Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK for schooling

Moving back to UK for schooling

Old Jul 21st 2020, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Manoj79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK for schooling

Hi everyone,
My family and I are British Citizens and moved to USA 2 years back. I still have my property in England. My child is going into 10th Grade (in UK terminology Year 11) in Sept 2020. However, he wants to complete his Year 11/GCSE and A-levels from a UK boarding school (we have tentative placement offer in hand). The school is in a different town than where I lived in the UK. He intends to study medicine in the UK too. As of now, we are thinking to send my child to the UK for studies and I stay in the USA. Wondering if anyone of you were in similar situation who could share their experiences? Also if anyone wants to share their thoughts if the idea is good or bad or I should consider any major factors that I might not have considered yet. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 21st 2020, 4:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK for schooling

Originally Posted by Manoj79 View Post
Hi everyone,
My family and I are British Citizens and moved to USA 2 years back. I still have my property in England. My child is going into 10th Grade (in UK terminology Year 11) in Sept 2020. However, he wants to complete his Year 11/GCSE and A-levels from a UK boarding school (we have tentative placement offer in hand). The school is in a different town than where I lived in the UK. He intends to study medicine in the UK too. As of now, we are thinking to send my child to the UK for studies and I stay in the USA. Wondering if anyone of you were in similar situation who could share their experiences? Also if anyone wants to share their thoughts if the idea is good or bad or I should consider any major factors that I might not have considered yet. Thanks in advance.
Hi, welcome to BE.

I've got a child the same age, has your son been studying the British curriculum for the past 2 years? If he's been at a British school then he should be fine, but if he's been studying the US curriculum then I can't see how he'd do well enough in his GCSE's when he hasn't covered any of the subjects tbh. His mocks may be in November (and unlike normal years, they may count for his 'proper' results, if it goes the same way again as this year), so it wouldn't give him much time to get up to speed with everything, and if he wants to do Biology and Chemistry at A Level, he'll need 7's or above in them which could be really tricky for him.

Could he not finish high school in the US and then go to the UK for university?

I'll move your thread to the Moving Back to the UK forum, where you'll get more responses.

Best of luck whatever you decide.
Old Jul 21st 2020, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Manoj79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for the quick response. Although my child has been studying GCSE curriculum (self/online tutoring etc), but definitely catch-up for GCSE curriculum is one of the biggest factors I'm considering at the moment. One of the reasons for him to go now vs going after finishing high school that if might be considered as home student - both for the number of seats available in the university and fee.
Old Jul 21st 2020, 7:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manoj79 View Post
Thanks so much for the quick response. Although my child has been studying GCSE curriculum (self/online tutoring etc), but definitely catch-up for GCSE curriculum is one of the biggest factors I'm considering at the moment. One of the reasons for him to go now vs going after finishing high school that if might be considered as home student - both for the number of seats available in the university and fee.
Would the cost of 3 years of boarding school not outweigh any saving on uni fees?

What took you to the US and what visas are you on there? If it’s a temporary visa and an employment based reason (i.e. work transfer & L1 visa), your son may qualify for home fees anyway.

if I’m completely honest, I wouldn’t do what you’re proposing. If your son wants to study medicine he’ll need really top GCSE & A Level results, you may be jeopardising that by moving him back just before mocks.