Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the uk on an Australian passport

Moving back to the uk on an Australian passport

Old Aug 14th 2017, 1:02 am
  #16  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 119
CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the uk on an Australian passport

Originally Posted by bats View Post
Yeah, last time I entered the uk on my Canadian passport it was pretty nasty they insisted I needed a British passport, denied that you didn't need a passport etc, etc. I wouldn't try it again
Whatever entry clearance officer you spoke to was spouting BS (not that it surprises me). Especially if your not moving to the UK and just visiting, there's no requirement to do so.

He/she also kind of caught himself there as well, if he reasonably thought you were a British citizen, he should have ceased any questioning as your not subject to immigration control. He/she can't have it both ways.
CanadianSpruce is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2017, 1:11 am
  #17  
limey party pooper
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,828
bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the uk on an Australian passport

Originally Posted by CanadianSpruce View Post
Whatever entry clearance officer you spoke to was spouting BS (not that it surprises me). Especially if your not moving to the UK and just visiting, there's no requirement to do so.

He/she also kind of caught himself there as well, if he reasonably thought you were a British citizen, he should have ceased any questioning as your not subject to immigration control. He/she can't have it both ways.
i know it was BS, I even had my expired British passport with me, my birth certificate and an appointment to renew the passport. There were two of them hectoring me, it was nasty. I'd avoid any chance of this happening.
bats is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2017, 1:19 am
  #18  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 8,944
SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the uk on an Australian passport

Originally Posted by bats View Post
Yeah, last time I entered the uk on my Canadian passport it was pretty nasty they insisted I needed a British passport, denied that you didn't need a passport etc, etc. I wouldn't try it again
The last time I entered the UK I used my US passport.

Of course as soon as I answered her question she said "Are you British?; "Yes" I said. "We would prefer you to enter the UK using your British passport" , she said; "OK", said I and was on my way. No unpleasantness at all.

Why they are getting somewhat pedantic about using a British passport if one is just visiting (which I was), I don't know. If you are entering the UK and not intending to leave I could understand the need for a (preferably) current British passport.

Maybe they are following the US - who insist on you using your US passport to enter and leave the country at all times.
SanDiegogirl is online now  
Old Aug 14th 2017, 1:35 am
  #19  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 119
CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the uk on an Australian passport

Originally Posted by bats View Post
i know it was BS, I even had my expired British passport with me, my birth certificate and an appointment to renew the passport. There were two of them hectoring me, it was nasty. I'd avoid any chance of this happening.
Out of interest, did you give them your old British passport and BC all together with your Canadian passport or until they asked?
CanadianSpruce is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2017, 1:37 am
  #20  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 119
CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the uk on an Australian passport

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl View Post
The last time I entered the UK I used my US passport.

Of course as soon as I answered her question she said "Are you British?; "Yes" I said. "We would prefer you to enter the UK using your British passport" , she said; "OK", said I and was on my way. No unpleasantness at all.

Why they are getting somewhat pedantic about using a British passport if one is just visiting (which I was), I don't know. If you are entering the UK and not intending to leave I could understand the need for a (preferably) current British passport.

Maybe they are following the US - who insist on you using your US passport to enter and leave the country at all times.
Especially for some Expats who literally visit the UK once every 10 years, its pretty much pointless (and a waste of money) having a British passport.

Last edited by CanadianSpruce; Aug 14th 2017 at 1:58 am.
CanadianSpruce is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2017, 6:36 am
  #21  
HMP Queensland
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,257
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the uk on an Australian passport

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl View Post
The last time I entered the UK I used my US passport.

Of course as soon as I answered her question she said "Are you British?; "Yes" I said. "We would prefer you to enter the UK using your British passport" , she said; "OK", said I and was on my way. No unpleasantness at all.

Why they are getting somewhat pedantic about using a British passport if one is just visiting (which I was), I don't know. If you are entering the UK and not intending to leave I could understand the need for a (preferably) current British passport.

Maybe they are following the US - who insist on you using your US passport to enter and leave the country at all times.
They prefer it cos it makes it easier for them - no need to keep a record of an 'alien' entering etc, you enter as a Brit and they don't need systems keeping tabs on whether you work, leave on time etc.

However there is no rule in place that says you MUST enter/leve n a UK passport if you hold one The choice is still yours and there has been no whisper yet of it ever changing.
Pollyana is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2017, 4:13 pm
  #22  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 3,400
durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the uk on an Australian passport

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl View Post

Maybe they are following the US - who insist on you using your US passport to enter and leave the country at all times.
Australia have this rule also, plus they have actual exit controls where they check the passport that has meant you have been staying legally in the country. As an Australian/US dual citizen living in the USA my SIL returning from Australia has to show his US passport to the airline and then at border control before getting to the airplane show his Australian passport.

My daughter got her UK passport renewed a few years ago because she said she was fed up of them sniping at her when she entered the UK to visit us on her US passport.
durham_lad is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2017, 5:18 pm
  #23  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 17,508
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the uk on an Australian passport

Originally Posted by durham_lad View Post
Australia have this rule also, plus they have actual exit controls where they check the passport that has meant you have been staying legally in the country. As an Australian/US dual citizen living in the USA my SIL returning from Australia has to show his US passport to the airline and then at border control before getting to the airplane show his Australian passport.

My daughter got her UK passport renewed a few years ago because she said she was fed up of them sniping at her when she entered the UK to visit us on her US passport.
Unlike the US there's no de jure requirement to present an Australian passport. There is a de facto requirement to do so however as all non-Australians, bar New Zealanders, require a visa to board an aircraft to Australia and Australian visas cannot be issued to Australian citizens. An Australian citizen holding a foreign passport without a visa can travel to Australia, but it would require the airline in question to ring DIBP for permission to let them board (aka an 'uplift'), which they are under no obligation to do.
BritInParis is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2017, 6:55 pm
  #24  
limey party pooper
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,828
bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the uk on an Australian passport

Originally Posted by CanadianSpvruce View Post
Out of interest, did you give them your old British passport and BC all together with your Canadian passport or until they asked?
Expired British and Canadisn passports together. I'd done this before and then it was fine but I'm not risking meeting antagonistic officers again,
bats is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2017, 11:46 pm
  #25  
Crazy Cat Lady
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 65,493
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the uk on an Australian passport

Originally Posted by bats View Post
Expired British and Canadisn passports together. I'd done this before and then it was fine but I'm not risking meeting antagonistic officers again,
Perhaps you meant 'officials doing their jobs correctly'?
moneypenny20 is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2017, 11:55 pm
  #26  
limey party pooper
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,828
bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the uk on an Australian passport

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
Perhaps you meant 'officials doing their jobs correctly'?
No I didn't. I'm sure doing their jobs correctly involves being polite at the very least. Plus I don't need to use a UK passport to enter the UK. So no that's not what I meant at all.
bats is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.