Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK with dogs

Wikiposts

Moving back to UK with dogs

Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:20 am
Just Joined

dlm5774 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK with dogs

I have been living in USA for over 20 years and am looking to move back to England to help aging parents. I have two major obstacles - my dogs and what to do about my USA money in savinds, 401K, IRA and social security (I have paid into the US social security system for 20 years). Anyone been through/going through a move like this? What is involved in moving dogs from USA to England (Chicago to Heathrow) and what does something like that cost? Dogs are 100 and 50lbs. What about the money side of things? I have about $60,000 liquid in US saving (non-retirement) that I was going to use towards buying a house. I've already paid US taxes on it...do I have to pay UK taxes on it when I return? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:06 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK with dogs

Originally Posted by dlm5774
I have been living in USA for over 20 years and am looking to move back to England to help aging parents. I have two major obstacles - my dogs and what to do about my USA money in savinds, 401K, IRA and social security (I have paid into the US social security system for 20 years). Anyone been through/going through a move like this? What is involved in moving dogs from USA to England (Chicago to Heathrow) and what does something like that cost? Dogs are 100 and 50lbs. What about the money side of things? I have about $60,000 liquid in US saving (non-retirement) that I was going to use towards buying a house. I've already paid US taxes on it...do I have to pay UK taxes on it when I return? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You might want to break this up into two separate threads, seeing as you are asking for specific information about two completely different topics.

Re: Dogs, this topic comes up several times a week - check the Wiki (up top; search for DEFRA), then run an Advanced Search (up top), look for DEFRA, and specify the MBTTUK thread.

No you don't pay taxes on money you bring back (until you start earning interest, which then becomes taxable, just like the States).
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:13 am
Just Joined

dlm5774 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to UK with dogs

Thanks for the advice! I will re-post.