Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK. How to manage it.

Moving back to UK. How to manage it.

Old Jan 17th 2020, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Louise_Col is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to UK. How to manage it.

Originally Posted by Britishbitz
Hi there,

Regarding renting the work around is to pay in advance, they do make exceptions for new arrivals, not everything is black and white It will depend on the agent/landlord some people have only had to pay the standard 1 months rent + deposit etc, others have had to pay 3-6 months in advance. So don't worry about that, of course you will need to book temporary accommodation to stay in while viewing and applying for a home. If there is a lot of rental availability in the area/s you are looking to move too, it shouldn't take any more than 2 weeks, and if you can of course get references, If renting from your Property manager, if not then a character reference. You may not even need these but good to have just in case.

Myself and my family and doing this in Feb, we will be starting cheap as will be living off savings until work is secured, once we have our feet in the door we can look at other options. I do want to purchase eventually, so I definitely don't want my savings blown. Some landlords do accept pets, cats and dogs, some specify cats only etc. Zoopla and Open Rent both have pet friendly filters. Rightmove appears to not have one.

As for work, it's one of those some do, some don't scenarios some people have managed to secure work via a Skype interview for example, some recruiters etc won't even look at you until you're in the UK. No harm in trying, which is what I am doing right now. I would feel a lot less stressed knowing I had a job to go to, but if not, well I know I have enough savings to get me by until back and hopefully get work asap. I don't know if you are working now? or whom for if you are, but if they have a base in the UK? You could request a transfer?
We’ll be interested in your progress as it seems we are doing the same thing. I guess there will be a great movement of people back and forth. Such a shame.
We are still applying for rental accommodation but again difficult from here. One of the reasons I found out yesterday is this Right to Rent rule that estate agents have to comply with. ( in my opinion making them unofficial immigration officers!) but anyway it seems we have to be there on the spot with our passports. There seems no way around laying out huge amounts of our savings which like you we were hoping to put towards buying somewhere.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

HI - Re the riight to rent check- I just checked with one of my agent contacts and, as I thought,, you can scan and email your passports first to the agent, as long as agnet/landlord have sight of the original passports before yhand over the keys- this is done all the time for applicants booking from abroad. As you are British it should be even easier.

Another option which I forgot to mention before. Use spareroom.co.uk for one of you to rent a room ( not whole flat which are also advertised) cheaply, locally for a couple of weeks or a monhth- usually bills are included and its much cheaper than airbnb/short lets, then one of you is on the spot for viewing longer term rentals and sorting out rental paperwork- there are people who are ok with you staying a month or have flexible noticeof leaving. Often no need to send a deposit,just contact the landlord /owner and get a date. Its good to prepare a info statemnet about your self to send as enquiry fist.

re the cats- catsprotection uk ( cats.org.) has been running a campaign to reassure and inform landlords about cats-including clauses to add to a contract. that will satisfy both sides.

https://www.cats.org.uk/what-we-do/c...rfectlandlords
Old Jan 17th 2020, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Britishbitz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by angie_329
HI - Re the riight to rent check- I just checked with one of my agent contacts and, as I thought,, you can scan and email your passports first to the agent, as long as agnet/landlord have sight of the original passports before yhand over the keys- this is done all the time for applicants booking from abroad. As you are British it should be even easier.
Interesting, literally every agent I have emailed has said you oh no you need a job (well obviously eventually, yeah that's the plan!), a bank account (I have an aussie acc until I can get a UK one, last time I checked doesn't matter where the damn money comes from?), this that and that and the other to rent (face palm), despite me stating that I was born there, I'm a citizen, have a PP etc. Sigh. I know from speaking to people, here on forums etc that new arrivals can rent via paying up front as long as they have the right to live in the UK. So I guess the people I am emailing are either not reading my emails properly? or just being you know whats? Which is Why I gave up and will just go in there when I arrive. *bang head*

Last edited by Britishbitz; Jan 17th 2020 at 8:04 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britishbitz
Interesting, literally every agent I have emailed has said you oh no you need a job (well obviously eventually, yeah that's the plan!), a bank account (I have an aussie acc until I can get a UK one, last time I checked doesn't matter where the damn money comes from?), this that and that and the other to rent (face palm), despite me stating that I was born there, I'm a citizen, have a PP etc. Sigh. I know from speaking to people, here on forums etc that new arrivals can rent via paying up front as long as they have the right to live in the UK. So I guess the people I am emailing are either not reading my emails properly? or just being you know whats? Which is Why I gave up and will just go in there when I arrive. *bang head*
The right to rent law is often applied wrongly. With no credit check you may need to pay rent up to the first break clause, like overseas students do, however many landlords outside London are flexible and take a viiew. On the applicant having UK Bank account, no, you can send a deposit and first month's or more rent by electronic funds transfer from elsewhere. I dealt with so many people coming from abroad in my work in relocation and this is all possible. However phoning and speaking to a lettings manager is better than emailing. You could complain to ARLA! Association of Residential Lettings Agents.

What area/ county are you looking at? As a stop gap on arrival getting a room on spareroom.co.uk is an option, gives you time to view properties and meet landlords. if you rent now get a reference to bring with.

Old Jan 17th 2020, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by angie_329
The right to rent law is often applied wrongly. With no credit check you may need to pay rent up to the first break clause, like overseas students do, however many landlords outside London are flexible and take a viiew. On the applicant having UK Bank account, no, you can send a deposit and first month's or more rent by electronic funds transfer from elsewhere. I dealt with so many people coming from abroad in my work in relocation and this is all possible. However phoning and speaking to a lettings manager is better than emailing. You could complain to ARLA! Association of Residential Lettings Agents.

What area/ county are you looking at? As a stop gap on arrival getting a room on spareroom.co.uk is an option, gives you time to view properties and meet landlords. if you rent now get a reference to bring with.

I am moving with my two children and my mum, so a spare room wouldn't be an option, I shall try calling a few agents, see what comes of it a bit closer, we are not flying over til 19th Feb. I will have a reference and my rental payment history with me, I have all my important documents etc on USB as well as back up in the cloud. We sort of have areas in mind based on research here and online etc, but will make up our minds once we drive around and check out said areas. I have no issue staying in temp accomodation, just royally cheesed off with the what seems to be a copy and paste response from agents. But we'll get there
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Britishbitz

I doubt if I would ever get there. When things get complicated, as in estate agents requiring loads of paper work, big sums and proofs, I start backing away. May be France is less complex? Seems that may be true for us.
If we can figure out our tax return and get it in this year we may stay here in the land of the crêpe.

Best wishes to you both, it will be nice for you all to have family close by again I'm sure.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 3:49 am
Just Joined

Louise_Col is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all your advice. Hope it has been useful for others in the same position as well.
We have a result. Maybe the universe turned in our favor but we managed to find a house to rent direct from a landlord. So just basic admin, no agents putting us in a pot with a lot of other prospective tenants. Such a relief. We took the advice of another poster in this thread. Found a house with a reasonable rent. Paid a deposit and rent in advance. All turned out fine. So now we have a roof over our heads and just need basic furniture until we get ours over there.
Joined Freecycle and got a bed settee for free. Picking it up when we arrive.
We are going before the Brexit deadline as port authorities still unsure if the pet passports regulations stay the same after Brexit. More than likely they will remain the same but we would rather not chance it.
I can post again with our next steps as we apply for bank accounts and work! Again using the good advice here.
Thanks again everyone.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

! Congratulations! and Bon Chance on the details!
Old Jan 25th 2020, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Louise_Col
Thank you for all your advice. Hope it has been useful for others in the same position as well.
We have a result. Maybe the universe turned in our favor but we managed to find a house to rent direct from a landlord. So just basic admin, no agents putting us in a pot with a lot of other prospective tenants. Such a relief. We took the advice of another poster in this thread. Found a house with a reasonable rent. Paid a deposit and rent in advance. All turned out fine. So now we have a roof over our heads and just need basic furniture until we get ours over there.
Joined Freecycle and got a bed settee for free. Picking it up when we arrive.
We are going before the Brexit deadline as port authorities still unsure if the pet passports regulations stay the same after Brexit. More than likely they will remain the same but we would rather not chance it.
I can post again with our next steps as we apply for bank accounts and work! Again using the good advice here.
Thanks again everyone.
Congratulations!

How exciting Can I ask where you looked to find your property? You can PM if you wish. Good luck with your move