Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK after 9 years in Australia

Moving back to the UK after 9 years in Australia

Old Apr 3rd 2024, 1:24 am
Just Joined

Aus2UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to the UK after 9 years in Australia

Actually by the time i would be moving back in 12 months, it would have been 10years.
Seperated about a year after we moved here and only stuck around for the kids (who for many many years i had 80/100% custody of.

We all have dual Citizeinship - So the children can freely chose if they want to come or stay here (both will be of an age where they can decide that as opposed to the Hague convention dictating it).

I have plenty of time to plan the move and put things in place for my return. But i am wondering how the following things might work....

My Australian Super:
There will be 50.000-60.000AUD in my Super. Does that just get frozen and paid out in whatever formt it would otherwise have done so, if i had stayed in Australia? When i reach retirement age. OR is there a way to access it earlier and from the UK?

Credit history: Sadly when we left the UK i would say i had a good gredit history personaly. But it wasnt until after seperating that i discovered my wife had left us in a notable amount of debt - Including some that she had accrued in the UK whilst we were in Australia.
It would now be 7-8 years since any activity from my end would have taken place with my UK credit history. And i have a perfect credit history and trating here in Australia.

I am sure that my credit rating here isnt taken into account when i return to the uk? But will i return to a blank page/fresh start rating in the UK that i can do all the right things to cultivate?

UK pension: Obviously i will have forgone 10years of NI contributions - Is that something i need to make up and whats the best way of doing so?

Just as some background - I moved from Worthing West Sussex to Adelaide and West Sussex is where i will return too.

Many thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Old Apr 3rd 2024, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK after 9 years in Australia

Originally Posted by Aus2UK
Actually by the time i would be moving back in 12 months, it would have been 10years.
Seperated about a year after we moved here and only stuck around for the kids (who for many many years i had 80/100% custody of.

We all have dual Citizeinship - So the children can freely chose if they want to come or stay here (both will be of an age where they can decide that as opposed to the Hague convention dictating it).

I have plenty of time to plan the move and put things in place for my return. But i am wondering how the following things might work....

My Australian Super:
There will be 50.000-60.000AUD in my Super. Does that just get frozen and paid out in whatever formt it would otherwise have done so, if i had stayed in Australia? When i reach retirement age. OR is there a way to access it earlier and from the UK?

Credit history: Sadly when we left the UK i would say i had a good gredit history personaly. But it wasnt until after seperating that i discovered my wife had left us in a notable amount of debt - Including some that she had accrued in the UK whilst we were in Australia.
It would now be 7-8 years since any activity from my end would have taken place with my UK credit history. And i have a perfect credit history and trating here in Australia.

I am sure that my credit rating here isnt taken into account when i return to the uk? But will i return to a blank page/fresh start rating in the UK that i can do all the right things to cultivate?

UK pension: Obviously i will have forgone 10years of NI contributions - Is that something i need to make up and whats the best way of doing so?

Just as some background - I moved from Worthing West Sussex to Adelaide and West Sussex is where i will return too.

Hi, I would check with your Aussie super to see if you can contribute money from the uk (both my husband and I can do this so we pay monthly into our Aussie pensions)about your Uk state pension we .. it’s a shame you did not contribute whilst overseas but I understand why some do not (we did know we could lol when we lived in Australia) but that will not matter if you have missed say 10 years and you will be working when you arrive back in the UK, let’s say you are of an age where you will be working for 10 or more years then you will have “made up” those payments as you need to have a total of 35 years work to claim a full state pension. Did you pay off your wife’s debts? Were the debts in both of your names? I have known people (both ways UK-Aus and Aus-UK ) to have “run up debts” thinking they will never return, I know of personally four sets of couples who have knowingly done this and returned to the countries after 10 years and have had no “come back” not fair, not right but hey hoe so you could either chance it if you have not paid them (if your name was also on the account) or maybe check your credit ratings here in the UK. Good luck, I love West Sussex Arundel and Chichester being a fab if mine. Good luck with everything and hope all goes well.

Old Apr 3rd 2024, 1:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

My Australian Super:
As you are a citizen you can't touch your Super until Preservation Age. They can advise you on what age that would be. You can then access it from the UK either as a lump sum or a regular pension

Credit rating there will have no relevance back home. Time for a fresh start. Credit cards like Marbles which will take you with no credit history can help to build it, plus get yourself on the Electoral Roll as soon as you have an address.

ANy debts should now be written off if you have had no contact - even CCJs have a limited life and would be expired by now.

Keep the Aus bank account open for Super, last tax return, etc I've even had four late payments from my employers go into mine since I left.

If you have time before your leave, find out if you can make up Class 2 NI Payments from over there, as its much cheaper Checking online is tricky for non-residents
https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record
If you work when you get home, you'll start paying in again anyway.

I moved back last year to East Sussex after 19 years. Best thing I ever did

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 3rd 2024 at 1:53 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2024, 1:10 am
Just Joined

Aus2UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both for your replies.... And particualry nice to see that moving back to the UK wasnt something you regretted.
I realised that i also meant to ask about car insurance - I know its a trivial thing, but possibly something that has a notable affect on outgoings when i return.

I left the UK in 2015 with a full no claims, no points and an accident free history since passing my test in 1993. Over here in Australia i have the full 5years plus no claims bonus and again no points or accidents.
Will the UK accept my Australian proof on NCB or even be able to recognice my previous UK NCB status? Or do you wind up having to pay the top rate of car insurane on any given car?
I'm really into cars - and it will suck if i am having trouble insuring certain cars becuse none of my doscounts are recognised.
Old Apr 4th 2024, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both for your replies.... And particualry nice to see that moving back to the UK wasnt something you regretted.
I realised that i also meant to ask about car insurance - I know its a trivial thing, but possibly something that has a notable affect on outgoings when i return.

I left the UK in 2015 with a full no claims, no points and an accident free history since passing my test in 1993. Over here in Australia i have the full 5years plus no claims bonus and again no points or accidents.
Will the UK accept my Australian proof on NCB or even be able to recognice my previous UK NCB status? Or do you wind up having to pay the top rate of car insurane on any given car?
I'm really into cars - and it will suck if i am having trouble insuring certain cars becuse none of my doscounts are recognised.
Some insurers will recognize overseas NCD letters. Check ahead of time what they require before canceling your existing car insurance. For example, Aviva accept NCD from the USA but you must also provide a copy of your last car insurance certificate.
Old Apr 4th 2024, 11:34 am
EHM
Just Joined

EHM is an unknown quantity at this point

Car insurance. To help narrow down your list of companies to call around re: foreign NCB I highly recommend using an online comparison tool like the one you can find on Money Savings Expert to get some insurance quotes. I've been in the US for 20+ years and was recently able to get UK car insurance that was comparable to what my UK-based brother had for the same vehicle, including his no claims history. The company (a name I actually recognized) didn't accept foreign NCB but the quote was reasonable enough that I decided not to do any more shopping/phoning around on this particular topic.
Old Apr 4th 2024, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Aus2UK;13247475]Thank you both for your replies.... And particualry nice to see that moving back to the UK wasnt something you regretted.

I'm really into cars - and it will suck if i am having trouble insuring certain cars becuse none of my doscounts are recognised.[/QUOTE
We when moved back from Australia we had a print out of our Aussie no claims bonus insurance form and we used Aviva here in the UK they were brill and it was very simple to insure.