Moving back to scotland

Old Apr 13th 2022, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

susanmountain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to scotland

we are leaving Ontario too, back to Yorkshire. we rent in Ontario, landlord has got new tenants... we paid $2750 3 years ago until now, landlord is now asking $4200, we had lots of viewings for the first day, then the realtor cancelled them all... rented overnight unseen... its crazy.

The deck is complete wrecked, windows blown, landlord did nothing about it while we lived there, now they cant get contractors to repair, I hope the new tenants know about this.

55% rnt increase in 3 years, nobody has a chance of living a good life with these prices
Old Apr 13th 2022, 3:39 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Largs is like many seaside towns throughout the UK and has been in decline over several years.
I was there about 2 months ago and it was very busy with people walking around and a problem to find a parking space.
Part of the problem may be because of the pandemic but there were several empty shop units and a couple of banks had disappeared.
Helensburgh; Largs and Ayr have been badly affected.
Nardini's is still there and we tried to get a coffee but they were full.
The other cafes available were not appealing and we ended up in a rather grubby Starbucks (I think it was Starbucks).
We used the sea front carpark but the exit barrier went faulty and we had to sit and wait until someone came to open it.
We didn't stay long apart from the queue to exit the carpark.
A walk along the front towards the Pencil is always nice but it was blowing a hoolie and we didn't bother.
I think that Ayr - once a lovely thriving town - is the worst.
Yes, this seems to be the same all over. Bank branches closing seems unavoidable, but seems to hit some towns worse than others. Where I am in Norfolk, there were three banks five years ago, now just one. And I think with the really elderly, having to adopt online banking as a necessity rather than a choice gets harder and harder, with the two factor authentication etc. Not only do you need a computer or tablet, but now you need a mobile phone too, something that many people (me included) had happily lived without till banking started to make it essential..

Yup seaside resorts ain’t what they used to be, but so long as I can walk on the beach, get a cup of tea, and maybe fish & chips, I’m happy!
Old Apr 15th 2022, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

joleah is an unknown quantity at this point

Ontario especialy GTA terrible for house prices or renting young people no chance now to buy my daughter bought 5 years ago moving back to UK on 14 May can buy a house outright for around 170000 Canadian I personaly cannot stand it we are retiring back to south ayrshire leave Sat 23 .....................................
Old Apr 15th 2022, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

joleah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to scotland

Funny met one of our neighbours walking her wee cairn terrier blue with the -10 weather asked me why are you moving back to Scotland then got the usual speech things have changed people have moved on do you miss the pub more opertunities here.What planet is she on its tough in ontario housing rent hikes shoveling snow sweating in summer My daughter has or had her own buisness no benifits no dental if she gets sick she is done 3 lockdowns almost finished her.As for myself $500 dental bill when I go to get my wifes meds or mine I get oh sorry goverment dosnt cover them No sorry warts and all give me Scotland leave this Saturday will never look back......................
Old Apr 18th 2022, 12:55 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joleah
Funny met one of our neighbours walking her wee cairn terrier blue with the -10 weather asked me why are you moving back to Scotland then got the usual speech things have changed people have moved on do you miss the pub more opertunities here.What planet is she on its tough in ontario housing rent hikes shoveling snow sweating in summer My daughter has or had her own buisness no benifits no dental if she gets sick she is done 3 lockdowns almost finished her.As for myself $500 dental bill when I go to get my wifes meds or mine I get oh sorry goverment dosnt cover them No sorry warts and all give me Scotland leave this Saturday will never look back......................
We are just over the bridge from Prescott, Ontario, in northern New York.

The worst thing about the bitterly cold weather in April, with snow (sorry, “wintry mix..”) is that one day, it just tips over to 86 degrees (Fahrenheit) and mosquitoes. Forget about spring.
Old Apr 22nd 2022, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

We also found Ontario everyday life to be expensive, especially housing. Toronto was a forget it, so we tried a small Ontario rural town where housing prices were much more reasonable. But the constant snow, shoveling, and cold in winters along with isolation and loneliness drove us nearly insane. So, back to Chicago (weather not much better) until we plan our move to UK or Europe.
Old Apr 25th 2022, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Hetts is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there
Really interested to know how you bought the house in South Ayrshire as I too am looking to move back and watching the housing market closely at the moment (I'm in NZ). Did you buy on a visit, did you buy remotely or did you get someone to look for you? I ask as I've seen a few bungalows that I like but they are selling quickly at the moment. Whereabouts in South Ayrshire did you buy? I'm looking between Girvan and Ayr.

Many thanks
Old Jun 5th 2022, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

sheilamarsco is on a distinguished road

re the comments on largs ayrshire. there are some lovely small towns near largs, ardrossan one of them. beautiful beach, very clean and never busy good communications to glasgow 40mins. and the other ayrshire towns such as kilmarnock, ayr and prestwick airport.
Old Jun 6th 2022, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Hetts is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you - I don't know the Largs area, but will have a look
Old Jun 14th 2022, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

https://wise.com/ its an international money transfer service abit like Western Union.
I have been back in Scotland 4 weeks now, we moved from Calgary, opened a Bank of Scotland account online very easy. I exchanged my Alberta License for UK one took one week, used that and passport for ID, once ID was verified couple of hours my account was up and running and I could transfer money from RBC account. The bank card and PIN took about a week to arrive .

Last edited by neilcumming; Jun 14th 2022 at 6:45 am.
Old Jul 1st 2022, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

Gizmo6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
hope you can help. My sister is moving back to Lake district and possibly Scotland. She has not lived or been back to UK for at least 17 years. This will be a permanent move back is there anything that stops her having the right to work back here. She never gave up her British citizenship. She has a job to come to also...if anyone can help with anything She needs to sort out legally it would be a great help
Many thanks
Kirstin
Old Jul 1st 2022, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gizmo6
Hi
hope you can help. My sister is moving back to Lake district and possibly Scotland. She has not lived or been back to UK for at least 17 years. This will be a permanent move back is there anything that stops her having the right to work back here. She never gave up her British citizenship. She has a job to come to also...if anyone can help with anything She needs to sort out legally it would be a great help
Many thanks
Kirstin
If she already has a job to go to, then one presumes the company has confirmed she is a Brit and has full rights to work as soon as she get there.
Nothing legal to sort out......
Old Jul 1st 2022, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Many thanks
Kirstin
Just to add to SanDiego girl, if your sister holds a UK passport there should be no question regarding right to work and access to NHS health care as far as proof. If no passport, it would be best to apply and receive one before the move.
Old Jul 2nd 2022, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Brit passport and NI number good to go.
Old Jul 2nd 2022, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Many thanks
Kirstin
As per the answers above she just needs her UK passport to move back and start accessing healthcare etc on Day 1.

There may be some things she could do before moving that would makes things easier such as ensuring she will have full access to her US finances such as banks and brokerages (IRAs and 401ks) once she moves overseas.