Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK, need advice on passport/visas!

Moving back to the UK, need advice on passport/visas!

Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

shak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to the UK, need advice on passport/visas!

I'm looking for some advice since I'm considering a short term move back to the UK.

A little background, I'm 29, I became a naturalized US citizen about a year ago and I still have my British passport. I've been living in the US since I was a child but have always gone back to the UK just about every year....I just took a trip back to the UK 2 weeks ago and now I'm thinking about moving back there, though I'm not sure for how long yet, but at least 6 months...

When I go, do I need a visa? Should I enter the UK with my UK passport or my US passport? I've been told I can leave the country with my US passport and enter the UK with my British one and vise-versa, but I'm not sure how true that is since I thought you had to enter and leave the country with the same passport. Is that correct?
Do I need a visa to work there and how long does it take to be considered a restident again? Am I entitled to any healthcare while I'm there?

I have a ton of questions...but those will do for now

Thanks very much.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:55 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving back to the UK, need advice on passport/visas!

Originally Posted by shak
I'm looking for some advice since I'm considering a short term move back to the UK.

A little background, I'm 29, I became a naturalized US citizen about a year ago and I still have my British passport. I've been living in the US since I was a child but have always gone back to the UK just about every year....I just took a trip back to the UK 2 weeks ago and now I'm thinking about moving back there, though I'm not sure for how long yet, but at least 6 months...

When I go, do I need a visa? Should I enter the UK with my UK passport or my US passport? I've been told I can leave the country with my US passport and enter the UK with my British one and vise-versa, but I'm not sure how true that is since I thought you had to enter and leave the country with the same passport. Is that correct?
Do I need a visa to work there and how long does it take to be considered a restident again? Am I entitled to any healthcare while I'm there?

I have a ton of questions...but those will do for now

Thanks very much.
You have a UK passport - you have no need for a visa. If you intend to reside in the UK then use that passport to enter the country.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
You have a UK passport - you have no need for a visa. If you intend to reside in the UK then use that passport to enter the country.
Thanks. That's good to know. So it's fine when I re-enter the US that I use my US passport? Just want to be sure.
Anyone have any ideas about my other questions?
Old Sep 10th 2009, 7:43 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. That's good to know. So it's fine when I re-enter the US that I use my US passport? Just want to be sure.
Anyone have any ideas about my other questions?
Yes, I enter UK on UK passport and US on US passport. No problems.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Yes, I enter UK on UK passport and US on US passport. No problems.
Thank you!
Old Sep 11th 2009, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the responses so far...

So anyone have any idea on how long it takes to be considered a resident again? And once I'm a resident is that when I'm eligible for healthcare, etc?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

So anyone have any idea on how long it takes to be considered a resident again? And once I'm a resident is that when I'm eligible for healthcare, etc?
You become a resident as soon as you move back with an intention to remain.

There is a three year waiting period for domestic university tuition fees, healthcare is available immediately. As soon as you are resident, you're also liable to British tax (don't forget to keep filing US tax).
Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
You become a resident as soon as you move back with an intention to remain.

There is a three year waiting period for domestic university tuition fees, healthcare is available immediately. As soon as you are resident, you're also liable to British tax (don't forget to keep filing US tax).
Thanks, good to know healthcare is available immediately, though I do need to show some proof of address right? As I'm not registered with any doctors office...
When I move back I'm going to be living with my SO, I can't think of what mail I'd have in my name...so that's something else I'll have to work out.

Thanks for the note about the tax thing, that's something else I didn't think about. I'm still not sure if this move will be permanent, but it should be for at least a year...
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:56 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, good to know healthcare is available immediately, though I do need to show some proof of address right? As I'm not registered with any doctors office...
When I move back I'm going to be living with my SO, I can't think of what mail I'd have in my name...so that's something else I'll have to work out.

Thanks for the note about the tax thing, that's something else I didn't think about. I'm still not sure if this move will be permanent, but it should be for at least a year...
I've never had to show any proof of address at any doctor's I've registered at. Banks and libraries - now they're a different matter!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

I've never had to show any proof of address at any doctor's I've registered at. Banks and libraries - now they're a different matter!
How did you register and what do you have to show? I'm not sure about the process.
A few years back I went to my old doc's office from when I was a child and I'm sure they said I had to show proof of address(like a bill or something).
Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:16 pm
Former Blonde

How did you register and what do you have to show? I'm not sure about the process.
A few years back I went to my old doc's office from when I was a child and I'm sure they said I had to show proof of address(like a bill or something).
I didn't show anything only filled in the forms which I was given. Even my American husband wasn't required to show a single piece of paper. We just rocked up at the doc's and said we wanted to register. Simple.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

I didn't show anything only filled in the forms which I was given. Even my American husband wasn't required to show a single piece of paper. We just rocked up at the doc's and said we wanted to register. Simple.
wow, good deal. I'll be trying a different office when I go back anyway, we'll see what happens.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

I'm back with a few more questions

Back to the passport thing...I think I'm just paranoid for some reason...!

Now when I book my ticket at the time of my move back to the UK, I'm gonna do it online like usual, so I have to enter in my passport info. This should be my US passport right, because that's what I'll be showing when I check in?
So when I arrive in London, I'll show my UK passport because that's where I plan on residing...? Now, when it's time to come back to the US on holiday, I would enter my UK passport info online when booking the ticket(because again that's what I'll be using to check in at the airport) then when I arrive to the US, I will show my US passport to immigration...is that correct? I guess my worry is that when you come back in the US from out of the country and they don't see anything stamped in your passport, is that fine? Do they ever question about where you've been?

And would this process be any different while I'm living in the UK and come back to the US for a holiday? Would I book my ticket the same way?

I hope all that makes sense...and thanks in advance for any responses. I just want to make sure I get this right...
Old Oct 6th 2009, 8:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Yes i booked our tickets this summer using everyones American passports, then when we arrived we went through the EU line with our British passports, no problems.
I'm not sure about the booking tickets to come back to US to visit I haven't done that part, I suppose it would be the same, start out with UK passports, enter and leave the US on US passports, enter UK on UK passports.
Good question

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Oct 6th 2009 at 8:57 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Yes i booked our tickets this summer using everyones American passports, then when we arrived we went through the EU line with our British passports, no problems.
Thanks. Have you been back to the US yet? If so, when you came back to the US using your US passports going through immigration, was there any issue?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.