Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving Back to UK from Canada- Any Recent Experiences?

Moving Back to UK from Canada- Any Recent Experiences?

Old Jul 10th 2021, 7:05 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Back to UK from Canada- Any Recent Experiences?

Originally Posted by LuxetVeritas
Sounds like some of the senior citizens here are happy with life in the UK so I will definitely take that on board this weekend. I just hope that the Tories' austerity agenda does not severely compromise this going forward for younger people like myself in the future. One thing's for certain: my heart belongs there and the memories are priceless. I realised this morning that my fear is that I'm living in the past and that I'll be disappointed if the Britain of today is not like the Britain of 10 years ago. I made that point earlier but would be interesting to hear from those who moved back on this idea- how did you overcome this fear?
Are you affiliated with Yale University by any chance? I’ve never been there, despite living within 250 miles of it for nearly half my life. I’m keen to visit the Lewis Walpole Library and the Yale Center for British Art - as well as the Yale Art Museum.
Old Jul 10th 2021, 8:25 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like some of the senior citizens here are happy with life in the UK so I will definitely take that on board this weekend. I just hope that the Tories' austerity agenda does not severely compromise this going forward for younger people like myself in the future. One thing's for certain: my heart belongs there and the memories are priceless. I realised this morning that my fear is that I'm living in the past and that I'll be disappointed if the Britain of today is not like the Britain of 10 years ago. I made that point earlier but would be interesting to hear from those who moved back on this idea- how did you overcome this fear?
In many ways it isn't like the Britain of 10 years ago. But then again, you aren't like you were 10 years ago either. Nothing stands still, and you can't put the genie back in the bottle, but you also have an irreplaceable extra perspective that those who have never lived out of the country don't have. You will value certain things more, place less importance on others, and see things with new (not better or worse necessarily) eyes. I'm hoping to get back next year, but for me it isn't going back at all, it's going on. To the next adventure.
Old Jul 10th 2021, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

LuxetVeritas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
In many ways it isn't like the Britain of 10 years ago. But then again, you aren't like you were 10 years ago either. Nothing stands still, and you can't put the genie back in the bottle, but you also have an irreplaceable extra perspective that those who have never lived out of the country don't have. You will value certain things more, place less importance on others, and see things with new (not better or worse necessarily) eyes. I'm hoping to get back next year, but for me it isn't going back at all, it's going on. To the next adventure.
Interesting perspective- didn't think of it in those terms!
Old Jul 10th 2021, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by robin1234
Are you affiliated with Yale University by any chance? I’ve never been there, despite living within 250 miles of it for nearly half my life. I’m keen to visit the Lewis Walpole Library and the Yale Center for British Art - as well as the Yale Art Museum.
Nope I'm a Cambridge graduate lol I know my name is Yale's Coat of Arms but it's just coincidence. Never been to Connecticut either but I hear Yale has a wonderful campus so if I were you I'd certainly try to visit!
Old Jul 11th 2021, 1:11 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting perspective- didn't think of it in those terms!

The dialectics of migration
Old Jul 11th 2021, 2:00 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope I'm a Cambridge graduate lol I know my name is Yale's Coat of Arms but it's just coincidence. Never been to Connecticut either but I hear Yale has a wonderful campus so if I were you I'd certainly try to visit!
Me too ..
Old Jul 14th 2021, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I miss UK comedy shows and the sense of humour as well. I watch clips on YouTube but it's no the same thing. My only concern with moving back is quality of life in the UK has deteriorated especially since Brexit. Otherwise I wouldn't be conflicted.
Life here in the UK has not been deteriorated by Brexit..if anything it has helped with a sense of identity and life has carried on..
Old Jul 14th 2021, 2:50 pm
ISD
Just Joined

ISD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jamesy5008
I'm always very surprised by some of the negative comments regarding Toronto and Canada generally. I was under the impression that it was a friendly and progressive country but reading some of this it appears that they are a bunch of ignorant torn faces who are very rude. I work with a fair few Canadians in Cayman and they are all very decent and friendly folk. Although I am fully aware that everywhere has it arseholes. I left Scotland to get away from ours.

Toronto is the only city I have ever had a burger and fries thrown at me going through a drive thru. She was nice enough to hand me my drink first
Old Jul 15th 2021, 4:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brits1
Life here in the UK has not been deteriorated by Brexit..if anything it has helped with a sense of identity and life has carried on..
Glad to hear that, although like I mentioned in an earlier post reading the bloody media you wouldn't know it.
Old Jul 16th 2021, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto's a grind. Can't say I blame you for wanting to leave. I know many Canadians too who have lived there, initially for the career, and turned back after several years, so I don't think it is necessarily Canada you have the issue with, but the lifestyle and culture and mindset of Toronto and what it offers.

Last edited by Lychee; Jul 16th 2021 at 3:14 am.
Old Jul 16th 2021, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ISD
Toronto is the only city I have ever had a burger and fries thrown at me going through a drive thru. She was nice enough to hand me my drink first
In general, "rude", "ignorant", "*rsehole" and "progressive" come as a package, perhaps with "conceit" as the cherry on top.
Old Jul 16th 2021, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
In general, "rude", "ignorant", "*rsehole" and "progressive" come as a package, perhaps with "conceit" as the cherry on top.
Perfectly describes Torontonians and probably London UK as well.
Old Jul 30th 2021, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Tosh101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WarmWaterEddie
My wife and I are returning to the UK after 41 years in the USA. We're retired, and can't wait to go after all the COVID things are in the rear view mirror.
We’ve been in Canada 42 years this month and are hoping to head back to UK soon as possible next spring. We are both 75 and everything seems so difficult.
Old Jul 30th 2021, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Diane Rowe is an unknown quantity at this point

Where in Canada do you live?
Yes it was relatively easy when I was
24 in 1976 to hop on a plane and come over here.
Old Jul 30th 2021, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

Tosh101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Diane Rowe
Where in Canada do you live?
Yes it was relatively easy when I was
24 in 1976 to hop on a plane and come over here.

we are in the south Okanagan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.