Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK school Year 10 after 18 months in US

Moving back to UK school Year 10 after 18 months in US

Old Jun 28th 2019, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

kikivoss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK school Year 10 after 18 months in US

Has anyone moved their kids back in to a UK school at Year 10 after a short stint in the US?

I have twins starting Year 8 this September and hubby has been offered an 18 month contract in the US meaning the kids would return to UK schooling in Year 10 at the start of their GCSE learning years. (Their schools have confirmed they will hold a space open for our return).

Has anyone done this? Has it been academically detrimental to the kids to have 18 months of US schooling then return to the UK school system? (My kids are of 'middle set' ability and would be returning to their well established friendship groups).

I want to view our move as a fantastic life opportunity, but there are so many scare stories of children dropping behind their peers after a short time away.

Has anyone tried to keep up with UK syllabus whilst abroad with guidance from the UK school?

Any advice gratefully taken on board!
Old Jun 28th 2019, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK school Year 10 after 18 months in US

In you earlier posts you said you were moving for a 3 year contract - now its only 18 months.

Seems like a big upheaval for such a short time......... especially for the children

What visa is this company obtaining for you?
Old Jun 28th 2019, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

kikivoss is an unknown quantity at this point

Hubby will be on an L1-A or L1-B visa and myself and kids will be 'spouse of' and 'dependants of'.

Hubby will probably have to stay for a minimum of 18 months, max 3 years, but I'm thinking that myself and the kids come back after 18 months/2 years to get them back to UK schooling by Year 10 at the latest. We'll all be able to commute back and forth in school holidays for hubs final stint as he'll still be living in the rental house.

We're trying not to think of it as an upheaval, more of an exciting opportunity to experience living in a different country, albeit for a short time, and all the positives that comes with it.

But obviously we're thinking long and hard before committing to anything as we don't want to put the children's education in jeopardy.

Their places at their current private schools will still be open to them on our return in to Year 10 and they can start their GCSE learning with all their peers, plus I'm thinking of what an amazing life experience this could be for them!
Old Jun 28th 2019, 5:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Do check that the school has no plans to change their start date for GCSE's - a lot of schools now (my children's included) do GCSE's over 3 years rather than 2, so they start in Year 9 which would mean your children would miss a vital year of GCSE prep.