Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back UK from Canada - with kids and no hubbie

Moving back UK from Canada - with kids and no hubbie

Old Sep 19th 2018, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Cathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back UK from Canada - with kids and no hubbie

Hi... Been in Canada since 2005, but separated since 2015 - and I'm really feeling the draw to return home.
Since being here - I've only been back to visit once, so I'm missing a LOT of things :P But mainly, a sense of belonging.

ANYHOO... sob story aside - has anyone returned to the UK with kids and left their dad back in Canada? Getting permission to leave the country with the kids - Is it a super tricky process? Is it doable? Should I prepare myself for a year in the courts and thousands of dollars? or is it as painless as getting together with their dad and our lawyers and signing a statement? I have no idea and google overwhelmed me - hoping to hear from someone who's been there, done that, got the badge.
Kids are youngish, almost 10 and 4 - so I'm thinking about making the move before my eldest would start High School, and going back to Scotland - near to my mum and family.

Cheers!
Old Sep 19th 2018, 4:42 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back UK from Canada - with kids and no hubbie

If their father is happy for them to go then no problem. Just make sure you all have British passports and hop on a plane. If you are separated then it’s a good idea to have a letter from the father giving you permission to remove the children from Canada.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving back UK from Canada - with kids and no hubbie

I moved back from US with my 2 children following my divorce and key was gaining an agreement with my ex that he gave his permission for me to take the kids to the UK to reside. I think if you get your ducks in a row before i.e. do a relocation visit before to check out where you would live, schools, possible jobs and make sure you and your kids really do want to move back before you approach your ex. Whenever I have traveled, I always carry a copy of the divorce which states I have sole physical custody and that the children are allowed to reside in the UK with me. Not sure of the rules in Canada but in the U.S. I had to go to court to have a judge sign off on our agreement as part of the divorce to allow me to leave the US with the kids as the US only saw them as American and habitually resident there before we could leave.

My best advise is, make sure you and your kids want to move and then if so, do you research and position yourself in order to make your case to your ex.