Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK with dog.......

Moving back to UK with dog.......

Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving back to UK with dog.......

I just wanted to add that your animals can have the three year vaccine. The rabies vaccine can and indeed does fail. Two of my 10 dogs failed, and the re-inoculation and subsequent testing had to be repeated. We never paid however for the repeat testing.
I think it's too much of an embarrassment should perhaps Joe Public become aware (in Canada anyhow) that the yearly rabies shots, enforced by the government and sanctioned by the vets are not always 100% reliable.
We are returning home with 10 dogs, 3 cats, a tortoise and a parrot. The tortoise and the parrot being Cites regulated.
I was also informed that most microchips can now be read (I think the term is ISO but don't hold me to it, as I'm responding late at night, when perhaps I should know better)
We are now at the point of processing the third country certificate for the baskervilles and awaiting the cites export papers, (so I can apply for the import papers ) for the pigeon and the snail with a tail.
I've not heard that the Rabies shot is low in this neck of the woods (Canada).
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:33 am
Just Joined

anonomoz is a jewel in the roughanonomoz is a jewel in the roughanonomoz is a jewel in the roughanonomoz is a jewel in the rough

Oh my goodness!! What a collection, good luck with it all, rather you than me!!! 4 kids and one dog enough for me!!!!
Old Aug 27th 2010, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold
Angry Re: Moving back to UK with dog.......

Originally Posted by britmomma
defra.co.uk is what you are looking for. Click the pet travel scheme, print and take to your vet. Your dog has to have the UK chip or you must buy a reader to take with you, the dog has to be chipped BEFORE the rabies vaccine is given. The vet must read the chip, record the chip number, give the vaccine and record the batch number of the vaccine. In the US we have to have a blood test to determine the rabies anti-bodies are present, this must be recorded by the vet. The wait time here on the blood test is six months. Once this test is complete we have an additional two months to get the dog over, but before he boards the plane he must have tick treatment and tapeworm treatment not sooner than 48hrs before he leaves. All recorded by the vet. Hopefully if all goes well no quarantine.

Good luck with your dog and keep us posted, we will be following you next summer!
Unless things have changed drastically, this is not completely right. I did not have a UK chip and no problem. As you say, it is microchip first, then vaccine. After about 30 days a blood test is taken and sent off to see if the vaccine has 'taken' (Titre Test). This took about 2 weeks for the results to come back for my pets. Then it is a 6 month wait to fly from the date the blood test was taken. Just before you fly you must have the Tick and worm treatment and health check. You are then OK to go into the UK without quarantine. As long as you keep the rabies shots completely up to date, you can travel any time. Check with DEFRA for verification. Good luck
Old Aug 27th 2010, 5:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunshine Girl
I just wanted to add that your animals can have the three year vaccine. The rabies vaccine can and indeed does fail. Two of my 10 dogs failed, and the re-inoculation and subsequent testing had to be repeated. We never paid however for the repeat testing.
I think it's too much of an embarrassment should perhaps Joe Public become aware (in Canada anyhow) that the yearly rabies shots, enforced by the government and sanctioned by the vets are not always 100% reliable.
We are returning home with 10 dogs, 3 cats, a tortoise and a parrot. The tortoise and the parrot being Cites regulated.
I was also informed that most microchips can now be read (I think the term is ISO but don't hold me to it, as I'm responding late at night, when perhaps I should know better)
We are now at the point of processing the third country certificate for the baskervilles and awaiting the cites export papers, (so I can apply for the import papers ) for the pigeon and the snail with a tail.
I've not heard that the Rabies shot is low in this neck of the woods (Canada).
Are you saying they can have the 3 year vaccine for the Pet's Passport? I thought the shots had to be done every 12 mths.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Are you saying they can have the 3 year vaccine for the Pet's Passport? I thought the shots had to be done every 12 mths.
A 3 year shot is fine
Old Aug 27th 2010, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light

Yes they can have the 3 year vaccine, if the dog is an adult. First shot as a pup still one year.
In fact from what I recall the drug is exactly the same, as is the dosage for the 1 year and the 3 year vaccine.
The three year vaccine averts the risks of the vaccine itself and over immunizing.
Defra regulations stipulate that the drug is valid until the manufacturers data says it is. Hence 3 years from the date of the shot, so long as their titre levels are acceptable. The two of mine that failed had a repeat shot and their levels were way up, passed the acceptable level.
I wouldn't like to hazard if they had a shot every year what their levels would be like
So essentially on my Veterinary Certificate (Rabies) the valid until date reflects the date given and the date valid until (ie 3 years post).
I triple checked with Defra prior to undertaking the three year shot, and even kept all my reference numbers, as we could not afford to make a mistake either financially or emotionally