Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK - Do we go get australian citizenship

Moving back to the UK - Do we go get australian citizenship

Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

jo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant future
Default Moving back to the UK - Do we go get australian citizenship

Hi,

After 3 1/2 years in Australia, we have decided to go back to the UK, after spending all the money to come to australia, does anyone suggest going for Australian Citizenship before we leave, just in case we ever want to come back to australia?

Thanks for any advance for any advice.

Jo
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:04 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK - Do we go get australian citizenship

Originally Posted by jo_west
Hi,

After 3 1/2 years in Australia, we have decided to go back to the UK, after spending all the money to come to australia, does anyone suggest going for Australian Citizenship before we leave, just in case we ever want to come back to australia?

Jo
IMO you would be daft to leave without it.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

meols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud ofmeols12 has much to be proud of

Hi,

Jo
I've been here 3 1/2 years. Applied to sit the Citizenship test in the Geelong area back in February last year, and received my citizenship at the end of October, so it took about 8 months. About to sell my house so as to return to the UK, but glad that I got citizenship should I ever wish to return.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Jo
If you have kids, its worth doing from their point of view - they may want to move back here when they are older.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:35 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Jo
As someone who went home to UK and then realised he wish he'd stayed where he was, i cant tell you how glad i am i got my Canadian citizenship.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Jo
As you say, it cost you a packet to get here in the first place, so you may as well get something out of it.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

I was in a funny situation, I was really bored, 9 years in Aus ad was offered PR by my company in exchange for a further 3 years commitment. I declined and am not back in the UK and although I dont regret leaving when I did, i do wish i had PR very much.

I am trying to now get back to Aus and need another 457 visa to make it work. Fortunately I should be cool.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:52 am
Reg. Migration Agent

Les Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to behold

Apply for and wait until you've got Aussie citizenship before you leave then, if you decide the UK is not for you any more (very common) then it is easy to come back.

Also, before you go talk to an accountant about applying for non-resident status for taxation purposes. Too complex an issue for this forum, but very wise.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:02 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

In your situation I would however I have no idea why you're leaving which may have a bearing on the matter.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

We got citizenship before coming back to UK and I am glad we did
Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice

We got our citizenship and aussie passports. Definately worth doing. My oldest son is planning to work in Aus after he leaves Uni here for a while. Im glad we did it. As a family, we made loads of friends, its peace of mind to know we can each return if we wanted whenever, and Im sure my youngest son will want to visit his mates in years to come.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

I would. If you are happy to wait about for the extra time it takes (and it may take that long to get UK home sorted etc). We chose not to though as we would have had to hang about for years !
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

jo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by moneypen20
In your situation I would however I have no idea why you're leaving which may have a bearing on the matter.
Thanks for your response, we are leaving because we believe Australia is not for us at this moment, we miss our family and friends, and that Australia does not feel like home. However I do believe that Australia is a beautiful place, the lifestyle is great, we have just been missing home too much, maybe the Gold Coast was the best place to go. Jo
Old Jan 19th 2009, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, I'm with the others, dual nationality can be a boon especially for kids in this changing world, who knows where they will end up. At least with Aus citizenship you wouldnt have to give up your UK one - for me that would be a deal breaker. Mind you it gets very expensive to have to keep renewing 2 passports every 10 years!
Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Jo
You can have mine when we go. Meet us down the Dog and Duck with a bag full of folding stuff.