Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK after 7 years in NZ with our toddlers.

Moving back to UK after 7 years in NZ with our toddlers.

Old Feb 2nd 2013, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

Hels41 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK after 7 years in NZ with our toddlers.

Hi All,

After spending a 7 years in NZ (Auckland), myself (I'm from Northern Ireland) and Kiwi husband, 2 kids 3 yrs and 16 months have decided to spend ou next chapter in the UK.

We love NZ, but my 2 sisters have young kids the same years as our, not to mention huge extended family. My husband is in Category Management and this area within Marketing is predominently driven from Europe.

Now face the task our selling our home, obtaining quotes, I'm in the midst of my citizenship application and kids British Passports.

We would happily live in either country, but given my husbands work opportunities, wider family and our genral lifestyle choices (we love culture/history and the access around UK and Europe when we can afford).

Anyone else in the process of making the move back, obtainig quotes for shipping and working out the best things to take/sell I'd love to hear about your experiences.

Cheers
Helen
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 11:04 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK after 7 years in NZ with our toddlers.

Helen,

We (husband and I, no dependents) have been in NZ for nearly 2 years. I imagine returning to the UK (S.E. England) will just, for us at least, be similar to how we left Britain in the first place i.e. just unpick everything here then ship out. The cost will be , just have to worry about that against the day it happens !
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 11:52 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Will your husband be already employed before the move or are you going to have to apply for a spouse visa for him and all the headaches that seems to be causing right now.
We are doing the clean out an sell right now, but we are all Dual and moving from US. No visas needed thank goodness.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

We've just re-located to a new part of UK for OH's job. We were in NZ for 5 years but have been away from UK for 8 years in total. The worst bit is waiting for your stuff to arrive tbh.
It will be hard to decide where to live I expect...at least we only had a certain area determined by job. Everything else has fallen into place and we are happy to be back home. Good luck..make a list on Excel..that always helps.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving back to UK after 7 years in NZ with our toddlers.

we have just moved after 4.5 years in NZ the hardest part for us has been creating an identity ie getting a new bank account
I managed to secure a job so that has helped
Old Feb 6th 2013, 3:04 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one Janeyk. Whereabouts in UK are you ?
Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

we have just moved to Oxfordshire a new area for us so lots of discovering
Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:12 pm

Nice one Janey ! You (and some others) are proof positive that it can be done.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyk
we have just moved after 4.5 years in NZ the hardest part for us has been creating an identity ie getting a new bank account
Glad you found a job more easily this time.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 1:35 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Well done.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

just_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to all

Moved back in 2011 and my toddler loves it over here! Loves the green space, loves his nursery (which is a fraction of what it cost in the USA and they do so much more!), there are so many theme parks/play centres/attractions aimed at children that there's always a nice day out to be had!

My other half is having a hard time finding work (he's been here 7 months) but even in the midst of this low point he loves how our son is growing and developing here.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

one week in the choice is overwhelming it took 2 hours to go round sainsbugs on Friday and came out with loads of treats bill £113 or $200NZD very few treats in Nz weekly shop always in excess of $250NZD
challenge now to reduce this to 30 mins!
Old Feb 12th 2013, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

one week in the choice is overwhelming it took 2 hours to go round sainsbugs on Friday and came out with loads of treats bill £113 or $200NZD very few treats in Nz weekly shop always in excess of $250NZD
challenge now to reduce this to 30 mins!
Lol reminds me of how I first felt on my first shop home after 12 years in Aus at one point I just stood looking at the Crisps and thinking "this is going to take ages"