British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Moving back to UK to rent while property sells (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/moving-back-uk-rent-while-property-sells-841053/)

profbook Aug 15th 2014 4:37 pm

Moving back to UK to rent while property sells

Hi,
I am thinking of moving back to the UK from France next year having lived here since 2008.
I will want to rent a property initially as it may take time for my french house to sell.
I am retired as is my partner, and we have pension income paid into a UK bank registered to our french address.
I am concerned that I will have problems finding an agency that will rent me a property without a recent UK credit history.
Has anyone any thought on this? I am told you can'r rent without the credit score but others say its ok if you pay 6 months rent up front.
Anyone able to clarify please?

cyrian Aug 15th 2014 6:12 pm

Re: Moving back to UK to rent while property sells

Originally Posted by profbook (Post 11370321)
Hi,
I am thinking of moving back to the UK from France next year having lived here since 2008.
I will want to rent a property initially as it may take time for my french house to sell.
I am retired as is my partner, and we have pension income paid into a UK bank registered to our french address.
I am concerned that I will have problems finding an agency that will rent me a property without a recent UK credit history.
Has anyone any thought on this? I am told you can'r rent without the credit score but others say its ok if you pay 6 months rent up front.
Anyone able to clarify please?

Why don't you contact a rental agency (normally estate agents) in your chosen area and ask them? You have a regular income and you can ask them if that will suffice.

profbook Aug 15th 2014 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by cyrian (Post 11370393)
Why don't you contact a rental agency (normally estate agents) in your chosen area and ask them? You have a regular income and you can ask them if that will suffice.

Yes, thanks. I'll do that, but I was just hoping someone else may have had some experience of this situation and could share it.

Tuppence Aug 16th 2014 2:05 am

We have just secured a rental after 10 years away in Canada. The outsourced reference agency wouldn't accept my continuing foreign business income (plus my husband is quitting here and hasn't secured a new UK job yet). We thought we would be falling back on a guarantor (who has to meet the same income requirements) or 6 months up front, but they actually took investment statements as proof of cash in the bank. We had to show 40 x monthly rent (I think that was the multiple).