Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK after 25 years in US

Moving back to the UK after 25 years in US

Old Mar 30th 2021, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

MTC1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to the UK after 25 years in US

Hi there,
So glad I have stumbled upon this forum. I am a British citizen married for 37 years to an American. We lived and worked in the UK for 14 years and raised out daughter (duel citizen) we moved to the US in 1996. 8 years ago my daughter moved back to the UK and is now permanently resident there raising her family.

This year due to COVID we have been unable to visit and so have decided that we cannot be this far away from her and will be looking to move back to the UK in the next year.
Some things about us:
We have a house in the UK , we both have National insurance Nos and British Driving licenses, bank account and a dog :-)
we will be needing to transfer $$$$ from the sale of our US house and also have several IRA accounts and Pensions.
Lot's of questions and don't know where to start
So, I am looking for advice on the steps needed to make this move... Is there a company that specializes in this sort of thing that can do all the paper work?
is there someone on this forum that has done this?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
regards
Michael
Old Mar 30th 2021, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK after 25 years in US

First things first.... does your American wife also have British citizenship? If not, then she'll need a visa to live in the UK
Old Mar 30th 2021, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

No, that was something that we debated while she lived in the UK, but never did she does have an old passport that has a visa allowing her to work.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MTC1983
No, that was something that we debated while she lived in the UK, but never did she does have an old passport that has a visa allowing her to work.
You have been out of the UK for 24 years, and, although you have retained a house in the UK (presume your dog is with you in the US!) you are going to have to obtain a visa for your wife.
The following website gives all info:
https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

There is the Returning resident visa - but, after 24 years out of the country I doubt you would get this:
https://www.gov.uk/returning-resident-visa

The majority of people moving from US to UK, even those who have to get a visa for their spouses , do it themselves as the forms are fairly straightforward.

Moving your pensions and IRA are a whole different matter (most people again seem to leave them where they are) but others can respond on this.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

many thanks for your quick response.
those look like good links - checking them out now.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I moved back to England after 29 years away and we continue to manage our US pensions, private and SS, and IRAs from England.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks! that good to know. So the pension etc is paid into a US bank that you then transfer from to UK?
do you use a service to do your US tax returns?
would you mind sharing some of your other steps that you took when you moved back?

Last edited by MTC1983; Mar 30th 2021 at 7:06 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! that good to know. So the pension etc is paid into a US bank that you then transfer from to UK?
do you use a service to do your US tax returns?
would you mind sharing some of your other steps that you took when you moved back?
We have a US bank into which my US private pensions are paid and which is linked to our brokerage for transfer of funds to and from.

We use TransferWise to move money over. We plan on having SS paid directly to our UK bank.

We also have an after tax dividend paying equity fund that we converted to an HMRC reporting fund so it receives the lower UK tax rates for dividends and capital gains.

We both did voluntary NI contributions so we get close to the max of the OAP.

We do use a tax service to do our returns.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

did you figure all this out yourself, or have someone steer you?
Old Mar 30th 2021, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

did you figure all this out yourself, or have someone steer you?
Just forums like this over the years plus webinars and such.

There is a webinar on April 1st for example on taxes.

https://www.greenbacktaxservices.com...ments-webinar/

List of documents for taxes

http://info.greenbacktaxservices.com...=hs_automation
Old Mar 30th 2021, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou - I just registered for the Greenbacks webinar.
Old Apr 1st 2021, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

There was a lot of good info - didn't know anything about FBAR :-(
Old Apr 1st 2021, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

There was a lot of good info - didn't know anything about FBAR :-(
Glad you found it informative.
Old Apr 3rd 2021, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

Frankie0089 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad
We have a US bank into which my US private pensions are paid and which is linked to our brokerage for transfer of funds to and from.

We use TransferWise to move money over. We plan on having SS paid directly to our UK bank.

We also have an after tax dividend paying equity fund that we converted to an HMRC reporting fund so it receives the lower UK tax rates for dividends and capital gains.

We both did voluntary NI contributions so we get close to the max of the OAP.

We do use a tax service to do our returns.
Hi Durham Lad, I’m just curious - did you have to maintain a US address in order to manage your private pension? My financial advisor told me I will need to keep one as the financial institution my IRA is with is not licensed to do business overseas. Why would this be an issue if I maintained a US bank account?
Old Apr 3rd 2021, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Frankie0089
Hi Durham Lad, I’m just curious - did you have to maintain a US address in order to manage your private pension? My financial advisor told me I will need to keep one as the financial institution my IRA is with is not licensed to do business overseas. Why would this be an issue if I maintained a US bank account?
I do use a correspondence US address for the Brokerage holding our IRAs but I’m not sure it is necessary, although I believe not having a US bank would be a problem. For my 2 US private pensions they only have my UK address but again they pay into my US bank. Our US bank only has our UK address.

At a webinar this week by Greenback Taxes this question or similar was asked and they suggested that if you don’t have a relative or friend whose address you could use then a mail forwarding service doesn’t cost very much and is a street address rather than a PO Box. Good info for me because our daughter plans to leave the USA in 5 to 10 years time should I need to maintain a US address for the brokerage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.