moving back to the UK

Old Sep 19th 2004, 10:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving back to the UK

Originally Posted by honeymommy
I believe what you are talking about is someone with both US and UK passports using the UK passport to leave USA and enter UK, then using the USA passport to leave UK and enter USA.... Basically it's to avoid the screening on arrival as citizens join a different line to go through passport control...... No visa entry checks etc......
I think it's the other way around, you should use the US to enter the States and vice-versa
Old Sep 19th 2004, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I think it's the other way around, you should use the US to enter the States and vice-versa
Thats what I said....

Have to leave USA on UK passport to enter UK on UK Passport
Then...
leave UK on US passport to enter US on US passport.

(This is what friends have done).

I may be wrong but from my understanding they have the passport number linked to the boarding card.... If you got on the flight from USA using your USA passport then on arrival in UK used your UK passport it would be noticed and I do believe that is unnaceptable...

I could be wrong.....
Old Sep 20th 2004, 12:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest - why does your eldest have a Certificate of Registration?
Are you a British citizen yourself and were you born or naturalised in the UK?

Children have certificates of registration in less usual circumstances - for example, if the British father is not married to the (non-British) mother, or the British parent is British 'by descent'

If for some reason the kids are not British citizens, then you will need to register them as British. But if they are British citizens already, they just need passports.

Taking them to the UK on US passports is not a good idea if you are going there to live, as opposed to just for a holiday.

Jeremy

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
Thanks Jeremy, you're right it's a certificate of registration my eldest has
so rather than go to the expense of obtaining these for my other two you reckon a british passport is best?
I'm considering moving back to U.k for good and have been adivised by U.K consulate to have kids on U.S passports but won't we then have trouble when we arrive and i claim that we are gonna stay for good? I'm i suppose to use U.S passports when leaving the U.s but show U.k when we arrive to U.k is this legal?....getting confused ..advice welcome
Old Sep 20th 2004, 12:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honeymommy
Thats what I said....

Have to leave USA on UK passport to enter UK on UK Passport
Then...
leave UK on US passport to enter US on US passport.

(This is what friends have done).

I may be wrong but from my understanding they have the passport number linked to the boarding card.... If you got on the flight from USA using your USA passport then on arrival in UK used your UK passport it would be noticed and I do believe that is unnaceptable...

I could be wrong.....
A US passport must *always* be shown to US government officials.

However there are no INS passport checks on exit, so the only people looking at your passport when leaving the US are airline staff. Generally here it's better to show the airline the passport you intend to use at the destination (UK) and only show the other one if the airline wants to know why you don't have an I94.

Same applies when leaving the UK for the US - show the airline your US passport first. There are no UK government passport checks on exit (yet).

When I fly between the UK and Australia, I usually show both UK and Australian passports to the airline, an Australian passport to Australian officials (who check your passport on the way in and out) and a British passport to Home Office officials (who only check on the way in).

It's not a good idea to show two passports to government officials, although if they ask you about your other passport you should tell them.

Jeremy
Old Sep 20th 2004, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

bodmin13 will become famous soon enough

I am a British citizen by birth, my husband is American by birth. We live in Okinawa Japan at the moment on military orders. Our son was born in Japan and we had to register him as an American through the base, no problem, we decided that we wanted to register him in England as well so we downloaded the forms from the internet and sent them to the embassy in DC with a money order for $145, now, they sent the papers to the embassy in Japan and within 6 weeks we had a certificate to say that Jackson was born in Japan but is registered as British and the same kind of certificate for the US.
When we went back to England for a holiday with Jackson on an American passport, we went to Peterborough to the passport office gave them the passport form and showed his certificate and we had a passport within 5 DAYS. I don't know if the cert is really needed but for us it was more of a symbolic thing, he has an American cert that he can see, why not have a British one as well