Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK as a pensioner

Wikiposts

Moving back to UK as a pensioner

Old Oct 3rd 2009, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

ex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really nice
Default Moving back to UK as a pensioner

I everybody, I'm new to this forum but have been reading your posts for some time. We are thinking of moving back to England next year when retired. We haven't decided where. My question is has anybody had the experience of moving to a totally new area, knowing nobody and not having usual contact opportunities like school gate chats and work colleagues and how did it work out for you.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 4:30 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK as a pensioner

Depends what your alternative is. Do you have friends and family anywhere in UK? If so what is your reason for wanting to move somewhere new?

I think the biggest potential difficulties are making a new social/support network. Real friendships take a while to find and develop. Having said that, if you live somewhere small like a rural village I woujld imagine the community atmosphere/setup may make it that bit easier to settle.

However as retirees I presume you will be/soon be at an age where health care may become an issue. Perhaps a small semi rural area on the edge of a larger town or city may be the answer.

I can sympathise with you as I moved overseas 8 years ago at 44. I am planning to move back in next 2 to 3 years aged 55. I would like to move back to my home town (B'ham) where I haven't lived since I was 19. Having lived in 3 different countries and 8 different apartments in the last 8 years, the thought of doing this (moving somewhere new in UK) is filling me with apprehension.

A difficult choice. As you get older, mistakes (such as moving to the wrong area) which could take a number of years to remedy, become more significant that in if you were say in your mid 20's or 30's

Good luck
Old Oct 4th 2009, 11:53 am
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

We are retired and last November we went back to UK for the winter to a totally different area from where we come from. We stayed near Bournemouth which many retirees go to because of the milder winters and we have to say having spent many winters in Florida we found the weather very good.

We rented a very nice apartment across the road from the sea/clifftop and in fact we are going back in a few weeks time for this coming winter.

We knew nobody except for one couple we met a few years ago in Florida and we saw them from time to time. Our family what we have left (cousins and married sister-in-law are not much interested in us and we only saw a couple of them once - they live 100 miles in Glos.

We went to a senior's ballroom tea dance once while there and met some people and I'm sure if we had continued to go we would have made friends there. We also got to know people at a very friendly church we attended.

If you join up with an active senior's group you will get to know people. The above mentioned friends who have lived for many years in the Ferndown area have done just that and they have met people. She also does volunteer work when called upon to take senior's for appointments or whatever else they need in the way of transport.

It always takes time to make firm friends but over time it does happen.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
We are retired and last November we went back to UK for the winter to a totally different area from where we come from. We stayed near Bournemouth which many retirees go to because of the milder winters and we have to say having spent many winters in Florida we found the weather very good.

We rented a very nice apartment across the road from the sea/clifftop and in fact we are going back in a few weeks time for this coming winter.

We knew nobody except for one couple we met a few years ago in Florida and we saw them from time to time. Our family what we have left (cousins and married sister-in-law are not much interested in us and we only saw a couple of them once - they live 100 miles in Glos.

We went to a senior's ballroom tea dance once while there and met some people and I'm sure if we had continued to go we would have made friends there. We also got to know people at a very friendly church we attended.

If you join up with an active senior's group you will get to know people. The above mentioned friends who have lived for many years in the Ferndown area have done just that and they have met people. She also does volunteer work when called upon to take senior's for appointments or whatever else they need in the way of transport.

I was interested to read your post because I too am planning on returning to the UK as soon as my house sells, and am thinking about the Bournemouth area. This will be completely new to me, I have no friends or family to speak of left in the UK, I have lived in the US for 26 years now, and am moving on my own. Yes, it is scary, yes, I worry about the weather (I need heat!!), but I am still doing it - for the same reasons as everyone else. Can I ask you if it was hard finding somewhere to rent? I plan on not driving, not owning a car, will have to find some kind of part time work (two years off pension age), so was thinking about living outside of Bournemouth, maybe even towards Wimborne Minster. This is just guess work though, I have only lived as far South as Southampton and Winchester before. Any advice?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 12:15 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

aes1 - We stay in Southbourne which is 3 miles from Bournemouth. Boscombe is in between if you know the area, but not an ideal place to live/rent. Boscombe has become run down a bit, though they are building new condos. etc and building the place up.

Southbourne where we are we just walk down to Fisherman's Walk for the bus and although we have a car we often don't use it 3 days a week because we walk and bus.

There are plenty of apartments to choose from to rent and even houses/some bungalows. These are mostly unfurnished but the odd one can be found furnished. You will pay Council Taxes on top of your rent which can be about £80/90 month plus utilities but this will enable you to get a senior's bus pass if you are 60 and over. The bus pass for free transport starts at 9.30 am until well into the evening something like 11 pm.

We found our apartment on the net - it is Griffin Holiday Flats just off Southbourne Cliff Road and they are furnished. They are let on a long winter 6 month let but in summer they are let for holidaymakers on a weekly basis.
We had the Garden Flat which is adjacent to the main building, compact but very comfortable and ideal for one or two people. This year we are having another flat which is in the main building.

I think you will find there are flats etc to rent even in Wimborne Minster. Quite a few are older houses converted into flats which does not appeal to us but others obviously like them. If and when the time comes for us to get our own flat permanently we would look at flats that are in seniors blocks which from what we have seen are very nice well kept buildings and there are plenty around here and there either side of Bournemouth and all around.

Of course you will find the rooms smaller especially kitchens and bathrooms but then that is housing in UK!

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex brummy
I everybody, I'm new to this forum but have been reading your posts for some time. We are thinking of moving back to England next year when retired. We haven't decided where.
Considerations include have you got citizenship where you live (in case you want to come back) and is a social security agreement in place with the United Kingdom.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

aes1 - We stay in Southbourne which is 3 miles from Bournemouth. Boscombe is in between if you know the area, but not an ideal place to live/rent. Boscombe has become run down a bit, though they are building new condos. etc and building the place up.

Southbourne where we are we just walk down to Fisherman's Walk for the bus and although we have a car we often don't use it 3 days a week because we walk and bus.

There are plenty of apartments to choose from to rent and even houses/some bungalows. These are mostly unfurnished but the odd one can be found furnished. You will pay Council Taxes on top of your rent which can be about £80/90 month plus utilities but this will enable you to get a senior's bus pass if you are 60 and over. The bus pass for free transport starts at 9.30 am until well into the evening something like 11 pm.

We found our apartment on the net - it is Griffin Holiday Flats just off Southbourne Cliff Road and they are furnished. They are let on a long winter 6 month let but in summer they are let for holidaymakers on a weekly basis.
We had the Garden Flat which is adjacent to the main building, compact but very comfortable and ideal for one or two people. This year we are having another flat which is in the main building.

I think you will find there are flats etc to rent even in Wimborne Minster. Quite a few are older houses converted into flats which does not appeal to us but others obviously like them. If and when the time comes for us to get our own flat permanently we would look at flats that are in seniors blocks which from what we have seen are very nice well kept buildings and there are plenty around here and there either side of Bournemouth and all around.

Of course you will find the rooms smaller especially kitchens and bathrooms but then that is housing in UK!

Hope this helps.
Thanks for this, Pamela, very informative!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

ex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really nice

Originally Posted by aes1
Thanks for this, Pamela, very informative!
Originally Posted by JAJ
Considerations include have you got citizenship where you live (in case you want to come back) and is a social security agreement in place with the United Kingdom.
Thanks for your interest, we are fine in that respect OH has kept up UK Voluntary contributions all these years, will give us full UK pension.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Moving back to UK as a pensioner

Thanks Pamela, encouraging post.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Moving back to UK as a pensioner

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Depends what your alternative is. Do you have friends and family anywhere in UK? If so what is your reason for wanting to move somewhere new?

I think the biggest potential difficulties are making a new social/support network. Real friendships take a while to find and develop. Having said that, if you live somewhere small like a rural village I woujld imagine the community atmosphere/setup may make it that bit easier to settle.

However as retirees I presume you will be/soon be at an age where health care may become an issue. Perhaps a small semi rural area on the edge of a larger town or city may be the answer.

I can sympathise with you as I moved overseas 8 years ago at 44. I am planning to move back in next 2 to 3 years aged 55. I would like to move back to my home town (B'ham) where I haven't lived since I was 19. Having lived in 3 different countries and 8 different apartments in the last 8 years, the thought of doing this (moving somewhere new in UK) is filling me with apprehension.

A difficult choice. As you get older, mistakes (such as moving to the wrong area) which could take a number of years to remedy, become more significant that in if you were say in your mid 20's or 30's

Good luck
Victor Meldrew, thanks for your post. When were you last in BruM? You will need to research your areas very carefully - we were there in august this this year. we had some shocks.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:52 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Victor Meldrew, thanks for your post. When were you last in BruM? You will need to research your areas very carefully - we were there in august this this year. we had some shocks.
Actually, I moved out of Birmingham effectively when I went to College in 1976.

However, as I am considering moving back there I have spent a number of holidays there, including a 2 week period this summer and last Easter. Whilst there this Easter and Summer I looked around areas to live (Bournville - where I went to school, plus areas on the southern fringe - Wythall, Hollywood, Alvechurch) many of which, though expensive were really nice.

Compared to the 70's I find the city centre vibrant and much more culturally satisfying (and cleaner!) than when I literally lived in the centre between '72 and '76. We stayed in the Travelodge on Broad Street (bargain!) right in the centre of things and had a great time.

I also did a 'historical/cultural trail' and found it most rewarding and interesting.

I realise it is a big behemoth of a place with some less than nice places to live and visit, but on thw whole I was encouraged.

What is it you were so shocked about when you went back there?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

I everybody, I'm new to this forum but have been reading your posts for some time. We are thinking of moving back to England next year when retired. We haven't decided where. My question is has anybody had the experience of moving to a totally new area, knowing nobody and not having usual contact opportunities like school gate chats and work colleagues and how did it work out for you.
To answer your post...I had the experience of living in a new area..I was visiting family in Bham & Midlands but offered a place in Coventry which I took for 6 months and went Virgin train everywhere..My Mom was in a care home so I was unable to stay with her. I found a job funding my stay somewhat and did a little bit of sightseeing to boot. I knew nobody but met the neighbour (still email each other daily) and at work was invited to the pub for lunch ...had instant friends and invitations to other evenings out for socialising through folks at work. The neighbour also alone, took me in for supper on Friday evgs and we alternated cooking a curry. On lunchhours I did research in the local archives and got chatting to the front desk..who dug out the old 14century books and articles for me..Eventually finished a book and sent it to them at their request...got nice letter back. Went to Canterbury Cathedral on Virgin train 8am on a Sat morning and got there at 4.30pm just in time for them to close at 5pm...long story on that one. Went into B'ham lots., 20mins on train, 1hr on bus. Rag market is posh now but the outside row markets for veg are still same..barrow-boys shouting their wares and stalls packed with food and items for sale-can't beat it really!..here it would be regulated into extinction...(roadside fruitstands latest casualty)...St. Martins has been revamped with a beautiful fountain in the front hall as you go in.. Bull Ring was fab. New St. & Broad St all good. I really really felt after the 6 months in 2000 I was settling in and would have no problem in adjusting once all the items I needed were found. some TV watchable but radio was cracking!
Crowds were a bit of a problem for me...people everywhere..
I am going back but want to try south coast as others have done or trying to do...reason for this is less people, scenery, want to be near the sea and warmer winters...very long cold winters in Mb Can here..snow comes in Oct and does not leave till April..cant see sitting in thru whole retirement doing this...wishing all the very best for the return!

I am working my passage around with a teaching English TESOL and hoping to tour from Asia, Australia, across mainland back to UK
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Actually, I moved out of Birmingham effectively when I went to College in 1976.

However, as I am considering moving back there I have spent a number of holidays there, including a 2 week period this summer and last Easter. Whilst there this Easter and Summer I looked around areas to live (Bournville - where I went to school, plus areas on the southern fringe - Wythall, Hollywood, Alvechurch) many of which, though expensive were really nice.

Compared to the 70's I find the city centre vibrant and much more culturally satisfying (and cleaner!) than when I literally lived in the centre between '72 and '76. We stayed in the Travelodge on Broad Street (bargain!) right in the centre of things and had a great time.

I also did a 'historical/cultural trail' and found it most rewarding and interesting.

I realise it is a big behemoth of a place with some less than nice places to live and visit, but on thw whole I was encouraged.

What is it you were so shocked about when you went back there?
Hi Victor

You have certainly kept up to date and know the better places, Solihull is still nice too. As you say there are some less than nice places to live. I wasn't sure how long it was since you'd been back to visit. We're still undecided where to go. There are some very nice villages on the outskirts of Leicestershire and Northamptonshire that might be more affordable for us.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 12:08 pm
Pamela 1

Relocateme,. You are right about warmer winters in the south. When UK had snow in February last we had no more than an inch which was gone by lunchtime, though it did hang around a bit in surrounding areas, but we kept hearing that it was the first time in 9 years since they saw snow and first time for years that they saw snow on the Purbecks.

The rest of UK were snow clogged for about 2 weeks while we in the south were for most part in the clear.

So many people retire to that area because it is warmer. Certainly warmer than Ontario!
Old Oct 8th 2009, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relocateme
I am going back but want to try south coast as others have done or trying to do...reason for this is less people, scenery, want to be near the sea and warmer winters...very long cold winters in Mb Can here..snow comes in Oct and does not leave till April..cant see sitting in thru whole retirement doing this...wishing all the very best for the return!
There are some outstanding areas along the Dorset - Cornwall coast. Some of the most beautiful scenery in the world, IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.