Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK from Australia

Moving back to UK from Australia

Old May 23rd 2017, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

mash2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK from Australia

Hi everyone,

Been living in Sydney for the past 10years, I have Australian and Uk citizenship,

When I sell my apartment in Sydney would have to pay tax from the sale of the property in Australia?

As I would be moving to London, I would be looking at buying a place back in the UK, would be able to transfer the money from Sydney or would there be some formality I need to go through?

Old May 23rd 2017, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

benhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Australia

Sorry, I was apparently wrong.

Last edited by benhila; May 23rd 2017 at 12:43 pm.
Old May 23rd 2017, 12:37 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benhila
Yes, you will have to pay capital gain tax in Australia (and given the huge increase in property values in Sydney over the past 10 years, probably a considerable sum).

There is no "formality you need to go through" when transferring your money from Sydney to the UK. You will need a bank account in the UK in your name.
Not quite correct. If the OP is selling his own apartment that he's lived in and is an Australian citizen, he will very likely qualify for a full exemption from capital gains tax, ie he will pay nothing.

https://www.ato.gov.au/general/capit...ing-your-home/
Old May 23rd 2017, 12:41 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mash2000
Hi everyone,

Been living in Sydney for the past 10years, I have Australian and Uk citizenship,

When I sell my apartment in Sydney would have to pay tax from the sale of the property in Australia?

As I would be moving to London, I would be looking at buying a place back in the UK, would be able to transfer the money from Sydney or would there be some formality I need to go through?

My husband (dual UK and Oz citizen) and myself (Oz citizen) moved back to the UK after he'd been in Australia for 25 years. We sold our home in Perth - no tax to pay on that. We've kept some of the funds from the sale of our home in an Oz bank account, we don't pay tax on the interest because it's below the personal taxation allowance amount. If our taxable income in Australia from all sources was over the personal allowance amount (around $20,000 each I think?) then we'd pay the ATO tax on the amount over that allowance.

We transfer money to our UK bank account as we need it, and pay tax in the UK on our total taxable income.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; May 23rd 2017 at 12:47 pm.
Old May 23rd 2017, 12:47 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by benhila
Sorry, I was apparently wrong.
No worries, we all try to help the best we can