Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK after living abroad over 5 years

Moving back to the UK after living abroad over 5 years

Old Sep 22nd 2020, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK after living abroad over 5 years

As I remember it from my days working in the Passport Office. The Nationality Act of 01/01/1983 determined that any child born in the UK after this date would not be deemed British unless the parents or one of the parents was a British Citizen by birth or by subsequent naturalisation before the birth of the child. The parents would need to register the child as whatever nationality the mother was. It sewed up a loop hole which allowed people to enter the country, stay long enough to give birth and then leave claiming British Citizenship for their offspring.

Family could apply like all other non British citizens after a qualifying period to become a naturalised British Citizen.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

blokeandbird is an unknown quantity at this point

After 15 years away biggest pain in the a$$ we have had is we have no credit score in UK, so having to build from scratch.
Cant get a credit card, because of above. Other than that no problems.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

I plan on taking copies of my credit history here in Canada and copies of my no claims motor insurance back with me. For appointments with the bank or insurers, you could show that and they may take it into consideration. Here, when we came to Canada we had to get our first credit card by putting down a $500 deposit which they held for two years. The Insurance no claims was accepted and we were given some credit by one company. JOHNSONS. We do still have a Visa Debit card with our UK Bank account, so should not need more than that to tide us over if they dont. My husbands UK Pension still goes into that UK account.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

She would not have difficulty getting a British passport as she is British be descent as her parents are British and she would be able to pass that to her children. Would have worked also if she had grandparents who are British, but the difference then would be that she couldnt pass it to her children.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

blokeandbird is an unknown quantity at this point

UK will not take Canadian credit history, we tried that when we moved back from Canada. As for car insurance, contact UK insurers first. They require specific information. For us we had to pay as if we didnt have any no claims, after 1 year they will then flip our Canadian no claims into UK, and add on the 1 year.
Oh, UK still is not issuing paperwork to swap driving license, so you may have to pay more as not UK. After some back and forth our insurer didnt charge us more.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 12:40 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blokeandbird
UK will not take Canadian credit history, we tried that when we moved back from Canada. As for car insurance, contact UK insurers first. They require specific information. For us we had to pay as if we didnt have any no claims, after 1 year they will then flip our Canadian no claims into UK, and add on the 1 year.
Oh, UK still is not issuing paperwork to swap driving license, so you may have to pay more as not UK. After some back and forth our insurer didnt charge us more.
Myself and a few other BE regulars used Aviva for our car insurance when we moved/moved back to the UK - if you have something in writing from your previous motor vehicle insurer to a) confirm that you're no longer insured with them and b) the number of no claim years you were on, they'll give you the same amount of no claim years.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

magnification is an unknown quantity at this point

After living away for years, surely there’s a qualifying period for, say, hospital care etc?
Don’t you have to show some proof of links to UK? More than just a British passport.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnification
After living away for years, surely there’s a qualifying period for, say, hospital care etc?
Don’t you have to show some proof of links to UK? More than just a British passport.
A British passport just shows you have the right to live in Britain. To obtain NHS services you have to be tax resident. When I first went to the hospital here after living in the USA for 30 years I was required to show my passport and proof of residence such as a utility bill in my name.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
A British passport just shows you have the right to live in Britain. To obtain NHS services you have to be tax resident. When I first went to the hospital here after living in the USA for 30 years I was required to show my passport and proof of residence such as a utility bill in my name.
Since the previous poster is querying the specifics of NHS eligibility and in particular hospital treatment, it is not strictly true that you must be tax resident. You must be Ordinarily Resident and this is defined as: "A person is ordinarily resident if they are normally residing in the UK (apart from temporary or occasional absences)", so this would imply you should be in the UK for likely six months in the year on a routine basis.

To me, this implies that so long as you keep a home in the UK and are routinely averaging six months in the year there, even if you fall below six months from time to time you are still eligible for NHS hospital treatment.

In all likelihood you would therefore BE tax resident if you are ordinarily resident for NHS purposes but there is no formal linkage.

I may choose to return to the UK half-way through the next year and that would make me tax resident for the ENTIRE tax year 2021-22 BUT I would not be entitled to NHS hospital treatment until the day I arrive to resettle.

HOWEVER, anybody visiting the UK is entitled to register at a GP surgery, that will have them, for basic medical services.

I queried the tendering of a passport and proof of address with my doctor's surgery upon arrival six odd years ago and was told the passport was for ID and the address was to establish whether I lived in that doctor's surgery catchment area*. Nothing else, but then Dorset may be less stringent on this than some and I do appreciate that things have 'tightened up' somewhat since then. Indeed, hospital treatment is quite another matter BUT not always if referred by said GP surgery, who commissioned the required treatment.

*Some GP surgeries are way oversubscribed but there is nothing to stop you attempting registering at an out of catchment area surgery if it suits you better or the surgery is particularly commended and if there is space there is no reason why you should not be accepted

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Sep 26th 2020 at 9:22 pm. Reason: Sorry 2021-22 who commissioned the required treatment..
Old Sep 26th 2020, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

When I returned to be resident again in Scotland I went to the Health Centre armed with passport and tenancy agreement. I did not need them They asked me for name of previous GP and from the depths of my fading memory I came up with that.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
When I returned to be resident again in Scotland I went to the Health Centre armed with passport and tenancy agreement. I did not need them They asked me for name of previous GP and from the depths of my fading memory I came up with that.
Indeed in England there is a form GMS1 which basically asks when and where you were born and for previous UK addresses and your previous doctor and NHS number, if you have it.

I had an ancient brown card from the 60s in hand which seemed to get them there - NHS number-wise, along with my long-deceased doctor's name.

Not a problem for the OP.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Sep 26th 2020 at 9:19 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

That was my experience as well registering with a GP in England. Appointment the following week and a repeat prescription written for exactly the same as the one I’d had in the USA.

A year later I was referred to hospital with a heart condition, and I had to bring in proof of residence as well as proof of the right to be resident. British passport and a utility bill in my case.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the process of moving back to Scotland after being resident in Spain for 35+ years.Am hoping I will have a completion on the sale of my property before Brexit takes over.The wheels grind slowly here & I want to go along with my buyer who has a young family whereas I am single & retired.Just this week we ex-pats.have been told that most of UK banks are closing accounts to those who have continued to keep there money & pensions there despite residing in EU.Not my problem but we still don't know if our State pension will be transferred into our bank as usual.Major panic all round as,as usual,there is no proper answer to this from any source.If this pension is not transferable what are we expected to do?Even as a British national living in an EU country ,I have not been allowed to have a bank account account unless I bend the rules & use a UK address & have been stripped of my right to vote because I have been out of Britain for more than 15 years.Only 3 other countries have this ruling,Denmark & 2 African.Rather like a stateless person except,until December 31st.I am still allowed to vote in local elections,courtesy of the Spanish.There are a few Banks however that have paid into the European system which we shall be forced to use.So I shall be arriving on British shores carrying enough Sterling currency to start me off.That is if I have managed to secure a prepaid rental(another problem to sort out)before buying a new new home.And then I will have to wait,hopefully only 1 month,when I can produce a utility bill or something at a Bank who will then allow me to open an account.As an oldie,I am not used to things like on-line banking methods,so another step will be transferring funds from euros into sterling.So much easier on the Continent because we all have an identity card number which is used,as during the war years,for everything.Please don't get me going on the idiocy of the British who objected to this system because we have a fingerprint taken.There is no problem about accessing health care with a GP which is the biggest worry for returning Brits.& you can enter the UK easily on your valid UK passport.Facing me at this moment is,if this sale completes quickly,I need to exit Spain & will immediately face entering UK with a 14 day isolation.Unless that is,should I do a Stanley Johnson ruse,& come back via Gibraltar which I understand is presently OK for entry??
Old Oct 4th 2020, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

People qualify for NHS as residents. No question of payment of tax or NI. There is much misunderstanding of this and people often assume that payment of National Insurance is the determinant. Not so.
Old Oct 8th 2020, 3:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

People qualify for NHS as residents. No question of payment of tax or NI. There is much misunderstanding of this and people often assume that payment of National Insurance is the determinant. Not so.
.... This! That's about all you need to know, except that I would point out that the key word is "resident", not "(British) citizen". In other words, everyone who is legally resident in the UK has unrestricted access to the NHS.

That said, in the case of visa holders there is now usually an "NHS access charge", which is assessed and collected as part of the visa process, not directly by the NHS as a prerequisit to access services or as a result of having used them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.