renounce your UK citizenship?
Old Jan 11th 2018, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Prior to leaving the UK, I did work for the NHS system for about 3 years, would I be able to get that from them?
Once you got your NI number back, you should check how much UK state pension (if any) you are entitle to using the link below -

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

You can increase your UK state pension by paying backdated voluntary National Insurance contributions.

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions

You can open an UK bank account in the US with HSBC.

https://www.us.hsbc.com/international-banking/#opening
Old Jan 11th 2018, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You will not pay tax twice. To avoid that, there are Double Taxation Agreements.

Check if your father is already getting Attendance Allowance. All is explained on gov.uk website
Old Jan 11th 2018, 8:32 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I am truly amazed at the naiveté of some expats, especially ones who have found this forum.

Good luck OP.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Sorry to read about your Mum and Dad, such a worry for you. Just checking that my understanding is correct (it's not always!) - you were required to formally renounce your UK citizenship?
That is what I am wondering, as it could be a factor in getting a new British passport. BIP will advise, I am sure.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 9:37 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I am truly amazed at the naiveté of some expats, especially ones who have found this forum.

Good luck OP.
What do you mean, Novo?
Old Jan 11th 2018, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

During my career in the US, I started working for US government, and those positions required a top secret security clearance, and I was forced to give it up then. .
Are you actually sure about this? You have revoked your British citizenship?

Because if you have, then you are going to have to do more than just apply for a passport. Until such time as you can re-gain your British citizenship the you are only going to be visiting the UK

https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-...sh-nationality
Old Jan 11th 2018, 10:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michali
That is what I am wondering, as it could be a factor in getting a new British passport. BIP will advise, I am sure.
No citizenship, no passport. It would be rare however for someone to actually formally renounce their British citizenship with the Home Office. The OP will need to come back to confirm that.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about the reasons for you having to return. Hopefully you have not formally renounced your UK citizenship and simply surrendered your passport as part of obtaining your security clearance. We have friends who came over from England in 1965 and a few years later when they took US citizenship they surrendered their passports because that was what was done at the time. Recently they discovered they had not formally renounced UK citizenship and were entitled to a UK passport.

Originally Posted by scot47
You will not pay tax twice. To avoid that, there are Double Taxation Agreements.
As a US citizen you will have to file taxes in both countries and take tax credits which usually means you won't be paying additional taxes.

Before moving you should probably roll over your company 401k retirement savings to an IRA at a brokerage that accepts overseas residents. This is a tax free event but may make it much easier to manage from the UK. Talk to your provider now about the options, they may actually say it's not a problem for you to be managing and withdrawing funds while you live overseas. (Our son did this last year, it took about 3 weeks after he had left his company to get it done).

Last edited by durham_lad; Jan 12th 2018 at 10:56 am.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

During my career in the US, I started working for US government, and those positions required a top secret security clearance, and I was forced to give it up then.
If you did officially renounce your British Citizenship with the UK Home Office, you may be able to regain your British Citizenship by applying to resume your British Citizenship using form RS1. Please see link below for details -

https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-...sh-nationality

AFAIK, you can only resume your British Citizenship once in a lifetime.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

Going home to take care of aging parents is a tough decision. Tougher still to see it all happening at a distance where you cannot help.
Good luck with your move and remember, the US is only a short plane journey away if you need a break, or a really good burger!