Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK from Belgium.

Moving back to the UK from Belgium.

Old Aug 28th 2014, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

CharlotteAppleton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to the UK from Belgium.

Hello!

I am wanting to move back to the UK with my partner and my 3 children. I am totally confused on what to do, and no matter where I try to find help, I can't find it. My partner is Belgian and all 3 of my children were born here in Belgium. They are 2,1 and 4 months. I am terribly home sick and want to move back home, bringing my family with me.

Does anyone know how I go about doing this? We need somewhere to live before we move since we can't just turn up with three children and nowhere to live. Plus my partner would need a job and I would need to go on benefits until at least my 2nd child starts pre-school.

Any advice would be truly welcome
Old Aug 28th 2014, 9:43 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK from Belgium.

I would suggest finding a job for your partner before you all move back en masse would be a good idea. With a salaried income it would then be relatively simple to rent a property and bring your children across. Do you have any support in the UK, family or friends, who could put you up in the short term? Do you, your partner and your children all have valid passports or ID cards, British or Belgian?

Last edited by BritInParis; Aug 28th 2014 at 9:46 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You asked the same questions in October 2013, and, like then, you are receiving the same answers.

Presuming you are all either British or Belgian:

- Your partner gets a job in the UK prior to moving over. Depending on what he does for a living, look at newspapers, contact agencies. (he might need to move before you to set up)
- You research rental properties prior to moving.
- Get family to put you up if you can't rent
- You won't automatically get benefits until such time as you have been assessed for permanent residency.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You asked the same questions in October 2013, and, like then, you are receiving the same answers.

SNIP
- You won't automatically get benefits until such time as you have been assessed for permanent residency.
Except the benefit rules changed this year and have got tougher. As the OP has been out of the UK for more than 52 weeks, there will be a wait before most income based benefits can be claimed, even benefits for children.

I see Germany has just responded to the UKs tough new benefit rules with new toughter welfare rules for Germany. Germany even aim to deport and ban EU citizens for 5 years, if the daily fail is to be believed. It seems that as Britain is keen to lose it's 'Benefits Britain' tag by making all these welfare changes, Germany is not keen to be the next target If it's true, expect the UK to respond accordingly with more tougher rules on welfare, in a tit for tat with Germany, until another EU country realises that they will become the new benefit target.

EDIT The link
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ts-system.html

It seems it's true.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...it-cheats.html

Last edited by formula; Aug 29th 2014 at 4:24 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CharlotteAppleton
Hello!
I would need to go on benefits until at least my 2nd child starts pre-school.
You won't get that choice if you want benefits. Under the present rules, you will be exempt from being expected to work until your youngest is 5, but that changes under the new benefit rules to age 1 with the new replacement income based benefit called Universal Credit.

The only thing you could claim for yourself this year is jobseekers after you have been in the UK for 3 months, but as you don't intend to work you wouldn't qualify for it as you have to sign-on and provide evidence that you are looking for work and attend workfare placements and work providers.

Most income based benefits now, including benefits for children, require people to have been in the UK for at least 3 months before they claim. The only exception to that is for Brits, if they have not been out of the UK for more than 52 weeks.

SanDiegogirl gives some good suggestions.