Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK from San Francisco

Moving back to UK from San Francisco

Old May 10th 2015, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

cazsf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK from San Francisco

Hi all, I'm planning to move back to the UK at the end of the year. I know these topics are covered in different threads but wonder if there's anyone with specific experience in the SF/Bay Area of working with shippers for kitties, and household items. I have got a few quotes but in would be grateful if anyone has any specific experience they can recommend. Thanks!
Old May 10th 2015, 9:35 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from San Francisco

No idea about the cats, but for household we used Rainier overseas shipping. They have a warehouse in Fremont. very nice and very professional.
Old May 13th 2015, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Is that "ray-neer" or "ray-nee-er" ? The latter would seem more appropriate, from what I remember of the weather as a student in Wales all those years ago.
Old May 14th 2015, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

cazsf is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info. I have contacted them. Yes, that pronunciation thing for Rainer....never quite sure!
Old May 16th 2015, 9:10 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

It's Rainier like the mountain in Oregon.
Old May 16th 2015, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I just assumed it was like Prince Rainier.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

gjscott is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cazsf
Hi all, I'm planning to move back to the UK at the end of the year. I know these topics are covered in different threads but wonder if there's anyone with specific experience in the SF/Bay Area of working with shippers for kitties, and household items. I have got a few quotes but in would be grateful if anyone has any specific experience they can recommend. Thanks!
I'm also doing a similar move, from Sunnyvale to Newcastle.

I want to ship 3 motorcycles, all our clothes, PC, Queen bed and other misc household items.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It's Rainier like the mountain in Oregon.
Washington
Old Aug 18th 2015, 6:13 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Washington
Can I use the excuse of not having gone to school in US?
Old Aug 19th 2015, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Hurley1 will become famous soon enoughHurley1 will become famous soon enough

Def recommend Rainier, David is great there, he helped us ship our home contents back from Florida, the boys were very careful with everything and it was packed amazingly well. It got back to the UK in two weeks so very fast but obviously that was an East Coast move so slightly quicker but yep def contact them. We flew our cat back with BA and arranged it direct with them, I didn't use a pet shipping agency, just did it ourselves. So long as you have a pet passport with up to date rabies jabs all you need is a vets fit to fly certificate within ten days of your UK arrival date. Heathrow animal handling were great, our cat was his normal self and not affected at all. You could try Virgin as well but as our cats a Persian they wouldn't fly him as their policy is not to fly snub nosed pets. We used a large plastic air standard pet crate with a pee pad which worked well. Anyway hope this helps and good luck, hope everything goes well for you and your fur babies!
Old Aug 19th 2015, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Here's the Defra helpline details if you want any questions answered, I found them really helpful as all the U.S. Vets I spoke to were telling me I needed loads more paperwork than I really did! More money for them! Anyway thankfully Defra told me what I really needed and put my mind at rest. Hope this helps!
Pet Travel Scheme helpline
[email protected]
Telephone: 0370 241 1710
Old Aug 20th 2015, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

gjscott is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hurley1
Def recommend Rainier, David is great there, he helped us ship our home contents back from Florida, the boys were very careful with everything and it was packed amazingly well. It got back to the UK in two weeks so very fast but obviously that was an East Coast move so slightly quicker but yep def contact them. We flew our cat back with BA and arranged it direct with them, I didn't use a pet shipping agency, just did it ourselves. So long as you have a pet passport with up to date rabies jabs all you need is a vets fit to fly certificate within ten days of your UK arrival date. Heathrow animal handling were great, our cat was his normal self and not affected at all. You could try Virgin as well but as our cats a Persian they wouldn't fly him as their policy is not to fly snub nosed pets. We used a large plastic air standard pet crate with a pee pad which worked well. Anyway hope this helps and good luck, hope everything goes well for you and your fur babies!
What did Rainier charge if you don't mind me asking ?

They quoted me :

Estimated volume: 300Cf. household goods + x3 motorcycles
Door to Door: $7,975.00 flat for 20ft container [exclusive use]
Old Aug 20th 2015, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

I can't remember the exact amount but I know it was between five and six thousand US dollars. We only filled 3/4 of a 20ft container though and it was from Florida to Bristol door to door. I have to say their service was great and if we needed to I would use them again. Good luck with the move.