Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK...get a one way to or a return?

Wikiposts

Moving back to UK...get a one way to or a return?

Old May 16th 2011, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

shak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK...get a one way to or a return?

(that should say one way Ticket or a return!)

So I've finally decided I'm heading back to the London in August(plan on staying for a few years at least).
I called Virgin today regarding ticket prices and the lady I spoke to let me know I can only get a one way ticket if I hold a British passport. Which is fine, I do have one but I don't know why I never considered the fact that I can't buy a one way ticket traveling on my US passport(yea I know, silly).

So my question is, is it best to buy a roundtrip ticket, leave the US on my US passport, but once I arrive enter the UK with my UK passport? Or...just leave using my UK passport and of course just enter using that as well? The lady suggested the roundtrip option because I was concerned about leaving with my UK passport...not sure how that works really. Will they question me about going back with a UK passport, seeing as the last time I got it stamped for re-entering the US was about 3 years ago when I came back using my greencard. I've only ever traveled using my UK passport along with my greencard, so I'm just unsure as to how that works...so excuse my ignorance...

Also, if it makes any difference I haven't lived in the UK for over 20 years, got my US passport about 3 years ago and I still have my valid UK passport.

Last edited by shak; May 16th 2011 at 6:24 am. Reason: error
Old May 16th 2011, 8:31 am
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice
Default Re: Moving back to UK...get a one way to or a return?

From my experiences living in the UK with my friend who holds a Canadian & UK Passport, you should always enter the UK with your UK passport. Otherwise, immigration assumes you have no status in the UK and you will have to prove that you have a valid visa or will be leaving the UK within 6 months.

The airline cares because if you are sent back from the UK they will be charged a fine (maybe 5000 pounds?). All the airline cares is that you have a UK passport on a one way ticket, you can show them both passports all they do is look at them.

So, book a one way ticket. Leave the US on your US passport. Show the airline that you have both passports, even though you are leaving on US passport. Give UK immigration your UK passport.
Old May 16th 2011, 10:55 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

And if you are going to be applying for any benefits for which "Habitual Residency" is an aspect, convincing a social security official you are now resident in the UK might be problematic with a return ticket.
Old May 16th 2011, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the responses! Makes sense. I didn't take into consideration the applying for benefits factor.

I am gonna call the airline back and make sure I have it clear with them, just to save confusion when I check in
Old May 16th 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Barbara1133 is on a distinguished road

I'm moving back to the UK in August. I bought a one-way on Air New Zealand online. I haven't heard anything about this being a problem. I would guess you exit the US with your US passport, and enter the UK on your UK passport. Although when I've flown Air NZ to London they have checked me through to London using my UK passport, although I show my US one as I'm going through US security.

Life is complicated!
Old May 16th 2011, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

The person I spoke to stressed the fact that I can only buy a one way ticket if I have a UK passport(she asked me about 3 times if I have one...!)... I believe she said I would have to show my UK passport at the airport because they wouldn't allow me to leave on a one way ticket with a US passport, I suppose because a visa would be needed?

Exiting on my US passport w/ a one way ticket is the issue... so I guess if I just check in with my UK passport that will be fine?
My confusion was more that if I show up at the airport with my UK passport will they question how long I've been here or something like that... I dunno, maybe I'm over thinking this
Old May 16th 2011, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Barbara1133 is on a distinguished road

I think you'll be fine with showing your UK passport. I haven't been asked in years if I've had a return ticket, and as I always buy my tickets online I usually don't speak to any agents. I would guess you could run into trouble at UK immigration if you don't have a UK passport and they ask why you only have a one-way ticket. I'm sure you'll be okay. With a UK/EU passport you only show your passport when you enter the UK. You'll be okay.
Old May 17th 2011, 12:59 am
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice

Originally Posted by shak
The person I spoke to stressed the fact that I can only buy a one way ticket if I have a UK passport(she asked me about 3 times if I have one...!)... I believe she said I would have to show my UK passport at the airport because they wouldn't allow me to leave on a one way ticket with a US passport, I suppose because a visa would be needed?

Exiting on my US passport w/ a one way ticket is the issue... so I guess if I just check in with my UK passport that will be fine?
My confusion was more that if I show up at the airport with my UK passport will they question how long I've been here or something like that... I dunno, maybe I'm over thinking this
The airline representatives are stressing that you require a UK passport on a one way ticket because if you don't have one the UK government will fine them a hefty sum.

US Immigration doesn't care what passport you use, so you are able to use your US passport when leaving the US. The airline only wants to see your UK passport so they know that you won't be turned away upon reaching the UK. UK immigration will want to see your UK passport to know that you are a UK citizen.

You are over thinking it, book your one way ticket. Carry both your passports and you will be fine.
Old May 17th 2011, 2:39 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

On my last trip to Canada (where I fully expected to remain and did) while sponsorship/PR application was underway, to avoid potential problems with immigration, I did have a return ticket.

But the best deal I could get for the dates I needed involved flying from the UK with one airline and booking the return (that I intented never to use).

Checking in at the UK airport I only presented my one way ticket. It wasn't a problem.

At immigration, I only presented the ticket I used. I wasn't asked to show the return ticket.

That's not to say it happens all the time though.
Old May 17th 2011, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone! I'll just book my one way ticket and carry both passports with me
I know it won't be any trouble for me to enter the UK, I was mainly concerned with the leaving part.
I appreciate the responses, they were helpful...I overthink everything!

Last edited by shak; May 17th 2011 at 3:20 am. Reason: .
Old May 18th 2011, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

Ok...2nd part to the question.

I actually bought my one way ticket last night! I'm heading out August 3rd... my UK passport expires Aug 11th, is it best to get it renewed before I go or when I get there? Can I even travel with it so close to the date it's going to expire?
My plan was to just renew it before I go, but I went online to print out the passport renewal form yesterday, I noticed it's more to renew it over here than in the UK(if I'm calculating correctly about $100 more here), so I was thinking maybe I should just do it once I get back.

Just curious, if I can save some cash by renewing it once I get back that would be great, but if not, no big deal.