Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK from Spain

Moving back to UK from Spain

Old Oct 17th 2006, 8:36 pm
Banned

Bossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Spain

Originally Posted by Gray C
Thanks for your reply and good luck with your move to NZ. Where abouts in Spain do you live?

We are a family of 3 and would hope to buy a property without a mortgage and can take a regular income to Spain of about £1,100 per month. Do you think that we can live reasonably comfortably on that level of income. If not, how much more do you think we will need to earn.

We do not want to live on the coast and would like to live inland a bit because we believe it is cheaper. Correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers

Graham

From what i have read and seen you should be comfortable with that , as long as you dont want a fancy living ,,etc.. ie; flash cars , speedboats , designer clothes etc
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:59 pm
jae
Just Joined

jae is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Karen2000
Hi
Perhaps I can add a little on the subject of returning from Spain . My husband and I have lived in Spain for 2 1/2 years now and we have been very happy here , we have had the house here for more than 4 years , we used it as a holiday home initially. The only problem here is is the work or absolute lack of it , I don`t mean only for the English as unemployment amongst the Spanish is also high . Building work is probably easier to come by but other types of work are difficult to get , my husband worked for BT for 17 years and has been un employed in Spain since January .
We have now made the difficult decision to move from Spain to NZ , my husband is a NZ citizen , he has a tentative job offer already and intends to leave next month with me following in about 3 months time .

We both feel that if you need to work in Spain and have a regular steady income you will find it difficult , we live in a lovely area with beautiful countryside and have a lovely home and honestly are reluctant to move . We will return at some time and intend to rent our house until that is possible , all the reasons we came here in the first place still stand but my husband is 35 and needs to work and feel valued . We have given it time to work out but for us it is not to be .

The only advice I would give is research carefully and if you need a job think very hard before coming to this part of Spain , lovely people , beautiful weather and great for kids

I hope this is of some help to someone
Karen
We also found work hard to come by and when it did it was the same old hotel/bar work..........., this is the initial reason we came back to the UK. However, as I said before we do intend to return to Spain, we were not put off we just decided to come back and do some research, save and re-train. Now hopefully when we do return we will have better options and be more prepared.

Everywhere has good and bad points, you have to try to make it work for you and if it doesn't work just move on, like Karen!
Definitely research thoroughly before you move and seriously think about what you want to gain out of the move, why do you want to move to Spain, what do you expect....

Everyones views/expectations/priorities/circumstances are very different.
Someone out there may have loved to have lived our life 2 years ago, it may have been their dream. We had a great time and loved it but just decided that if we were to stay out there longterm and make it our home we needed more career options.

Moving to Spain was the best thing I have ever done and hopefully this time next year we will be back over there!!!

Good luck and enjoy!
Janie
Old Oct 18th 2006, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Karen2000 is just really niceKaren2000 is just really niceKaren2000 is just really niceKaren2000 is just really niceKaren2000 is just really niceKaren2000 is just really niceKaren2000 is just really niceKaren2000 is just really niceKaren2000 is just really nice

Hi I probably didn`t make myself clear sorry ! what I meant was if you need to earn a regular steady income most people find it very difficult .
I live in Almeria near to Mojacar and Garrucha approx 20 mins from the coast , it is very Spanish here but the British population is rising fast . Perhaps , this might make job prospects more promising as the demand for everything increases .
You could definately live quite comfortably on £1000 a month most people we know us included live on less and have a good life . We feel the problem is when the car breaks down or the washing machine gives up the ghost you need savings to replace these things . I have noticed that things are rising steadily in Spain esp. electricity which is quite expensive . All in all we have decided you need to be able to save for the future not just live from month to month
As I said before it is a lovely country to live in and we will return , I wish you all the best of luck

Karen