Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK. How to manage it.

Moving back to UK. How to manage it.

Old Jan 6th 2020, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK. How to manage it.

Originally Posted by Louise_Col

Thank you for this information. It might be the solution as I have been calling around agents this morning but most now just redirect you to websites like Zoopla etc so after many hours searching beginning to lose the will to live! But I hadn’t considered a relocation expert. We do have family in U.K. who could check places on our behalf, so that is an option.
We’ll check our NI contributions too so thank you for that link.
Yes some agents are often hopeless if you are not there! Once you have an idea of area I can help you find someone suitable on the ARP site.

Do think about areas, you mentioned you have an elderly Mum, so you probably need to be somewhere with easy access to her. Is your Mum in her own home? You could potentially get on the electoral role there and council tax, which you would have to pay a bit extra if she is on sole discount. That way you can build up your presence as a UK resident for a future mortgage once your French home is sold. Did you live near her before? You can probably still get back on GP list and even approach the bank you had before you left the UK.

There is generally more work/ jobs in SE than the North which you mentioned as cheaper for rental.

Possibly if cash is short for rentals find out how long realistically it will take to sell your French home from a couple of good agents?

It's easier to sell something when you are there keeping it looking nice etc. as well as mainting and doing paperwork. You need to check if there is any tax issue if you sell as a resident in France versus having left and being resident in UK again.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

Would it be an option for you to start up in business as sole traders or business partners in the UK rather than looking for employment as an actual employee....? If possible that option could be a possible and immediate workaround for any employment status issues which might arise when filling out official forms for bank accounts or whatever as all you would have to do is declare yourself as self employed to HMRC. It might also give you eligibility to claim working tax credit. Although finding a place to live would still have to come first.

As some above have stated if you pay for a 6 month or yearly rental contract up front there should be no need to provide any kind of reference - I did this myself some years ago with no problem after a spell abroad.

Personally, and if it was me I'd prefer to do all the house hunting legwork myself and cut out any middle men such as the type of relocation agencies mentioned above. If you're able it's not such a hardship to spend a day or so hoofing around whichever town you choose to relocate to visiting estate agencies to find a rental and it could save you quite a lot of cash which you would otherwise have to hand over to the middle man in finders fees and such like. You'd also save yourself the frustration of unanswered emails, unreturned phone calls, redirections to Zoopla and such because they're too busy looking at Twitter or Facebook to bother with you if you did it that way. If you're sitting there right in front of them in their office they can't really ignore you can they..

Regarding your cats, I shouldn't think there would be any problem provided all their documents and vaccinations are up to date, at least for the duration of the transition period.

Good luck.

Last edited by Jake.White; Jan 7th 2020 at 9:03 am.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 9:17 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rent short term (holiday) accommodation for a month or two in the area you're looking to settle in, and look for a rental property yourselves.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 10:29 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angie_329

Is HSBC in France? they are good for opening accounts in other countries before you move. In any case take printed copies of Franch statements showing address in France to UK , the address thing is also about tracking for anti money laundering purposes. you could perhaps then use a relative's adress to start with if you have not got the permanent accommodation yet.
Yes they are. we have an account here as well as in the UK (and Canada). The branches are scarce on the ground but it's easy to do everything on line, including Global Transfer for moving funds around.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Louise_Col is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for such good advice everyone!
My Mum is in a retirement home now and the area quite expensive for rental property and even though we put filters in for pets allowed house come up as ‘no pets no children’! You can’t believe it. I understand the no pets to a degree but to market a family home with no children as a criteria!

And yes staying until this house sells could be an option. Hopefully, the transition period of Brexit will give us some breathing space regarding our 2 cats.

The idea of a business start-up is something we hadn’t considered but makes sense to employ ourselves! I’ll have a look at business ideas. I suppose franchise is one way. We hope to sell the French property to enable us to start again. But it is not a chateau
Old Jan 7th 2020, 10:55 am
Just Joined

Hold the front page 😊
An agent just got back to me with a reasonably priced rental in the area we want that will accept our 2 Pusscats!
I will keep you informed. We might be booking the ferry after all!
Old Jan 8th 2020, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Britishbitz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hold the front page 😊
An agent just got back to me with a reasonably priced rental in the area we want that will accept our 2 Pusscats!
Sounds promising, good luck
Old Jan 8th 2020, 10:45 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hold the front page 😊
Sometimes things work out perfectly!
Old Jan 14th 2020, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Ah well....
just to update.... the flat looked over the main train line to London and backed onto the main road to the town with no parking anywhere all double yellow lines ... so back to the search and ideas of how to manage a move back to the U.K.
it is getting quite depressing.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 8:38 am
Concierge

Ah well....b
just to update.... the flat looked over the main train line to London and backed onto the main road to the town with no parking anywhere all double yellow lines ... so back to the search and ideas of how to manage a move back to the U.K.
it is getting quite depressing.
I'd still go the short term/holiday accommodation route. Re bank accounts, have you had a look at the 'challenger' banks? According to the below article, you can open one of these with proof of ID and a UK address, but don't (usually) need proof of address, so one of your family members' addresses or even your holiday accommodation address would do. When you're settled and sorted you could open a more traditional account if wanted.

You can read more about challenger banks like the ones above in our in depth article, but basically a challenger bank is a recently born bank. They try to make banking easier and cheaper for customers, thus “challenging” the market dominance of traditional banks such as Lloyds, Barclays and HSBC.
  • Challengers are digital and mobile only.
  • They don’t have any physical branches and you do everything from an app.
  • Challenger banks are free
  • You’ll get a UK bank account complete with account number and sort code, which allows you to have your salary paid into it.
The most popular challenger banks in the UK are Starling and Monzo, both of which have a full UK banking licence. Your money with them will be protected up to £85,000 by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS), just like with any traditional bank.
https://www.finder.com/uk/opening-a-...oof-of-address

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Jan 14th 2020 at 8:41 am.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the bank account advice. We’ve looked at the Starling bank and might go with that one once we’ve got an address to give them.

We’ve looked at the Airbnb route but not many accept pets ( we have 2 cats). One an elderly cat who just sleeps and eats. We’ve also considered mobile homes.

We have friends looking out for houses too.

Old Jan 14th 2020, 2:44 pm
Concierge

Thank you for the bank account advice. We’ve looked at the Starling bank and might go with that one once we’ve got an address to give them.

We’ve looked at the Airbnb route but not many accept pets ( we have 2 cats). One an elderly cat who just sleeps and eats. We’ve also considered mobile homes.

You may already know this, but towards the top of your Airbnb page, where you enter what type of stay etc, there's a button 'more filters'. If you click on that and scroll down to 'house rules' you can check the box that says allows pets, that way you'll only get those results in your search.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to wish you best of luck and ask you to keep us updated on your progress.

We’ve been in France for 22 years and are planning to return to the UK in another few years when I retire.
The family is in N Ireland so we’ll start off there. The plan is to sell up in France and hand in my notice once we’ve signed the acte de vente, ie actually completed the sale. Our stuff would be sent to the UK and put in storage and initially we’d stay in an Air b’nb while we look around for a rental. We would also like to buy a small campervan and spend some time exploring the UK and deciding where to settle long term. Although I suspect it will be somewhere near the beach in Co. Down. Four hours’ drive on uncongested roads to Rosslare for the overnight ferry to France where we will no doubt spend a few months a year.

As someone has already pointed out, don’t forget that the house in France must be your primary residence when you sell. Otherwise you’ll be liable to CGT (if that’s an issue).

Good luck!
Old Jan 15th 2020, 11:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You may already know this, but towards the top of your Airbnb page, where you enter what type of stay etc, there's a button 'more filters'. If you click on that and scroll down to 'house rules' you can check the box that says allows pets, that way you'll only get those results in your search.
thank you. I didn’t know that actually ! I’ll have a look.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Helen1964
I just wanted to wish you best of luck and ask you to keep us updated on your progress.

We’ve been in France for 22 years and are planning to return to the UK in another few years when I retire.
The family is in N Ireland so we’ll start off there. The plan is to sell up in France and hand in my notice once we’ve signed the acte de vente, ie actually completed the sale. Our stuff would be sent to the UK and put in storage and initially we’d stay in an Air b’nb while we look around for a rental. We would also like to buy a small campervan and spend some time exploring the UK and deciding where to settle long term. Although I suspect it will be somewhere near the beach in Co. Down. Four hours’ drive on uncongested roads to Rosslare for the overnight ferry to France where we will no doubt spend a few months a year.

As someone has already pointed out, don’t forget that the house in France must be your primary residence when you sell. Otherwise you’ll be liable to CGT (if that’s an issue).

Good luck!
Thank you for the CGT advice.
We are hoping to go sooner. Mainly because my mother is elderly but we also need access to areas to pick up work as not retirement age yet. So a lot to consider. Thank you for your reply and wishing you all the best for when you decide to return.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.