Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the uk with our Dog

Moving back to the uk with our Dog

Old Jan 25th 2010, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

leeds_sparky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to the uk with our Dog

We are looking to move back in June time, but we have concerns about who to fly the dog with, When we came over we came with air Canada and really didnt like how the dog was handled, and for a 7 hour flight they had the dog for around 11-12 hours which is just plain rediculous, we were thinking of me flying over before and getting my wife to go on a differant airline thats good with pets or simply her sending our dog and me been there to recieve her.
Money is a issue but well shes family
so any help or companies you have used would be great.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:13 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the uk with our Dog

Originally Posted by leeds_sparky
We are looking to move back in June time, but we have concerns about who to fly the dog with, When we came over we came with air Canada and really didnt like how the dog was handled, and for a 7 hour flight they had the dog for around 11-12 hours which is just plain rediculous, we were thinking of me flying over before and getting my wife to go on a differant airline thats good with pets or simply her sending our dog and me been there to recieve her.
BA were great with Suzy and I have heard Virgin are also good. However, depending where you are flying from/to, you may have little choice (as there are certain DEFRA-approved airlines for certain routes).

Also, if the flight is 7 hours, it's pretty usual for the dog to be out of your sight/control for 11-12 hours, due to checking them in 2-3 hrs before take-off, and then having them clear animal control and customs at the other end (I think we were waiting at the LHR Animal Centre for over 3 hrs). So that part's not Air Canada's fault - every airline will be about the same.

p.s. I'm assuming you are talking about Canada to UK, and that you are using the PETS scheme? Your location is showing as leeds ... slightly confusing.

Last edited by dunroving; Jan 25th 2010 at 6:15 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Yes going from Canada to uk.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 8:28 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Yes going from Canada to uk.
I'll be doing this too in the summer (house sale allowing) so any info I find I'll pass on to you. I'm just getting her shots done in the next week or so. As you say costly but family! My three year old would be traumatised without her.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

stllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nice

We are planning to get our 2 dogs over at the end of April, flying from Atlanta GA to LHR. Just figuring it all out at the mo...looks like it will be BA. Will keep you posted. James Cargo (Pet Handlers) are an option but if I am reading my Email right it appears that they only handle the LHR leg of the process...awaiting a reply on that. Does anyone else know?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Patzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nice

Originally Posted by stllurnin48
We are planning to get our 2 dogs over at the end of April, flying from Atlanta GA to LHR. Just figuring it all out at the mo...looks like it will be BA. Will keep you posted. James Cargo (Pet Handlers) are an option but if I am reading my Email right it appears that they only handle the LHR leg of the process...awaiting a reply on that. Does anyone else know?
They are the Customs Clearance Agents for various airlines including BA at Heathrow and deal with all the paperwork etc. Their office is located inside the Animal Reception Centre. You can read about it here:

http://www.jamescargo.com/livestock_...rt/PTS_FAQ.htm
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

somebody mentioned they came over on QE2 and had their dog on board. think said it was reasonably priced. im considering that option if we decide to move back to UK for good or for an extended period..
Old Jan 26th 2010, 4:40 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fulwood
somebody mentioned they came over on QE2 and had their dog on board. think said it was reasonably priced. im considering that option if we decide to move back to UK for good or for an extended period..
Book early if you're taking the dog as the places are apparently very limited but what a brilliant way to do it if you can!!!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

Thought the qe2 was a ferry?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:53 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
That was Calle - search for her posts back around early 2006 - but as said, you need to book early. Someone posted on here recently that they had no spaces for the next 6 months.

If you have a family and lots of luggage, the QM2 can actually be cheaper than flying, if you get the right deal.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:17 am
Ping-ponger

Thought the qe2 was a ferry?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QE2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QM2
Old Jan 26th 2010, 4:26 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it was me and I would definitely recommend it!!. You do have to book early as they fill up. Flat rate for dogs-500 dollars, for cats-300 dollars. They feed them or you can supply food. Its up to you. Plenty big kennels give them loads of room and you can visit whenever. They have an area for walkies and the bloke that stays with them (Robinson) is fantastic and spoils them in a good way. You can also ring the kennel whenever and check on them. According to the website its really expensive, but we rang them and they put hubby, daughter, son and I in a quad cabin (which was roomy and very posh) for cheaper than we could fly. They were fantastic and will work with you. You are allowed as much baggage as you can fit in your cabin. The food and entertainment are a treat as well. Really lovely posh holiday at the same time.... so lovely!!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

from where in Canada?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Hamilton, Ontario.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Hamilton, Ontario.
try these folk

http://www.petflightinc.com/home.htm

don't know anything about them -just googled it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.