Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving Back to the UK - Practical Tips and Lessons Learned

Moving Back to the UK - Practical Tips and Lessons Learned

Old Jun 8th 2012, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Back to the UK - Practical Tips and Lessons Learned

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I don't think so. They clearly have a record of my license on file based on my conversations with them - they just need to make sure that I am who I say I am, hence all the documentation. Fingers crossed anyway!
Have you found the driving a challenge? Did you purchase an automatic?
Old Jun 8th 2012, 10:23 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we got an automatic - I have no interest in messing about with a manual!

Driving has been a piece of cake and honestly I was really nervous about it. but as soon as I started driving, it all came back - the other side of the road, roundabouts, road signs - all of it! The only thing I keep doing is getting in the wrong side of the car. I always feel like such an idiot
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we got an automatic - I have no interest in messing about with a manual!

Driving has been a piece of cake and honestly I was really nervous about it. but as soon as I started driving, it all came back - the other side of the road, roundabouts, road signs - all of it! The only thing I keep doing is getting in the wrong side of the car. I always feel like such an idiot
That's funny!! After almost 40 years in the US, I still sometimes go to the passenger side ;-)
Old Jun 9th 2012, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Deb568 has a spectacular aura aboutDeb568 has a spectacular aura aboutDeb568 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Arctic Fox
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but how do folks, returning to the UK, get on with motor vehicle insurance?

The information I have is that after a couple of years or so, my UK 'no claims discount' becomes invalid (if you've been resident abroad) and foreign evidence of 'no claims' isn't necessarily accepted

Could become an expensive return...?
You need to bring a letter from your current insurers, stating your years insured and no claims discount bonuses, preferably a separate letter for each driver.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Deb568
You need to bring a letter from your current insurers, stating your years insured and no claims discount bonuses, preferably a separate letter for each driver.
Thanks Deb.....gotta a clear record so far......
Old Mar 4th 2013, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

What a great thread! Bookmarking it for future
Old Mar 20th 2013, 2:27 am
Just Joined

DudleysPa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
That's funny!! After almost 40 years in the US, I still sometimes go to the passenger side ;-)
Been there, done that, usually at gas stations. For a while, I often found myself sat down in the car, all by myself, but without a steering wheel in front of me. I then discovered the art of making an exaggerated show of rummaging around in the glove compartment.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Originally Posted by windsong
What a great thread! Bookmarking it for future
me too, I've only just found it now but wished I'd seen it sooner. I'll be keeping this one on my regular reading schedule
Old Mar 20th 2013, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Originally Posted by DudleysPa
Been there, done that, usually at gas stations. For a while, I often found myself sat down in the car, all by myself, but without a steering wheel in front of me. I then discovered the art of making an exaggerated show of rummaging around in the glove compartment.

I've done that a lot in UK when we've visited, and yes you feel like a complete tit when you get into the passenger seat
Old Mar 20th 2013, 11:08 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Another bookmarking the thread here...

Thanks for the great advice Sally.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

KittyB52 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
I've done that a lot in UK when we've visited, and yes you feel like a complete tit when you get into the passenger seat
I do that as well. Only when we're back in the UK, the husband does all the driving, so if I go to the 'wrong' side, I can loudly exclaim 'TWO steering wheels? A little pretentious, don't you think?" before sheepishly sidling back round to the other side.

That's something else to look forward to when we move back - driving in the UK. Haven't done that since about 1995.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KittyB52
I do that as well. Only when we're back in the UK, the husband does all the driving, so if I go to the 'wrong' side, I can loudly exclaim 'TWO steering wheels? A little pretentious, don't you think?" before sheepishly sidling back round to the other side.

That's something else to look forward to when we move back - driving in the UK. Haven't done that since about 1995.
Try 1981 I did return in 1988 for a year, but didn't get a car. I remember when I took my test in 1979 it was in the examiner's car and it had dual pedals. Good thing too as I failed the first time. He had to slam on "his" brakes when I almost hit a parked car
Old Apr 17th 2013, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

jkgoulds will become famous soon enoughjkgoulds will become famous soon enough

We’re just over 2 weeks away from moving back to the UK and as we’ve worked through the process of moving back, we’ve learned some tips and lessons. I had some many questions when we started out, so I thought I’d share my tips with anyone who needs them.

Banking

Having read nightmare stories of people unable to open bank accounts or get credit cards in the UK, we moved our banking to HSBC a few months ago. Once our US accounts were open, we were able to open a UK account in advance and we now have debit cards and UK credit cards all ready to go when we get back. The advantage of doing it this way is that the US office can share your US credit history with the UK and therefore you can get credit cards without any hassle.

It’s been a bit of a headache administratively just because there are so many steps to go through (open US account and online banking, then open UK account, then ask for debit and credit cards etc) but all the way through, HSBC have been very helpful.

Also, if you have over a certain amount of money (different in each country) you can open a premier account – this gives you additional services and more personal attention. But even with a basic account, you can get all set up in the UK before you arrive.

Finding a rental property

We can’t stay with family and friends because we have cats who don’t mix well, so we needed to find a rental from over here. We are also self-employed and don’t have any UK credit history, so we thought we might have problems. To make it easier we hired a home-finding company recommended by another BE user. It’s not cheap but it turned out to be worth its weight in gold. Rentals are so competitive right now that we needed her speed. She spotted the house we rented before anyone else, and that allowed us to secure it.

The lack of credit wasn’t a problem. I offered to provide a copy of our US credit report and they were happy with that. (We can order those for free over here once a year).

The homefinder we used is County Home Search and it costs £750 upfront and then one month's rent if they find you a place. They do a LOT of running around for that money and send detailed reports, photos and videos of each house they visit.

National Insurance

We wanted to have these numbers in case they were needed for anything but had no idea what they were. There’s a number for ex-pats to call, which is 44 191 225 4811. Just be warned that even when they say they’ll send you your number, it seems to be hit and miss whether a letter actually goes out. I had to call 3 times and my husband had to call twice. We eventually both got the numbers but it took 3 months from start to finish.

Utilities

I have no idea about other providers, but we’re going with Utilities Warehouse. You can order gas, electric, landline, mobile phones and Internet all from them and then you just get one bill. They’ve been very helpful. If you order 4 or more services, you get a 10% discount on your energy bills, which already seem quite reasonable.

Internet

If having decent Internet speeds is important to you, you need to check the areas you plan to move to. We had to change our plans quite drastically after finding out that the place we wanted on the banks of lake got download speeds of only 1MB. Not even enough to watch a Youtube clip without it freezing up.

Don’t pay any attention to the speeds advertised by the companies except when looking at cable services (Virgin fiber optic and BT Infinity). When a company sells a package for ‘speeds up to …’ the real speeds are never what they promise and depend on how far the house is from the telephone exchange. Use this website to check actual speeds for any postcode. http://www.uswitch.com

---------------------------

That's it so far. We're moving cats but I don't know what I've learned about that yet. I'll have to update when it's all done.

Don't know if this was helpful, but if anyone has any questions, let me know.
Hi there!

I figure you would be back in england now? even more so, back in my home town! please, tell me... how is it!?

me and my partner are planning to come back in august but we have no idea where to start. it seems so much harder then coming to canada - crazy eh!

in regards to the banking, do you have to set up a bank prior to returning back to the UK? i know my partners old bank will not look at him twice - left 21p in 2 years ago and it now has amounted up to over 3000 pounds according to his father who has had a recent letter! very worrying indeed.

we have 2 cats to bring back too, how did this go? we are in the process of trying to get the rabies shots etc... was there any problems and also, who did you fly with? can you recommend a company who take pets on as cargo - unfortunatly i see england dont accept any pets who is on cabin!

anyway, good luck with the future

PS i only just noticed the ''fingerrolss...'' and i was like OH i read pretty much her whole blog the other night for hours! - your blog made my descion to go back to the uk so much more lightening and possible, i want to say thank you! great job im thinking of doing something similar but im not a writer, nor good at english but i like the idea of recording things! your blog has been such an inspiration

Last edited by jkgoulds; Apr 17th 2013 at 5:18 am.