Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK from Australia

Moving back to UK from Australia

Old Aug 28th 2013, 1:17 am
Just Joined

AJM72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK from Australia

Hi,

I am considering moving to the UK with my wife and 2 young children. I am looking at settling in the Devon area. Can anyone recommend any nice areas in Devon that are suitable for raising young children (they aren't school age yet)? Also what is the overall vibe of living in this area?

Thanks
Old Aug 28th 2013, 1:21 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Australia

Originally Posted by AJM72
Hi,

I am considering moving to the UK with my wife and 2 young children. I am looking at settling in the Devon area. Can anyone recommend any nice areas in Devon that are suitable for raising young children (they aren't school age yet)? Also what is the overall vibe of living in this area?

Thanks
Hi AJM and welcome to BE

Can I ask - are you moving back or moving to? By that, are you all British citizens?
Old Aug 28th 2013, 1:27 am
Just Joined

AJM72 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am moving back to the uk. I am a British Citizen. My wife qualifies for an ancestral visa and my children are British citizens through me. They have just been given their UK passports.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 1:30 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I am moving back to the uk. I am a British Citizen. My wife qualifies for an ancestral visa and my children are British citizens through me. They have just been given their UK passports.
That's good - makes life a lot easier

I can't help with any real info - my DD holidays don't that way, as do friends from work - and they keep going back so must be something there. Living somewhere permanently though is never the same, so hopefully someone else will be along with first hand experience to share soon
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

There are a couple of posters who were talking about that neck of the woods I think,-they should be along shortly I reckon

The global nature of BE means that there are day 'shifts', and night 'shifts'!
Old Aug 28th 2013, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

zutijar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks
We moved from Appledore in Devon (a great and friendly place) to southern Spain for a change of climate and lifestyle. 4 years ago we moved to Normandy in France where we have a better climate than the UK and are just one hour from ferries and airports back to the UK to see family. Normandy is friendly and VERY safe for kids who grow up bilingual, well-behaved and respectful. The countryside is just like Devon - lanes with high banks and hedgerows, the whole area is like growing up in England in the '50's - everyone supports the local butchers and bakers, the market stalls and farm shops but equally visits the hypermarkets 10 minutes away. There are crèches, nurseries, after school clubs, summer vacation clubs and kids make friends easily. It's a very pro-British region for obvious historic reasons. Unfortunately for health reasons we have to move back to the UK to be nearer family, but it IS unfortunately and with great regrets. Our French friends all try to speak English and laugh when they teach us French slang. We have always been struck when dining out how well-behaved French children are and how they still speak when spoken to! You don't have to go ALL the way back to England to give your kids the perfect lifestyle! Good luck anyway.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:56 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zutijar
We moved from Appledore in Devon (a great and friendly place) to southern Spain for a change of climate and lifestyle. 4 years ago we moved to Normandy in France where we have a better climate than the UK and are just one hour from ferries and airports back to the UK to see family. Normandy is friendly and VERY safe for kids who grow up bilingual, well-behaved and respectful. The countryside is just like Devon - lanes with high banks and hedgerows, the whole area is like growing up in England in the '50's - everyone supports the local butchers and bakers, the market stalls and farm shops but equally visits the hypermarkets 10 minutes away. There are crèches, nurseries, after school clubs, summer vacation clubs and kids make friends easily. It's a very pro-British region for obvious historic reasons. Unfortunately for health reasons we have to move back to the UK to be nearer family, but it IS unfortunately and with great regrets. Our French friends all try to speak English and laugh when they teach us French slang. We have always been struck when dining out how well-behaved French children are and how they still speak when spoken to! You don't have to go ALL the way back to England to give your kids the perfect lifestyle! Good luck anyway.
Any advice for the OP who isnt actually moving to France?
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Hi, we have a home in a tiny hamlet in North Devon not far from Westward Ho!

I love it, it has a pub which welcomes dogs and has a decent menu.
Shops are local, walks are great in all weathers, locals are friendly and honest.

Barnstaple is a short drive away, great shops, cafe's etc.

My part of Devon is very much old fashioned England, always feels safe and I can't wait to get back
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

zutijar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chris955
Any advice for the OP who isnt actually moving to France?
I DID commence my post with Appledore! A great place. I think though that posters should try to remain open-minded. It's a big wide world!
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:20 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvmeboys
Hi, we have a home in a tiny hamlet in North Devon not far from Westward Ho!

I love it, it has a pub which welcomes dogs and has a decent menu.
Shops are local, walks are great in all weathers, locals are friendly and honest.

Barnstaple is a short drive away, great shops, cafe's etc.

My part of Devon is very much old fashioned England, always feels safe and I can't wait to get back
OK so why does Westward Ho! have an exclamation mark but Plymouth Ho doesn't? (Just wondering - it might be important to the OP, you never know ...)
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
OK so why does Westward Ho! have an exclamation mark but Plymouth Ho doesn't? (Just wondering - it might be important to the OP, you never know ...)
Because it's Plymouth HOE

For trivia enthusiasts, Westward Ho! is named after Charles Kingsley's book of same name.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Aug 28th 2013 at 6:27 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:26 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zutijar
I DID commence my post with Appledore! A great place. I think though that posters should try to remain open-minded. It's a big wide world!
My point is if someone is looking to move specifically to Devon they arent likely to say 'oh lets try France instead'
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Because it's Plymouth HOE
Ho Hoe Ho!
Old Aug 28th 2013, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Ho Hoe Ho!
That Hoe thing had you bowled over then? LOL - nudge nudge
Old Aug 28th 2013, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
My point is if someone is looking to move specifically to Devon they arent likely to say 'oh lets try France instead'
It was a comparison with that area, so quite valid in my view. You and I both know that 'across the pond' is a fair distance! So experience of Devon/France with some similarity-and close access to the UK../young family also?

I reckon it's an informative post

(...........besides; are we not very familiar with those who concentrate on some of the most minor issues in our posts Chris....?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.