Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK with four kids and practically no money.

Moving back to the UK with four kids and practically no money.

Old May 7th 2016, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Fishtravels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to the UK with four kids and practically no money.

Hi.

I am a singel mother with four kids. I recently escaped from an abusive marriage and now I am barely surviving on the lowest of benefits in a small house in Norway with my four young children. I want to go home to England where my mother lives. But I have no money to buy a house, no job and no home to go to.

I don't know anyone in Norway, I have no family or friends. I just want to go home.

I need a place to live until I can sort out paperwork, look for a job and open a bank account. And I need money for rent and to feed my children.

I don't know where to start. Does anyone have any idea or experience with my kind of situation?

I am desperate.
Old May 7th 2016, 12:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK with four kids and practically no money.

Do your children have valid British/Norwegian passports/ID cards and do you have the legal right to remove them from Norway? If not then it's a non-starter.
Old May 7th 2016, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Fishtravels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Do your children have valid British/Norwegian passports/ID cards and do you have the legal right to remove them from Norway? If not then it's a non-starter.
Yes the children have valid passports and I have sole custody of them as well.
Old May 7th 2016, 8:15 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

You should start by getting legal advice on your right to remove the children from the country.

Assuming you are able to legally remove the children to the UK, the next question is what support can you get from your mother and other UK friends and relatives?

You won't get benefits in the UK for 3 months (other than NHS care, which you'll get immediately), but you may get some help from Social Services.
Old May 8th 2016, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...esidence-test/

Have a thorough read through before making any hasty decisions. Good luck.
Old May 8th 2016, 5:53 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Since you are escaping an abusive relationship, it might be a good idea to get some advice from Women's Aid.. They should be able to advise about what to expect from social services, on housing, etc. The number on the site is 0800, and I don't think you can ring 0800 numbers from abroad; so send them an email.
Old May 8th 2016, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fishtravels
Yes the children have valid passports and I have sole custody of them as well.
Sole custody does not necessarily mean you can remove them from the country at will. You might just have to look into that a bit deeper.

Can your mum help and put you up when you get back?
Old May 8th 2016, 6:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
The number on the site is 0800, and I don't think you can ring 0800 numbers from abroad; so send them an email.
It might work. I know I occasionally activate a renewal bank card using that sort of number and they usually give a similar number to call from abroad. Not wanting to make it obvious I'm abroad I have dialled "into the UK" and then called the UK number.

Not sure if it was 0800, 0845 whatever, but if they are basically the same thing, it might work.

But up to 5 days to respond to an email might be okay.
Old May 8th 2016, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

I can't really offer advice I just wanted to say all the very best to you and your kids. There is not much worse in life than living with an abusive person and I really hope you're able to secure a new safe strong life for you and the kids, wherever it may be. I'm sure it's been a long bumpy road already so here's to smoother seas and peacecin the future. You can and will do it. X
Old May 10th 2016, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

You can call through Skype to any 0800 in the UK for free, just go to "call phones" under "Call" on the Skype menu, select UK as the country and type in the 0800 number you need to call.

I am a single mother as well and when I returned originally I was able to get child benefit, child tax credit as soon as I returned. You are a British citizen returning to live and are considered habitually resident along with your children from the day you arrive. If I were you I would try to stay with your Mother initially, register with a GP and school for your children to show your intent to reside in the UK and then apply to the council for housing. I'd also try local housing associations and charities that may be able to help with help for a rent deposit.

Ensure that you can leave the country with your children, reach out to family and friends in the UK and research support - there is help out there, it will be hard but with determination you can do it
Old May 10th 2016, 9:48 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

My apologies, the three month rule applies to Job Seeker's Allowance, but not other benefits, which rely on the habitual residence test. Bromleygirl is absolutely right.
Old May 10th 2016, 9:54 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The habitual residence test applies to claims for the following benefits:

Income Support
Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
Pension Credit
Housing Benefit
Council Tax Reduction
Universal Credit

The right to reside part of the test also applies to Child Tax Credits and Child Benefit, but you don't have to show you are habitually resident to claim these benefits. Instead you have to show that you are 'ordinarily resident'. If you have come to the UK since 1 July 2014 and you are not a worker or self-employed, for example, you are a jobseeker, you need to live in the UK for at least three months before you can claim Child Tax Credits or Child Benefit. However, this rule will not apply to you if you were previously ordinarily resident in the UK and have returned to the UK after an absence of less than one year.

You may need to seek advice if you want to claim Child Tax Credits or Child Benefit.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...esidence-test/
Old May 10th 2016, 9:59 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

From the Citizen's Advice Bureau site:

Rules that came into force on 1 January 2014 mean that, if you're claiming income-based jobseeker's allowance and do need to show that you are habitually resident, you cannot be viewed as habitually resident until you've been living in the UK or elsewhere in the common travel area for at least three months. This means that if you claim income-based jobseeker's allowance immediately on your return to the UK from outside this area you won't receive this benefit for at least three months
So there is a three month rule for income based JSA.
Old May 10th 2016, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

If one of her children are young enough (under 5) she will be able to claim income support and not be considered as looking for work. She should also be able to claim free school lunches as well. Everything helps when you are starting over with children as a single parent. To the original poster, you are very welcome to PM me.

Last edited by bromleygirl; May 10th 2016 at 10:21 pm.
Old May 14th 2016, 8:47 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Edit!!

from here: http://www.international-divorce.com/norway_family_law
9. When parents have joint custody, the consent of both parents is required before the child can move abroad (see section 40, first paragraph, second sentence, of the Children Act). When one of the parents has sole custody, he/she may generally move abroad without the consent of the other parent (see section 40, first paragraph, of the Children Act). If the other parent has initiated court proceedings regarding custody, the child must not move abroad before the matter has been decided (see section 40, second paragraph, of the Children Act).

Last edited by petitefrancaise; May 14th 2016 at 8:50 pm.