Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK during Canadian tax filing

Moving back to the UK during Canadian tax filing

Old Mar 7th 2012, 4:14 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Post Moving back to the UK during Canadian tax filing

We are moving back to the UK in just under a month from now but are currently in the process of filing our first Canadian tax return. I have read elsewhere that it is possible to request that any refunds are paid to you in GBP, USD or Euros so the former will obviously work perfectly for us but does anyone know how I would go about requesting this if we file the return using the free version of UFile online?

We are presently in Canada but I am using our temporary UK address as the correspondence address on the application and I'm not really sure what else needs to be done at this point. We will be receiving my girlfriend's T4 today.

Thanks.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Moving back to the UK during Canadian tax filing

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
We are moving back to the UK in just under a month from now but are currently in the process of filing our first Canadian tax return. I have read elsewhere that it is possible to request that any refunds are paid to you in GBP, USD or Euros so the former will obviously work perfectly for us but does anyone know how I would go about requesting this if we file the return using the free version of UFile online?

We are presently in Canada but I am using our temporary UK address as the correspondence address on the application and I'm not really sure what else needs to be done at this point. We will be receiving my girlfriend's T4 today.

Thanks.
Hello DG

I was told by the person who does my accounts that you will receive a canadian cheque, which can be cashed at any UK bank. I am not sure if this information is correct, so i will be interested to know as well.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 7:22 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Back2UK
Hello DG

I was told by the person who does my accounts that you will receive a canadian cheque, which can be cashed at any UK bank. I am not sure if this information is correct, so i will be interested to know as well.
Thanks Back2UK, I thought that may be the case but I was hoping not to chance it with a foreign cheque in the UK if I could help it since UK banks can be fussy at the best of times and we also don't have a joint bank account yet although that is easily enough to rectify when we get back I suppose if they do issue us with a single cheque.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Thanks Back2UK, I thought that may be the case but I was hoping not to chance it with a foreign cheque in the UK if I could help it since UK banks can be fussy at the best of times and we also don't have a joint bank account yet although that is easily enough to rectify when we get back I suppose if they do issue us with a single cheque.
Your welcome

You must be excited about your move?
Old Mar 8th 2012, 12:02 am
Sidecar Falcon

We really are, we're just trying to get the last pieces of paperwork out of the way now and sell a few things on. I would leave here tomorrow if the option was available though.

We've just processed the returns using UFile which cost around $20 in total but accepted a foreign correspondence address whereas Turbotax and a couple of the others which I tried wouldn't but since we are apparently ineligible for online processing, we are going to have to send the return off to Ottawa (I think) anyway so I will just put a letter in there requesting that our refund cheques are issued in GBP if possible.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I'm aware, they always issue separate cheques - one for each SIN/tax return. We always have, and our taxes are always filed together. I remember reading somewhere that all overseas returns have to be done on paper/Ufile.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 1:11 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Thanks, we've just found my old stash of Metropasses and so are ready to print the returns and send everything off to the CRC later today. We are currently in Toronto but are leaving in roughly 3 weeks from now, do you by any chance know if we are supposed to send our return into the office for Toronto residents in Sudbury or to the non-resident international office in Ottawa?

We are using my parent's address in the UK as the correspondence address on the application as that is obviously where we will need the refund cheques to go to so I am assuming Ottawa but I'm just a little bit worried since we are technically still Toronto residents at the moment.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Mar 8th 2012 at 1:18 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 3:46 am
Just Joined

jenny heading home is an unknown quantity at this point

we are moving back in september, i have signed up for direct deposit for our tax refund. We are going to keep open our canadian bank account so that it is paid into that and my friend is going to wire the money for us. Just an option for you if your plan does not work. I know this works as she has done it for a friend who went back last year