Moving back to UK from Canada

Wikiposts

Moving back to UK from Canada

Old May 18th 2013, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

roberto_the_besto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK from Canada

Hello everyone,

So I have been in Canada for the last 10 months (on a working holiday visa) and have been earning (of course) and paying the 5 different types of taxes/pension plans. I filed my taxes and got a tax return for some hundreds of dollars. However I left the UK on July 2nd 2012 and will return on Jul 23rd 2013. What do I have to do to notify the UK government of my taxes? I don't want to do anything illegal.

Also, I received a letter from the students loan company and they said that they know I am overseas, (I had not informed them, still my mistake) and they are asking for a wage slip from my Canadian employer, so that I can start paying my student loan back.

The problem is, is that I am paying a total of 25% tax here in Canada and I am just about surviving.

I have read about the tax treaties etc but I have a few questions.

Obviously the tax year in Canada runs from January 1st to December 31st so will the UK take that in to account or will they decide that it will be from the date I started employment in September 2012 until April 2013 for tax purposes?

To be honest, I have the biggest headache and it is making me feel a bit worried.

I am so confused. I hope that somebody can help me.
Old May 19th 2013, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Moving back to UK from Canada

Any ideas anyone? :s
Old May 19th 2013, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by roberto_the_besto

What do I have to do to notify the UK government of my taxes? I don't want to do anything illegal.
Your best bet is to give HMRC a call. I do that myself every time I have a tax question and they are really very helpful. Just tell them your story, ask them your questions and they will usually be able to help right there on the phone.
If there is anything that you are not given a definitive answer on during the call then put your question in writing and send it to them. It takes a while but you will get a reply.

Taxes Helpline

Please have your National Insurance number with you when you phone

Opening hours
8.00 am to 8.00 pm, Monday to Friday
8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday

0845 300 0627

If you're calling from abroad please telephone:
+44 135 535 9022
You can write to HMRC by using the postal address on the most recent correspondence from us.

If you don't have recent correspondence from us then write to:

HM Revenue & Customs
Pay As You Earn
PO Box 1970
Liverpool
L75 1WX
Old May 20th 2013, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you larrabee, that is really helpful. I will give them a call tomorrow. I hope I am not in trouble...durrrr!!!!!!!
Old May 21st 2013, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

I have just called them. That is much better. Thank you very much
Old May 21st 2013, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by roberto_the_besto
I have just called them. That is much better. Thank you very much
See!
When I made my first call, the lady I spoke with actually congratulated me on being proactive!
I'm really glad you feel better now!
Old May 21st 2013, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

Rony is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by larrabee
Your best bet is to give HMRC a call. I do that myself every time I have a tax question and they are really very helpful. Just tell them your story, ask them your questions and they will usually be able to help right there on the phone.
If there is anything that you are not given a definitive answer on during the call then put your question in writing and send it to them. It takes a while but you will get a reply.
I really appreciate your answer and help you have provided......