Wikiposts

Moving back from spain

Old Nov 17th 2009, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

simba123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back from spain

Hi All

Wonder if anybody can give me a bit of advice on the following.

My Mother and Father in law moved to menorca 23 years ago to run a bar. Their daughter went with them (she was only 13 at the time) she has since had 2 daughters both born out there and is pregnant with another child. Everything was going fine my father in law purchased a bar out there my sister in law worked for him and they planned to stay for life. Unfortunately because of the recession the bar has gone completely downhill and is now worth a third of the value that it was originally (all mortgaged). My father in law had a stroke last year and is now disabled his wife has to care for him she is 68 and therefore is struggling. They are now all talking about coming back to England but have no where to live and no money to be able to put up for private housing deposits etc would they be entitled to any sorts of benefits. My father in law is in a wheelchair so would have to be housed on the ground floor. Also would my sister in laws children be entitled to healthcare schooling etc as they were not born in the country

Thanking you in advance for your help
Old Nov 18th 2009, 4:01 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back from spain

Originally Posted by simba123
Hi All

Wonder if anybody can give me a bit of advice on the following.

My Mother and Father in law moved to menorca 23 years ago to run a bar. Their daughter went with them (she was only 13 at the time) she has since had 2 daughters both born out there and is pregnant with another child. Everything was going fine my father in law purchased a bar out there my sister in law worked for him and they planned to stay for life. Unfortunately because of the recession the bar has gone completely downhill and is now worth a third of the value that it was originally (all mortgaged). My father in law had a stroke last year and is now disabled his wife has to care for him she is 68 and therefore is struggling. They are now all talking about coming back to England but have no where to live and no money to be able to put up for private housing deposits etc would they be entitled to any sorts of benefits. My father in law is in a wheelchair so would have to be housed on the ground floor. Also would my sister in laws children be entitled to healthcare schooling etc as they were not born in the country

Thanking you in advance for your help
Mother and father in law should be OK from day 1, and should be entitled to benefits, they will be eligible for NHS healthcare as well, but will have to show that they are permanently back, usually a rental contract or utility bill will suffice.Not sure about sister in laws children, but as she is a UK citizen, then they should be OK, BUT it depends on whether her husband will be with her, you don't mention him, if they are the children of a Spanish national, and he will not be coming with her, then there are problems as she will need hi permission to take the children out of Spain to live.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

simba123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply. My sister in law has split up with her husband who already lives in England. She will be moving over with her new partner he is English (she is pregnant so would need healthcare). Have spoken to her and she has a bank loan that she is unable to pay out right so will be offering instalments would this affect her habitual residency (I think that’s what its called). My mother and father in law would be unable to show a rental contract or bill as they have no where to live over here (they may be able to stay with us for a week or two but we only have a three bedroom house and two children of our own) would they automatically be housed even if it was in temporary accommodation. Like I said previously they will be coming back with no money so would the council have to help them? He is disabled and I don’t think he would be able to go into bed and breakfast. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 8:17 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simba123
Thanks for your reply. My sister in law has split up with her husband who already lives in England. She will be moving over with her new partner he is English (she is pregnant so would need healthcare). Have spoken to her and she has a bank loan that she is unable to pay out right so will be offering instalments would this affect her habitual residency (I think that’s what its called). My mother and father in law would be unable to show a rental contract or bill as they have no where to live over here (they may be able to stay with us for a week or two but we only have a three bedroom house and two children of our own) would they automatically be housed even if it was in temporary accommodation. Like I said previously they will be coming back with no money so would the council have to help them? He is disabled and I don’t think he would be able to go into bed and breakfast. Any advice would be appreciated.

Can't really help on the accommodation, but I would search online and you can fill in forms there or at least get them printed off so that you have a head start on things, and go to the local council offices as soon as possible, in fact you could go there and ask them exactly what the situation would be. They are usually friendly and want to help, they realise that this is happening.