Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back in the UK - Financials

Moving back in the UK - Financials

Old Sep 21st 2022, 1:05 am
Just Joined

Harrison32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back in the UK - Financials

Cureently been in the US for 12 years on an E2 treaty investor visa and looking to head back home to the UK (citizen) within the next couple of years. Just seeing if there are any people who have been through a similar situation and what they recommend, advise or did with regards to their:

Stocks and shares
US bank accounts

Appreciate any of your help in advance.
Old Sep 21st 2022, 1:19 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back in the UK - Financials

You should check the Moving Back to the UK section of BE. There may be some relevant information for you there. Good luck!
Old Sep 21st 2022, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
You should check the Moving Back to the UK section of BE. There may be some relevant information for you there. Good luck!
+1

maybe a moderator would move this thread.
Old Sep 21st 2022, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harrison32
Cureently been in the US for 12 years on an E2 treaty investor visa and looking to head back home to the UK (citizen) within the next couple of years. Just seeing if there are any people who have been through a similar situation and what they recommend, advise or did with regards to their:

Stocks and shares
US bank accounts

Appreciate any of your help in advance.
In a similar position I did the following before moving back.

Rolled my 401k to an IRA at a US brokerage that supports overseas customers. (Non taxable event)

Converted my stocks and shares mutual funds to HMRC Reporting funds so they get the favorable tax treatment that dividends and capital gains get.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...eporting-funds

Set up a Wise account with a US bank routing and account number and linked it to my US brokerage account so that it is easy to move dividends, IRA withdrawals etc to the Wise account and then into my UK bank that is also linked to my Wise account.
Old Sep 22nd 2022, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

kateg60 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad
In a similar position I did the following before moving back.

Rolled my 401k to an IRA at a US brokerage that supports overseas customers. (Non taxable event)

Converted my stocks and shares mutual funds to HMRC Reporting funds so they get the favorable tax treatment that dividends and capital gains get.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...eporting-funds

Set up a Wise account with a US bank routing and account number and linked it to my US brokerage account so that it is easy to move dividends, IRA withdrawals etc to the Wise account and then into my UK bank that is also linked to my Wise account.
durham_lad is there some trick to using the spreadsheet from HMRC? Looking at the spreadsheet you linked I don't see the funds US listings and so cannot identify my stocks?
Old Sep 22nd 2022, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kateg60
durham_lad is there some trick to using the spreadsheet from HMRC? Looking at the spreadsheet you linked I don't see the funds US listings and so cannot identify my stocks?
No trick. I just tried opening it on my iPhone and it opens okay. It is a very large spreadsheet. All or most of Vanguard ETFs are listed which is what I have. There is another link below for alternative formats. I’ve not tried it as the spreadsheet works for me.
Old Sep 22nd 2022, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Russet has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond repute

I worked on the HMRC spreadsheet (it is very large) on the basis that if my US stocks were not listed (using ctrl find) then they are not HMRC reportable funds and would therefore not be favourably treated once we return. I worked to ensure my investments were moved to funds on the spreadsheet.
Old Sep 22nd 2022, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Russet
I worked on the HMRC spreadsheet (it is very large) on the basis that if my US stocks were not listed (using ctrl find) then they are not HMRC reportable funds and would therefore not be favourably treated once we return. I worked to ensure my investments were moved to funds on the spreadsheet.
To be clear, individual securities listed on the stock exchange are fine, it is just stock and bond mutual funds that are the issue.

If you have non reporting funds then you will just pay taxes on the dividends and gains as regular income, I don’t believe HMRC has punitive taxes like the IRS has for foreign passive investment funds.
Old Sep 23rd 2022, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Russet has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
To be clear, individual securities listed on the stock exchange are fine, it is just stock and bond mutual funds that are the issue.

If you have non reporting funds then you will just pay taxes on the dividends and gains as regular income, I don’t believe HMRC has punitive taxes like the IRS has for foreign passive investment funds.
Thank for clarifying my statement durham_lad - yes, our US individual listed stocks were all fine, it was the US mutual funds in taxable accounts that I was referring to.

Old Oct 7th 2022, 8:31 am
Just Joined

charlliewhitebread is an unknown quantity at this point

I should be able to help. I went through this process a few years back when I left New York. I can share the details of the company I used for my advice process if you're looking to speak to someone.
Old Oct 10th 2022, 5:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlliewhitebread
I should be able to help. I went through this process a few years back when I left New York. I can share the details of the company I used for my advice process if you're looking to speak to someone.
You’re very welcome to share the details of the company you used on the forum, it may be useful to others. As long as it’s not your own company of course, as per Site Rule 9.

Thx and welcome to the forum.
Old Oct 10th 2022, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

kateg60 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by charlliewhitebread
Please share.