Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK didn't bother me

Moving back to the UK didn't bother me

Old Nov 19th 2019, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

namsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond reputenamsbabe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving back to the UK didn't bother me

It's often said that ex-pats coming back home get flustered at change.
It didn't bother me - in honesty.

Not much, really, had changed since compared to when I was away.
I lived overseas from 2007-2016, and the major thing that shook me was demographics. I hope this doesn't sound that bad since I'm not a bigot but I didn't recall as many Polish-food stores.
But then that point is minor - and welcome of course.

Am I alone here?
Is it normal not to experience a major re-adjustment?
Old Nov 20th 2019, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK didn't bother me

No your not alone... My friend went back to the UK five years ago after living in the Netherlands for over 30 yrs. She settled right back in to UK life... It could be because her village in Cambridgeshire hadn't changed one iota since she left. Virtually everything was the same.No new buildings, no new companies,no new shops. New owners of course , a new vicar at the church.
It sounds like you went back to an area that had become dependent on Polish workers.. Perhaps a rural location ? Norfolk maybe?. Areas where farmers claimed they couldn't get locals to come and work( for the rate of pay ?) Many of the Polish families set up shops selling familiar products for their community.. Similar to the British when abroad.. with their British shops.. We had two in the area I lived in in NL. and a couple in Antwerp.
For me ..not to have changed at all.. is a sign of decay.. not forward thinking etc. Keeping things/ places in aspic . It was quite noticeable on my last visit to the UK in July. It was like a living museum in many places.all rather shabby as well.very comfortable for those who don't like change. but not very encouraging for the young. Just my opinion.. Hope you are enjoying life back home.
Old Nov 20th 2019, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK didn't bother me

We also moved back and felt like not much had changed. We moved back to the same small town our children were born in and where we still had old friends & neighbours. This was after 29 years away, but we did do a trial run a few years before, renting a house for 6 months and living without a car as this is where we expect to live out our days.

Last edited by durham_lad; Nov 20th 2019 at 12:03 pm.